1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anybody else feel this way too?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by JJK, Jun 16, 2013.

1. JJK

JJK Loaded Pockets

Small VS. LargeR pocket knives

On a normal everyday basis I generally rotate through either a Vic Spartan or Pioneer or a Spyderco Delica or a mini Grip.

So I just got done watching this video on you tube...

And although I appreciate the concept of carrying a small knife which is very pragmatic for city life, and I really want to believe this, I just feel that as soon as I do(opt for something smaller) I'll need something bigger. So I attempted to take the challenge myself substituting a Leatherman style CS; and I'm sitting through this 3 day all day convention and my wife whips out this SOFT peanut-butter Powerbar and I am thinking 'alright, lets cut this in half with the Leatherman' ...what a pain in the butt that was and ultimately wound up only scoring the thing and had to just break it in half...so it really was just a FAIL. Wished I had a real knife like I normally do!

Ironic how at the end of the video- even though the little knife sufficed, he went back to the full sized blade.

nightowl likes this.
  2. Syclone

Syclone Loaded Pockets

Primary and secondary. :)

GrayMouser, grids7, nightowl and 2 others like this.
  3. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

^^ Yep, what he said, at a minimum.;)

nightowl likes this.
  4. Mighty Max
    • In Omnia Paratus

Mighty Max Loaded Pockets

Always. Now that I have a big knife :D

And I started carrying a third for food.

5. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I don't need a knife every single day, but when I do, rarely would a Vic Classic be sufficient.

if you don't count the blades on multitools, I usually have two knives on me.

One is the Boker Keycom, which is a small knife to be sure, but with a very versatile clip blade with a very pointy tip, one hand opener and liner lock. Sturdy little knife. Now that one I could almost say is the only knife I need, but I'd hate to try to slice up an apple with it.

So I usually have a Case folding knife along as well. Not what anyone would call large (3 5/8" closed) but large enough for those occasions when the Keycom's blade is too small.

Last edited by J_C, Jun 17, 2013
    nightowl likes this.
  6. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

VIc Rogue on the keychain, get used most often. Larger blade in the right rear pocket, sometimes used, more than enough for sandwiches. Spyderco Rescue 79mm in the waistband, for emergencies.

Belush2 and nightowl like this.
  7. VKX

VKX Loaded Pockets

Personally I struggle with this because as soon as you separate the food and defense knives the defense knife becomes unarguably a WEAPON rather than a tool you could defend yourself with. In some settings I guess that's inconsequential but for me working in an office that's kind of a big deal. At the same time though, anything that feels reasonable to take out and cut up carry-out food or fruit doesn't seem sufficient for self defense.

Wish I could find something right around 3.5", fast to deploy, profile on the thin side and that looked totally non-threatening.

grids7 and sungame like this.
  8. Syclone

Syclone Loaded Pockets

IMO knives suck for defense. You might want to look into something else for self defense.

9. VKX

VKX Loaded Pockets

Oh absolutely. Big flashlight and a handgun, if not a long gun. But I can't get away with walking around in the office with those either! :p

I think a small knife is better than nothing and I have justification in every day tasks to be carrying one even if most people don't. Just like a small flashlight or anything else.

nightowl likes this.
  10. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

I have to agree as do about 6000 people way more trained than myself. If you use a knife in a fight chances are good you're gonna get cut. and chances are even higher you're gonna be arrested for Aggravated Assault with a deadly weapon. Carry what non weapon knives you will and just retreat, or atleast retreat back to a more suitable weapon. Knives are covertly viewed by the court as Aggressive and deviant. I personally don't agree with this but have seen good use encounters go bad numerous times. Even LEO's fall prey to this philosophy. and if you do beat the criminal rap, The Civil implications will cost you BIG.

11. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

I always carry a plane edge and a serrated/combo for different cutting jobs
    During work, I use the knife on one of my multi tools for PE cutting

12. The Wylingus

The Wylingus Empty Pockets

The SAK classic is about all that is necessary for day to day but there's no arguing against the comfort and ease of use of a full size knife that fits your whole hand, that's why I carry both. Although I don't carry anything for self defense I always imagined a little pepper spray would be more effective that any bladed or molded weapon; it's ranged, non-lethal, and severely incapacitates the threat.

13. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I'd rather use a chair than a knife.

14. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Absolutely!

I've downsized a lot of my edc stuff, and two factors had a lot to do with it. 1. I'm a city boy, born and bred in Washinton D.C., and even now as a suburbanite in the Maryland suburbs to the north of D.C. I just don't need much knife. A Vic classic rides on my car keys, and a small dedicated knife is in the pocket. A Case peanut, Vic bantam, Vic recruit, Opinel number 6, or a Buck 309 companion are some of the knives in rotation. If I need a screw driver, I have a Sear's 4-way keychain one in my wallet, along with my old issue P-38 to deal with cans. They both go in the zipper compartment of my Eagle Creek wallet. A Fenix E01 is my edc flashlight.

I love the Vic classic. It deals with small flat and phiilips screws, the scissors are really sharp and deal with careful trimming of stuff, and blade does 99% of what I have to cut in the great wilds of American suburbia. Opens mail, UPS boxes, cuts twine for the tomato plants out back, slices out those foil seals in windshield washer bottles, and the tweezers are useful for splinters. I even got a thorn out from between the paw pads of our welsh corgi once in the woods.

If I was going hunting or fishing, or fighting off Chinese paratroopers, I'd go with a larger knife. But for a retired old fart in suburbia, the little classic is just fine. It leaves room in my pockets for other things I've found useful in my retirement. A small collapsible magnifying glass for older eyes to see little things well, RONCO pocket defibrillator in case of vapor lock, arthritis meds in a Bison capsule on my keyring.

I don't carry a knife for defense, just a cutting tool. If I have to fight my way out of the unruly mob at the senior citizen center, I have my cane which is a stout blackthorn stick or a hornbeam of my own making. I have a nice all metal pen in my pocket. Then there are chairs, bar stools, pitchers, lug wrench, entrenching tool, fire extinguishers, pool sticks, trash can lids, frying pans, and all sorts of things that can be pressed into service to wack and bludgeon with. I'll always go with old fashioned blunt force truma over sticking someone with a silly little 3 inch blade knife, if I carried a knife with a blade that long, which I don't. In these days of blood bourne diseases, I really don't want some low lives germs all over me in a struggle. Knife fights are something I don't aspire to experience. Besides, a Case peanut makes a poor weapon.

15. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

I'm in the "smaller does work fine" crowd. :cool:
    I spent 2.5 years with my only EDC knife being a Case Peanut(I was mainly inspired to try it to begin with by jackknifes post at another forum). I was pleasantly surprised. It will do anything and everything I need a knife for 95% of the time, with a little care, patience, and skill. I opted back to other knives, yes, for more comfortable handles, and specialized tasks, but mainly just for variety. The spice of life as they say.
    I still always have a Peanut on me.

G.

Darth_Firebolt likes this.
  16. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

There is smaller, and then there is too small. IMHO, a Vic Classic is just too small to be of any real use. Leatherman Micra, Squirt or Style CS are just about big enough, and a "real" SAK like a Pioneer or even a Cadet is better still. This does not only have to do with blade size, but also blade shape and the size of the handle. In really small tools, really small differences may have a big impact.

warchild likes this.
  17. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I'm with the "two knives" camp: a Vic Classic (the tools I use the most are the scissors, followed by the tweezers and the toothpick) and a larger 3.5" blade with a pocket clip.

18. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Yep. Me too. A Delica or similar sized knife rfp or iwb, and a Wenger micro tool box on the tool fob next to the keys. BTW... I am a Vic fan, but this little Wenger is superior IMHO to the Vic classic line. It has an eyeglass screwdriver built in, so I feel comfortable without my full size Vic, an awl that needs a little sandpaper treatment to bring it to its fullest potential, but is ALWSOME! The main blade is slightly larger tan the Vic, with more belly. The scissors are serrated and the spring system is more robust. Get them while you can, I dont know if Vic will keep them around!

19. grids7

grids7 Loaded Pockets

I actually end up with three knives/blades on me, but they fit into the dichotomy of large/small, preferred/for-the-squeamish paradigm. I carry the PM2 as my preferred blade for cutting, but have the Vic Silver Alox Cadet for cutting in my work environment (university) that gets more of the "that's cute" as opposed to "Oh my God!" reactions. Also have the Leatherman Style CS, which has a blade I don't use - I have it for the scissors. On which I discovered *rust* this weekend :frantic:.

20. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

This is my typical carry combo. Hard to tell the size here but the Boker KeyCom's blade is about 1.5"

[​IMG]

vegassprky and warchild like this.