1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any smart watch users?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by dml24, Nov 10, 2016.

1. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

I got a Fossil Q Explorist, metal wrist band. I use to work in formal environments and that’s one of the reason I picked up this one. Much cheaper than high end Samsung or Apple watch, provides really good functionality.
    Due to its formal design it won’t be the most comfortable one if practicing sports, but it’s more suitable if wearing formal attire.

It’s down side is battery life: Depending on usage, it could last between one and two days. Normally a day and a bit more. It doesn’t bother me at all. I keep a portable power bank on my bedside table and I just charge it at night, no major effort.

Cons: Battery life. No heart monitor.
    Pros: Formal style if you need that, really good touch screen, fast performance, all normal expected sync functions. Cheaper than high end models while providing a good quality look and high performance level.

#61 SurivStud, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  2. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

3. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I'm sometimes tempted by the smartwatch concept, but I also enjoy simplicity and being disconnected.
    Lately I've been playing with the idea of trying out a combination. Best of both worlds, kind of.
    I don't think my product is released, but if I find a really minimalistic activity tracker with a few key features, I'll give it a shot.
    Need to have:
    Waterproof, small OLED display that will at least display time on demand, step count.
    Nice to have:
    HR, payment solution, anything else that's not making it bigger or bulkier.

The idea is to have a device that wears as small and unnoticed as possible on non-watch arm, and complements my regular watch, rather than replace it.
    I like being able to track some activity without brining my phone, I think there is also a value in having a bright and legible OLED display to read time in dusk or dark, while still having a regular watch as the primary and more dependable timekeeper that will take a beating and not run out of battery after a few days.
    As of now, size and comfort is the primary driver, but as contactless payment becomes more available I certainly like the idea of also leaving my wallet behind, and still be able to pay for something I didn't plan for. I sometimes take a card from my wallet when I want to go light and fast, but I do get a bit stressed that I might lose it or forget to put it back. Would be super practical if a fitness band I'm already wearing could do that, so I might compromise a bit on size to get that feature.

Some trackers like Fitbit Alta (HR), Charge 2 and Garmin Vivosmart3 are close, but I will at least wait and see what the next gen brings.

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@aicolainen: seems to me that some of the features you list, particularly the ones under 'Nice to have', really don't need to be on a watch. They can easily reside (and for the most part are available as apps I'd bet) on a phone, a table, etc. That would immediately reduce the size of a watch -- or stated another way, preclude its bulking up!

The newest Fitbit 'smartwatch', the 'Versa' might get you where you want to be. Although I have to admit that after trying several Fitbit products and being disappointed and after lurking amongst the Fitbit forums, I'm not a fan of that company's products.

For myself if I were going towards a smartwatch I think just based on what I read, I'd stick with the major players: Apple, Garmin, Fossil, Samsung. But that's just by reputation. I am not a smartwatch owner at this time.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

5. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

After receiving the latest Apple watch as a gift, I am impressed with the features especially the ability to respond to text messages or to make a call. I left my phone at home and used the watch for all my personal stuff during the workday.

aicolainen likes this.
  6. aicolainen

@Moshe ben David maybe the thoughts in my head didn't come through as I intended :)
    I have a phone with apps and sensors and stuff, that's great. I actually have a (working!) Fitbit watch as well. It's the Fitbit Surge and although it's a few years old, it has onboard GNSS and HR. That's all great too.
    My point was, I don't want to be dependent on my phone, especially when working out, because it's kind if big and heavy to graciously fit in any of my training apparel.
    The other point is that I don't want a smartwatch or fitness watch. Pretty stupid of me to bring that philosophy to a smartwatch thread, I guess that was bound to create misunderstandings :)
    What I did try to say, is that I want some of the smartwatch features if I can get it in a small and unobtrusive fitness tracker that wears like a wristband in addition to a regular watch (which I'm not ready to give up) I would be willing to give it a try. I'm not going to Schwarzkopf a smartwatch in addition to a regular watch, so a key feature of the fitness tracker/band would be to not look like a watch. Even though I'm a crazy nerd, I try to appear normal.

I was in a sports store yesterday, but unfortunately their selection was lacking. They did have the Garmin Vivofit4, but not the Vivosmart3 which has more of the features I'm after. The good news is that according to specs, the Vivofit4 is approx. the same dimensions, and the fit was great. This thing didn't look or feel like a watch. It was a dummy though, so there is a chance that a working display could ruin that impression.
    Unlike many Fitbit products, the sides of the Garmin slopes down toward the sides, creating a rounder profile. Compared to the blocky design of most fitbit products, I think this has more potential to live unnoticed on my wrist.
    Still going to hold out for the next gen to be released. If it doesn't bring any useful (for me) features to the table, they will at least bring down the prices on current models.

7. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

The Garmin Fenix 5X is my smart "enough" watch. I got it mostly for running and cycling, and sometimes i just wear it as watch. All the smart feature I need right now is notification.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BillSXT2002

BillSXT2002 Loaded Pockets

I'm a convert from a Seiko 007 to a Garmin watch. I bought it for running, but I end up wearing it for the data it collects all day. I still wear my regular watches for some occasions, but I've mostly been converted.

9. aicolainen

I should not be here, but the force of the dark side is getting stronger...
    The upgrades on the Garmin Fenix 5 plus series might be enough to persuade me.

10. aicolainen

Ref my previous post, and looking back on this one, I'm slowly opening up to a new philosophy regarding smart watches.
    Not that my philosophy was flawed, at least not in theory. And the recent release from Fitbit suggest that the technology will get there.
    It was another release that made me consider another path to smartWISdom.
    The updated Garmin Fenix 5, aka Fenix 5 plus packs some features that makes it really hard to ignore.
    In addition to solve all my need to have and nice to have requirements, it has built in maps and music support.
    It can control and read data from my Garmin Astro/Alpha dog tracker and my Garmin Virb camera. And if I decide to get the Garmin InReach, it supports that one as well.
    I need some time to digest the price tag, but I'm seriously considering this.

POU is pretty simple.
    It will be one at a time, instead of two at a time. In some ways, this is really the simpler approach.
    Regular use = regular watch
    Training, hunting, hiking, or any time I want to go super light weight (leaving wallet, phone etc. at home) = Fenix 5 plus

11. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

I recently picked up the new 45mm Garmin Instinct rugged GPS watch.

[​IMG]

I currently own a "dumb" 6 year old Casio G-Shock GD350 which is built like a tank and I use just for time and date. I've also recently owned a 46mm Samsung Galaxy Watch with Tizen OS and also a TicWatch Pro smartwatch with Google Wear OS.

I'm loving this new Garmin Instinct. I think it splits the difference nicely between a dumb watch and a full featured smartphone on your wrist. It definitely has that G-Shock aesthetic but with fitness and GPS included. It doesn't have a color or touch screen so the battery life is rated for 14 days between charges. I've always liked my G-Shock but have always wanted some fitness features like steps counting, sleep monitoring, and heart rate. Bonus is that this also has GPS functionality with ABC (altimeter, barometer, compass).

The Galaxy Watch and TicWatch Pro were surely capable premium smartwatches, but I just didn't want or need a color touchscreen smartphone on my wrist that needed recharging every couple days. I also didn't want the apps, phone functionality, music, or the plethora of notifications on my watch. This watch is the balance I'm looking for, somewhere in between.

If I had money to blow, I'd have a Garmin Fenix 5x Plus on my wrist, but I'm really liking the Instinct and the $300 price tag isn't bad either.

Last edited by RoboSim, Nov 20, 2018
    #71 RoboSim, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  12. Moshe ben David

@RoboSim: just to be-devil you, have you heard about the new G-shock that has step counting, calorie tracking, and synchs data to your phone over Bluetooth? GBA-800. Here's a link: https://www.gshock.com/technology/gba800

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

Thanks. I've looked at a few of the newer gshocks as well. It's probably just me but I'm just not fond of the current selections of gshock watches. They just seem to get bigger, blockier and busier looking. The watch faces just seem to be so crowded with too many small inset dials, windows, and graphics. I still like a nice design rugged casing, but also with a clean face with large legible time and date. I guess I'm just funny like that.

The new Suunto 9 and the upcoming Casio ProTrek F30 are also on my radar.

14. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

I had a Sumsung Gear before, couldnt stand charging it every couple days.
    My Garmin Vivofit spoiled me, with its 1 YEAR+ battery life.
    I now have an Amazfit Bip, which is claimed to have a 45 day battery life, and so far it seems like its going to do that easily.
    I like it so far, does what I need it to, display is really easy to read in bright light, although the backlighting is a bit blue and ugly at night.
    Shown here with a 3rd party watch face on it, and aftermarket leather band.
    [​IMG]

garza and recklesstryg like this.
  15. recklesstryg

recklesstryg Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Started with a GShock->Basis Peak->Peeble 2 HR->Amazfit Bip
    Wanted a watch that had a long battery life, notification, and a vibrating alarm.
    The battery life is awesome, notifications come in great, alarm wakes me up every morning.

garza likes this.
  16. Moshe ben David

I know how you feel. I also lean towards the simpler G-shocks. My favorite remains the rectangular that hearkens back to the original 5000 series; I have the 5600 both as a regular and a solar/atomic variant.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I just switched to the Garmin Instinct from the Garmin Fenix 3 (have tried the 5 before too, but it wasn’t worth the price to upgrade from the 3 in my opinion) and I’ve got to say it checks all my boxes. I need a watch that will wake me up, so I’ve been switching between the Fenix 3 and the gshock gd350-1 - both vibe alarms. I liked the Fenix for its connectedness, but it was hard to see, especially in the dark. The gd350-1 was great visibility, but a little big on the wrist and not connected. The Garmin Instinct is like a perfect mix of the two - GREAT readability, but connectedness of the Fenix 3/5 - can’t choose custom watch faces but that’s fine with me, their default is very customizable to what you want to see, and I always used black/white faces anyway since the colors left something to be desired. Size is great too on my medium to smaller (shmedium) sized wrist. Will try to post a picture when I can.