1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any ultracheap multi tool recommendations?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by BlackM, Oct 6, 2015.

1. BlackM

BlackM Loaded Pockets

Hey, I'm looking for an extremely cheap multitool that most likely can be ordered from China and which most importantly has pliers and a flathead screw driver, but other tools are also appriciated.

I'm really talking dirt cheap here because I want to buy like ten of them and have them at work where I'm bound to loose them at a very regular basis. So if anyone has tried an $2-3 tool from ebay and can vouch for the build quality at least being somewhat acceptable that would be very much appriciated.

Thanks

2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

In my experience the cheaper multi tools are mostly garbage. They are either too flimsy or they are so heavy/bulky that you are better off with regular tools.

sungame, mole, archimedes and 3 others like this.
  3. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

I think Ganzo has a few models that might fit what you're thinking. maybe a little more spendy.

mole likes this.
  4. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't use a 3 dollar multitool. You will end up hurting yourself. Maybe some flea market vice grips and flat heads scattered about is a safer proposition.

5. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I have one of these dirt chea MTs from China, and I don't trust it at all. It's even dangerous for some tasks.
    You might have to think how you can loose it at work and figure out a way to prevent that. Going into something with the "I don't care if I loose it" mindset will guarantee that it'll hapen or thatt you won't care for it at all and break it. What's a broken or lost multitool going to do for you really?

sungame and c99camper like this.
  6. tankmbt

tankmbt Loaded Pockets

I couldn't recommend any worth using under 40 or so.

7. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

The Wingman's a decent MT and is below 40$. Lots of members here have it

NelsonIII, sungame, fourSAK and 3 others like this.
  8. blkthunder

blkthunder Loaded Pockets

If losing it is a primary worry, know that both the Leatherman Skeletool and Style PS have pretty heavy duty carabiners to clip to your person as well as all the requested tools. Mid $20-40.

kertap75 and c99camper like this.
  9. tankmbt

tankmbt Loaded Pockets

40 was off the top of my head, no slight meant.

ManVsLawn, kertap75 and Gilatabar like this.
  10. blkthunder

Lol tankmbt is a multitool-ist!

11. tankmbt

tankmbt Loaded Pockets

Haha, tbh I've carried my Leatherman Rev more than my Surge lately. I'm not sure if they're readily available but it was around $20 on clearance. The Surge is just so dang heavy to belt carry daily.

kertap75 likes this.
  12. blkthunder

I got a skeletool from Ace after one of their coupons pretty cheap. Like 30 or so... just depends on the need i suppose.

13. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I have 4 Stanley multi tools which cost about $7 each from Target. Amazon has the same tool for $10.48. It is a good multi tool.

kertap75 and fourSAK like this.
  14. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I have the Leatherman Rebar. I don't remember what I paid for it. It is the only multi tool I have officially. But if you count Swiss Army Knives, I have several. I do want a Victorinox Spirit X though. I hope to get one before too long.

15. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Buy Once, Cry Once.

Leatherman or SwissTool.

Lots of fans of both.

EZDog and archimedes like this.
  16. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

I have used tools that break, damage the part on which they are being used, and injure me in the process :(

I try to avoid this now.

1 person likes this.
  17. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

saw a bootleg skeletool rip off of leatherman skeletool on ebay going around the 10 dollar mark almost bought it

[​IMG]

Last edited by Moco, Oct 6, 2015
  18. BlackM

BlackM Loaded Pockets

"bound to loose them at a regular basis"

Much of my work happens above water and it includes a lot of light climbing, I could attach a short lanyard to the tool but that's about it. And I would still have to leave it at a regular basis on small edges where even the lightest of touch would have it drop off, so sooner or later it would always end up getting dropped, and if it gets dropped it's gone for good.

I know full and well that the chinese tools are mostly :censored: but I'm hoping some of them will at least be good enough that I can use to pliers to tighten the occasional bolt and wire cutters to cut/strip some wires here and there. So still looking for recommendations on actual dirt cheap tools because they're highly unlikely to last more then a couple of weeks each.

19. stepewolf

stepewolf Loaded Pockets

You should consider one of those retractable/elastic lanyards. When I send crew to work aloft I make sure all their tools are tied with thin rope to a belt or harness because there is no hardware stores in the middle of the sea. It is an ancient method and it works. Of course you have to adapt to using tools with a string attached.

kertap75, kkay and fourSAK like this.
  20. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

There are probably multi tools around that price range (or a few $ up) that are acceptable if you need to tighten the occasional screw or remove a couple of staples. But I think I can say with complete confidence that there's no such thing as a decent quality multi tool for that price that will hold up to what you are describing for any length of time. You can barely get a decent screwdriver for that price, let alone a pair of pliers that is even remotely safe to use cutting wires. Decent in this context: it won't break as soon as it comes in contact with a screw head. Asking for a multi tool for the same price is an incredibly tall order.

For me cheap multi tools are mainly a matter of novelty and a few have interesting innovations. A few of the one piece tools are actually usable (although often copies of more well known brands). Besides a search on eBay with multi tool + plier shows that the pricing starts at about 2-3 USD. The same holds true for DX.

What you're asking is in all likelihood impossible I'm afraid.