1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anybody CCW a wheelgun?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by IMightBeWrong, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Tony D.

Tony D. Loaded Pockets

I occasionally carry a model 36 S&W Chiefs special its a sweet little J frame that fits the pocket just right. Its only for when I am in a hurry to leave and dont want to put the IWB holster on. .38 is not my round of choice but its better than .380. I Like my 9mm better. I have thought about carrying my S&W 686 .357 of which I have 2. the smaller is a 4 inch barrel and is doable but pushing it. I dont like to shoot .357 mags in anything shorter though. Just plain no fun. Thats a .380 in my profile picture by the way. I hate shooting it as well. Lots of pop. Its a nice gun North American arms guardian with crimson trace laser. It was my dads and I inherited it. I will carry it but its a close up gun all the way. Sights practically do not exist the trigger is a hard pull the slide hits my hand if I dont grip it just right and no matter how stiff I try to hold my wrist the trigger guard hits me every time and makes my finger hurt. My CZ75 p-01 is the best gun I have every had the opportunity to shoot. I love the thing.

Last edited by Tony D., May 4, 2013
  2. fourxfour

fourxfour Loaded Pockets

My S&W 340M&P has been my on duty back up and primary Off Duty gun. My newly acquired Shield has somewhat dethroned it.

[​IMG]

Now that I have the Shield, I may get around to putting my Apex kit into my j frame as well as remove the internal lock.

I do enjoy the LCR's and had one in .38. The .22's (LR & Mag) are looking really good right now. The hogue tamer grips are my favorite part of the gun. The reduced recoil in .22LR is actually pretty fun to shoot.

3. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a Colt Detective .38spl other than never feeling like I had enough ammo it was an awesome pistol

4. runningwsissors

runningwsissors Empty Pockets

I used to carry a s&w air weight. It was the best carrying gun I have ever had. I sold it because it was the worst shooting gun and was painful to shoot. I am seriously considering picking up another wheel gun to replace it. Something like a rhino.

BigRob likes this.
  5. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

Once you learn how to shoot the air weight guns like the 442, they're fine. Different technique than with a full weight gun. Most important thing is a FIRM grip.

6. Schapendoes

Schapendoes Loaded Pockets

I would suggest going to your local gun shop(s) and trying a few different models. Is there a range near you that rents handguns? It might be worth it to get the feel of a few different models. I would also suggest a revolver in .357 over .38. A .357 allows you to shoot both calibers and even if you decide to carry .38's, the .357's are usually a few ounces heavier which will help reduce the felt recoil.

7. hawkeye180

hawkeye180 Loaded Pockets

I did up until December. Here is an example of my setup.

[​IMG]

8. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Ammo selection is also important. Last time I took my j-frame out shooting, I noticed the recoil was quite stout. My friends, who also shot it, did not find the recoil to be objectionable. What I didn't notice until I got home was that I was shooting 155gr +P ammo and they were shooting 125 grain bullets loaded to normal levels.

Basically, I had shot the stuff that was already in my speedloaders, and they had shot the stuff I'd brought in a new ammo box when I handed it off. I didn't notice until I was sorting the brass that the stuff I'd shot had a +P headstamp.

i felt kind of silly for not noticing that at the range. :oops:

9. Soda Pop

Soda Pop Banned

S&W 637. Better than any .380 IMHO

10. Osage

Osage Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

mud80 likes this.