1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anybody edc a Swisschamp?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Grateful, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Grateful

Grateful Loaded Pockets

Just wondering how many if any of you good people edc the big-ol Swisschamp. I have been trying it since Saturday. I started out carrying it in a nice older leather Vic. sheath but found that it was a little thick and also rode to high. Switched to a black nylon Vic. sheath with velcro closure and it is pretty comfortable now.
    Would love to hear any thoughts or experiences anybody might have.
    Jim

2. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I have done on occasion but then got loads of other SAKs so had more choice.

The slightly smaller Craftsman gives me everything I need, or a Cybertool 34 for urban type stuff. I will hang both of those in a pocket from a P-7 clip or similar, and they are fairly comfy.

3. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

I carry my dad's old swisschamp in my pocket daily. Its quite bulky, but I like that about it. How do you find carrying it in a sheath?

4. Grateful

Grateful Loaded Pockets

It carries nice in the nylon sheath. The bonus for me of sheath carry is that it is easy to get to while sitting, especially in a car. Plus it frees up my pocket for other stuff.
    I would like to try some sort of belt hanger or some such thing. Something to keep it out of the bottom of my pocket.
    Jim

5. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

I carried a Swisschamp for many years in the past, some years in pocket, some in its leather sheath. Now, when I carry a Swisschamp it is always in my pants pocket hanged by a "coupler", this way it is kept high and vertical.

Like this:
    [​IMG]

Thoughts about the SwissChamp... Well, there were very few times in my everyday life that I needed a tool and SwissChamp didn't have one that could do the job. There are so many out of the ordinary solutions that can be made possible if you carry a SwissChamp that even after 20+++ years owning one, I still find new ways to solve problems using its tools.

gibbsrule9 and Grateful like this.
  6. Grateful

Grateful Loaded Pockets

Aleister, one of the things I really like about the Swisschamp is all the options that it provides. Just add a little imagination.
    Jim

JAfromMn and Aleister like this.
  7. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

Well, since I've got the camera out.... This is with me whenever I go out.

[​IMG]

Aleister likes this.
  8. smashie

smashie Loaded Pockets

I haven't had mine long and to be honest I don't know I've gone for so long without it.

It sits in my pocket in the leather sheath when I'm working and on my belt when I'm not.

9. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

For a good number of years, a Swisschamp was my only SAK or multi-tool of any kind. It carried easily in a nylon belt pouch, had every implement that might be needed for the pickup chores that come up day to day. Over time I used every tool for something, except the small back spring mounted screwdriver, often for purposes they weren't intended to perform.

For the last several years, Leatherman tools have largely displaced the well worn Champ, but I still carry it occasionally, most often by belt hanger consisting of shoelace and swivel clip into RF pocket. That works best with jeans or other tight fitting pants with high pockets, where even despite the bulk it rides almost unnoticed until needed (not so good in regular slacks).

My Champ always comes with me when traveling, especially to where locking blades are not street legal. It's a good icebreaker for youngsters (and adults!) who are always fascinated as I draw out each implement and explain what it does. Around the nabe, kids call me "Knifeman.":dance:

10. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I lugged one around 30 years ago. Now it sits in my nightstand drawer and I carry the minichamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I did for about 3 years in my pocket. It wasn't a problem. I eventually downsized to a Craftsman and now a Ranger.

12. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

The biggest I can EDC is a Ranger. The SwissChamp is might have every tool under the sun, but it just doesn't feel good in my hand.

13. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

I tried for a couple of days, but it was just too awkward of a size for me. Even with the super duper coolness factor of a Skinth, it wasn't enough tool per weight ratio, might as well carry a full size Leatherman at that point.

[​IMG]

Aleister likes this.
  14. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I think I'm going to give my swisschamp a work out tomorrow.

I don't EDC one but there a great tool.

15. smashie

smashie Loaded Pockets

True, but locking blades are a no no here. With a good reason (working) I do carry my Surge, but it stays in my bag until I need it.

metropolicity likes this.
  16. Grateful

Grateful Loaded Pockets

So far I am getting used to the weight and bulk of the Swisschamp. I do think carrying the Swisschamp officially makes me a geek tho.
    Jim

17. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

Nah. Wait until you have the irresistible urge to rock an XAVT.

18. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Vic's Swisschamp is the most tool dense SAK that is still manageable to carry and use. Most hands can wrap around the body of the thing and the tools as easy to use as on smaller SAKs. It weighs under 7 oz., which the backpacking ultralight fraternity agrees is the maximum that can still be carried easily. All larger models are basically manufacturer's promotional stunts. It is hard for me to understand what gets into people who actually carry an XAVT on a daily (or any!) basis. Do they actually exist? Such disturbed souls can not be classified as geeks, because even those have contact with and relevance to the real world. :rolleyes_revamped:

19. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I carry a Swiss Champion Plus which seems to be the same length and have all the tools contained in the SwissCamp except the pliers. I don't like carrying in a sheath or in my pocket, so it rides in my EDC bag, secured in a Grid-It.

20. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

If I had to choose only one SAK (maybe one knife, period), it would probably be a SwissChamp. Mine doesn't always get carried daily, but I do keep in in my vehicle in case I want/need it while out and about. It has seen some pretty decent use both as sportsman's knife, and in yearly archaeology field schools. Also, as part of my edc in times past. Has held up fine. Although, I've carried it in my pocket without any problems, I think the best method is the Victorinox leather belt pouch with clip. It can be put on or off the belt very easily.
    [​IMG]