1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anybody criticize your EDC?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by xDANx, Jun 2, 2006.

1. n800

n800 Loaded Pockets

I am always surprised when people ask why I carry a knife while I am opening something with it right in front of them.

2. LinuxHack3r

LinuxHack3r Empty Pockets

I get odd looks from carrying flashlights. Furthermore, and ironically, my Fiance's Mom and Fiance's cousin have both ask very intruiged about where I bought my Surefires, as if they liked them, and expected to be able to buy one for less than $10 at some "hidden store" in town they haven't seen them at. After they found it "ridiculous" to pay that much for a light. Not my fault my E2DL and E1B cost just a little bit more than my G2L. I want one of the newer G2's...;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ever since I was in high school (20 plus years ago). Most people just don't see the need for a bandana, knife, flashlight, and multi tool. Constant ribbing for my whole life. I didn't even now I was an EDC guy until a few months ago when I stumbled on this website. It is nice to know that there are others. UNITE!

4. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

WORD Brother!!!!

5. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

I got criticized recently by a non-EDC buddy for not having something. We were at a gun show and I didn't to know the size of something to know if it would fit in a safe. My buddy said "You don't have a tape measure on you?" and then he pulled out his car keys with a small tape measure on the ring (and a big smile on his face). I haven't found one to add to my stuff yet but I will.

6. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

My girlfriend actually bragged about me getting her a flashlight and SAK to carry in her purse. :smitten:
    That made me happy when everyone else is asking why I carry this stuff.

7. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

:crackup: My girlfriend just added one to her keychain this weekend. In a lot of cases, you should be able to find it in the "hardware" section of your local pharmacy or the office supply store.

Big box hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) should also have them, but sometimes the lines aren't worth it for a single small item.

If all else fails, and you can piggyback it on a large order, there is always Amazon.

ATB,
    Sam

8. rosshs

rosshs Loaded Pockets

the only criticism i've ever had was along the lines of "you.ve got a plastic spork? They do titanium ones you know". Everyone i work with all have the same kind of mentalitly, even the ones who don't carry very much. Guess i'm lucky.

9. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I have already posted once in this thread but I still think I must have always been around people from Mars. Not once have I got criticism. Even in the City I didn't get any. I worked at Eli Lilly's corporate offices at one time and not once did anyone bat an eye including security. In college, nope. On ranches, never.

Now I have seen others get some criticism but those where a different kind of criticism. The new comers at the NSS would sometimes show up with all kinds of gear and someone would explain what they have will not work in this environment and they would get some loaner gear. At some backpacking events people would get some criticism about what and how they where carrying and that they lacked the more important items. In work environments I would on a rare occasion here someone say it is going to be harder with that.

10. burnd4life

burnd4life Loaded Pockets

The girlfriend thinks I’m overly paranoid, but deals with it as long as I don’t start EDCing a tin foil hat and my friend used to tease me about my “man purse,” when I carried my fatboy, but not so much anymore since I switched over to a sitka.

11. bxstylez

bxstylez Empty Pockets

i always get asked, "you carry a flashlight back home?" when taking it out of my locker after work

i always say, "well i gotta recharge it" --when i really dont need to

12. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

All my friends have realized i don't even sit around the house without at least light and knife. I use then both daily, and after a few uses nobody questions it.

13. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

i overheard my wifes family ask her why do i carry a lighter if i dont smoke. and she said, "why does he carry a knife and a flashlight?". we'll see who gets help when they need a flashlight or a knife or any other edc item i carry.

14. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Any more my wife makes fun of me when I DON'T carry my EDC stuff. The other day I went to write a check and realized I had forgotten my pen. My wife couldn't believe it. She was shocked!

My co-workers, on the other hand, think I'm weird. The other day we were looking at a piece of machinery in a dark spot. I handed someone else my work flashlight. Then I pulled out my EDC personal light. My co-worker's eyes bulged and he said "Dang! How many of those things DO you carry?" I didn't show him my back-up that was also in my pocket. :winkwink:

15. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I guess yours was a heck of alot brighter than the work flashlight. I know that is how it is where I work they have a few cheapo 2 D battery flashlights for emergencies and I don't think they even check the batteries.

16. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yup! We have Streamlight 4AA Polymers. They're nice lights, but I had a Sunwayman M10A in my pocket that blew it away.

17. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I've had people notice some of the stuff I carry in my pockets, but I haven't had anyone make fun of me or be a critic. Just the other night one of my children's teachers came up to me during a Christmas play, and asked if he could borrow a flashlight to rig onto one of the music stands. We are friends outside of school, so he is aware that I tend to carry such things in my pockets at all times. He's a relatively recent refugee, California city boy (not a reflection on all California "City Boys" of course), who accepted a job teaching on the other side of the country. It's kinda funny, but he now finds himself living the life of a tenant farmer, on a large rural farmstead. He generally has no concept of self-reliance, and although it was obviously a bit foreign to him, he doesn't fault me because I do. That said, life on the farm, and the rural drive to and from work, seem to be causing him to catch on a bit.

18. airsickness

airsickness Loaded Pockets

Everyone around me gives me a hard time about all the crap in my pockets or edc bag. Whats best though. Is the minute someone needs a light, knife, lighter, clipper, rope, paracord, needle-nose or a band-aid, I hear " go see uncle Kenny" he has all that sh**.

19. agentofwrath2

agentofwrath2 Empty Pockets

I've had people criticize me for my EDC carrying, but they are always the ones that need to use it. And other people like having someone around that is prepared.

20. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

But dude... Titanium things are sooo much cooler than plastic, you really do need to upgrade to a Ti spork... :p