1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anybody carry a magnet?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by gstod, May 17, 2011.

1. volvo63'

volvo63' Loaded Pockets

When I do go to the scrap yard, I sometimes carry a keychain magnet that the they used to give out. My dad carries a keychain magnet, a magnet on a 4 foot pole, and a telescoping pen magnet.

2. Haubitz

Haubitz Loaded Pockets

Excuse a dumb question, but what does “scrapping junk metals” mean? ???

3. gstod

gstod Loaded Pockets

The only dumb question is the one thats never asked. What i meant by that is i am going to be recycling metal for a profit and need to use the magnet for separating the steel from aluminum and other non magnetic metals that are worth more.

4. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

5. ggallin08

ggallin08 Empty Pockets

I made a monkey's fist around a 1/2" spherical Neodymium magnet to use as a lanyard. It's fun to carry and works really well. Just be careful that it doesn't ruin your credit cards or phone or something.

6. CSATexan

CSATexan Empty Pockets

I EDC a telescopic magnet, just in case I ever drop my car keys into a tight spot.

7. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

DX sell magnets (neodymium and Rare Earth) in all shapes and sizes. The disc shaped ones are handy as battery spacers.

Probably the most convenient to carry, just for checking for things like ferrous metals, are the little disc shaped 'ordinary' magnets the size of small coins. I've seen these in craft stores. They are used as fasteners on presentation boxes (and my Kindle cover).

Last edited by Sarky, Dec 10, 2012
  8. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

I sometimes carry a magnet, on a length of thin cord in the hope it will be useful for picking things up. I keep it in a small pill fob, which prevents anything else from actually touching it or getting too close to the field. I also keep it in a fob pocket so it's separate from vulnerable stuff. (I don't trust Mythbusters.)

I quite like the idea of a magnet around my neck, but having found something that both looks OK and I'd trust not to strangle me. The only time I asked about magnetic clasps in a jewelers they said they weren't reliable.

9. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Sarky likes this.
  10. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Several lanyard supply outfits sell 'lanyard breakaways' that are dirt cheap & work well.

11. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

That's magnetic attraction ^

;)

12. Y.Tribe

Y.Tribe Loaded Pockets

I've had a work keycard on a chain at my hip before get wiped by having my phone in a nearby pocket.

Magnet wise I have a small magnetic srewdriver (phillips at one end and flat head at the other) :)

13. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I've got a couple of magnetic clasps that seem to work pretty well. One side is reccesed so the other side slides in, keeps it from being pushed sideways and unhooking. Gnarly knows the company that sells all kinds of magnets. All his fault I bought a bunch!:)K&J Magnetics thats the place.

Gnarly likes this.
  14. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

l edc a telescoping magnetic retriever (looks like a pen) on my leatherman sheath in one of the side tubes

15. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

So one day, long ago, I get home and there is this box from some guy named Gnarly. Filled with lots of EDC odds and ends. Still don't know why he sent it... probably because I'm so dang good looking. Anyway, there was this tiny yet crazy powerful magnet in there. It has a little hole drilled through it so you can attach a line. Awesome! Although I realIy dug the flat Tops whistle, the magnet was by far the coolest thing our good friend put in the box.

Now it rides under my USA flag on my MaxP Jumbo. Totally unobtrusive. Here's the link. They have bigger ones too, in case you have to lift a small car.

Thanks again, Gnarly.

Gnarly and vegassprky like this.
  16. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

I EDC a chick magnet and it's called ATF :D

SAKplumber, Evilbunny and T.H.Cone like this.
  17. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

18. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Not what I've heard.:D

SAKplumber and T.H.Cone like this.
  19. joel_1071

joel_1071 Loaded Pockets

I do have a couple of those disc magnets, probably 1/4" in diameter and 1/8" thick and much smaller ones which I stocked in my so called survival tin can.

20. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Ironically, I had to unwind the 200# Dyneema & use my K&J cube magnet, just the other day, THCone! (Usually use 6# test mono line with the B-444-1, but I ran outta mono awhile back!)

After settling into the deerstand, I happened to glance down.....there, on the ground about 17' below, was my V3U+ light....left behind, when I started my climb.

Rather than climb back down, I used the magnet.
    It glommed onto the Spro swivel above the S3, and up she came.
    Silently.
    Unlike my climbing.

To only be one-quarter inch square, and only cost 80 cents, that tiny thing has really been handy.
    On a bet once, it picked up over 4 lbs.

First time I used it was to save a collectable lockback knife, from a storm sewer.....about 5' down, but definitely: out of reach.
    Second time was fishing a MT out of a crevice on Chimney Rock, in the Red River Gorge (Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest).

Will quit rambling now....gladja like it,THC.

SAKplumber likes this.