1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

anybody carry 5.11 knives?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by copierguy_mobile, Mar 9, 2008.

1. copierguy_mobile

copierguy_mobile Loaded Pockets

I recently saw the 5.11 knife line-up at the Brigade Quartermasters store. They seemed very stout (thick blades, liners and locks) and reasonably priced (by ZT or Benchmade standards, which is what I would compare them to).

I thought I would ask opinions here before I drop any cash on one.

-Greg

2. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

i got the first-responder drop blade.
    i like it, i just wonder a plain edge but the finger grove on the blade allows cutting with the plain part of the edge.
    the S30v blade is 4mm thick and slide on brass washers, liners are strong and dulled in the thumb grove.
    the handle is thick 13.35mm, just a bit over 0.50".
    IMHO it's a good deal

regards

3. copierguy_mobile

Thanks for the response Bravo.

I thought more people would chime in on this as the 5.11 brand is much loved around here (I know I love my Covert khakis).

-Greg

4. texascarl

texascarl Empty Pockets

5. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

I have one of their karambits and I personally don't feel it's a $90 knife. I like it fine but there is no reason this knife should cost more then $30.

6. copierguy_mobile

Wow. Never expected to see this thread again.

I never did buy a 5.11 knife. On my next trip to Brigade Quartermasters, I asked about them and the clerk (who seemed pretty knowledgeable about their selection of blades) said that he had several come back with rust problems and he couldn't recommend them over the Benchmade and Kai products they offered in the same price range.

-Greg

7. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi copierguy_mobile,

I think today is your lucky day.

Lord Bear of EDC Forums did a random act of knidness and hooked me up with a couple of freebees so its my turn now.

No strings attached I have a single blade folder from 5.11 I think it is a drop point with black scales on the side. Send me an email with your address and I will send it to you. I will also pay the postage. I will be away from my computer for a good part of the day due to therapy for my rotator cuff, But I will get back to you if you email me.

Cliff

8. copierguy_mobile

Wow.

Thanks. I'll give it a try for that price.

-Greg

9. Corbs

Corbs Loaded Pockets

I ruddy love this forum and its members.

10. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Hey there copierguy_mobile. In case you got a Cold Steel or Kai knife, (as the Brigade Quartermaster clerk recommended in your old post), it'd be nice to see a comparison with the 5.11. In any case, post a review when you receive the 5.11. Bravo to Homeland Security Ham who in spite of injury still commits "random acts of senseless kindness". (A play on words from "random acts of senseless violence". I borrowed it from Spider Robinson, one of my favorite authors.)

11. silentstorm16

silentstorm16 Empty Pockets

I was actually thinking of buying one from lapolicegear but I'm not sure of the reviews I may have to try one thanks.

12. ethernectar

ethernectar Empty Pockets

The Tarani Series knives are almost all glass-blasted blades, so they do require routine maintenance (oiling) to keep from rusting. There's a lot more metal surface area exposed than on a smooth or polished blade. The newer ones (black blades) are generally more price conscious so aren't S30V or 154CM.

13. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

I have three 5.11 Tactical Knives. I have the Journeyman Karambit, the Scout Folder and a promotional knife they gave away.

The promotional knife is junk, I hate to say it. The lock won't stay in place.

I paid $45 for the Scout Folder, and I think it's a nice blade. I like the feel of the G10 handles. The knife feels very robust, and it fits comfortably in my hand.

I got the 5.11 Journeyman Karambit for $50 on lapolicegear. I put three zip ties on the hole opening to make a wave opening.

What I like about the Karambit and Scout Folder are the option to carry tip up or tip down, in either the left or right pocket. I really enjoy my 5.11 knives, and feel that for the price I paid, I definitely got a good bargain for a quality blade.

14. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Wave opening with zipties? Tell me more. Please.

15. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

Sure, the idea of waving a knife with a thumbhole isn't mine. I got the basic idea from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xDDlsuYtjk&feature=response_watch.

I want to make one simple improvement. If you do follow his method, it does work. BUT, You have to use more than one ziptie. Notice on the pics I have posted. If you use one ziptie, I find that the zipties tend to move. I fill the entire hole with zipties, and it gives it a bit more stability.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, if you do use the ziptie method, use pliers to pull the ziptie as tight as possible. Then cut the ziptie, and use some sandpaper to file off the sharp edges. In doing it in this manner, you won't wear out your pockets or accidently cut yourself on the sharp edges. Oh, it does help to use larger zipties rather than smaller ones. The larger the ziptie head, the more real estate you have for it to catch onto your pocket.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer.

16. copierguy_mobile

I received the 5.11 knife from Cliff (homeland security ham) the other day. When I have time, i will post some pics. I think this particular knife is one of the 5.11 promo items. There's nothing wrong with it. It says "China" in the blade and it's not as beefy as I remembered (far be it from me to look a gift knife in the, um... mouth?).

I ordered the 5.11 first responder tanto on clearance from LA Police gear, so I should have a good comparison in a couple of days.

-Greg

17. karl_f87

karl_f87 Loaded Pockets

I EDC a 5.11 Tactical Alpha Scout Folding knife. Blade steel is Aus8 with Black Oxide coating on the blade. It's a similar knife to the Scout Knife above but a bit more compact, same design. I love it. G-10 scales give a good grip. Maintenance is easy. The liner lock may seem thin but it is strong. No blade play side to side or up and down. Deployment is easy with the flick of the thumb. And the spear point design has an aggressive but simple look (contradicting right? haha!). Carry is ambidextrous. I love this knife. I wish they made a tanto version. :)

18. ethernectar

ethernectar Empty Pockets

@ CopierGuy - yes, that's a promo knife, disposable unfortunately.
    @ karl - there's tanto versions coming.

19. copierguy_mobile

Well, UPS came today and delivered my 5.11 1st Responder. My first reaction was "that's quite a bit bigger than I was expecting". It's just a hair longer than my ZT301 and it seems to be a pretty nice knife. Combo edge, black G10, S30V, bead blasted blade, clip and liners.

I think I like it.

I took a few pics along with some other knives for scale, including the one that Cliff (Homeland Security HAM) sent me.

[​IMG]
    Left to right: ZT301, 5.11 1st Responder, 5.11 promo knife, Kershaw Leek, Spyderco Native III

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Close up of liners and locks. Left: ZT301, Right: 5.11 1st Responder (Oh man... I didn't realize how bad I need to clean my 301).

[​IMG]
    More close ups. Left: 5.11 promo knife, Right: Kershaw Leek

[​IMG]
    The promo knife and it's big brother

Thanks to Cliff for providing my first 5.11 knife. His "random act of kindness" was the inspiration for this mini review (and the subsequent purchase of the 1st Responder). In keeping with that spirit, both of the 5.11 knives will be donated as prizes for the next EDCF giveaway (which I hear is coming soon). So I'll pack it back in it's box and into the safe she goes.

-Greg

20. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

If you twist the ties off instead of cutting they should'nt leave a sharp edge. Use a pair of pliers and get as close to the connection of the tie and just twist it.