1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any smart watch users?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by dml24, Nov 10, 2016.

1. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I am about to purchase the Fitbit Blaze. It will share time keeping duties with an older Sieko solar watch and track my steps and exercise.

Any other EDCers using smart watches?

Opinion, comments and alibis are welcomed.

2. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I used to rock a Pebble Time Steel 24/7 that served me very well. I loved the fitness tracking and the vibrating alarm. The (relatively) long battery life was great too. I left on a little trip though and work in a secure environment now, so no smart watches allowed.

3. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I have been eyeing the apple watch for a little while. My wife offered to buy me it for our anniversary so I went to the local apple store and tried it on. I had mixed feelings about it going in because I just like wearing a real watch too much. I ultimately decided against. Too many drawbacks for me. Bad battery life, will only last a couple of years, etc.

While I am technically considered a millennial (I'm 34) I am not your typical one. I am not on any social media. I don't snap selfies. I use my smart phone very sparingly meaning I can make through the day with about 84 % battery life left.

I like gadgets, but a smartwatch is just not for me.

4. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Just got a moto second hand , idea was i can use google maps in an unknown location without walking around with me phone out and check texts , switch music tracks easily while driving

So far im loving it.

If i was buying new id prob get a pebble

5. azcallanta

azcallanta Empty Pockets

Love my Blaze. I've had it for about 5 months now and wear it daily. The step reminders is a nice kick in the rear to be a little more active throughout the day. I would definitely recommend the Blaze, especially if you want to track your fitness.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dml24 likes this.
  6. mattman587

mattman587 Empty Pockets

I have been wearing a Garmin Fenix 3HR for the past couple months. I love it. I get 5-7 days on one charge. I get all of my notifications and the activity tracker is great. Lastly, for running activities it is the best. I recommend it.

7. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing the Moto 360 watch for a bit now. I love the design, but battery is terrible!

I have considered switching the the Fitbit HR.

8. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the Garmin fenix I've had all three versions with the 3 being my favourite tough enough to take a beating in work and smart enough to be useful

9. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the comments. I purchased the Fitbit Alta. It's not a true smart watch, although it does display the time on the first tap.

The Blaze's battery life being around 5-7 days, with most reviews stating 5 days was most common, with very few people getting to a 7th day.

The Garmin Fenix has great reviews and is perhaps one of the best looking smart-watches on the market.

The Garmin-Fenix price point is just to high for me. Considering the Blaze was a bit of a budget stretch.

The next few years should see some excellent developments in the smart-watch marketplace!

10. tacos3

tacos3 Loaded Pockets

I just got a 42mm series 2 Apple Watch. So far, I like it a lot. I don't miss phone calls or texts now because I can't feel or hear my phone in my pocket. I get all my notifications and I can get 2 days of use without charging. It is useful, but I still love my other watches and do wear them.

T Shrapnel-Carruthers likes this.
  11. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I have been wearing an Apple 42mm, series 2, for about a month now. Initially it felt a bit clunky compared to my Seiko, but I hardly notice that now. So far I am very pleased with it. Especially cool is being able to dictate a response to message. The only annoyance is that I can't take a discrete glance at the time when in a meeting, an option for it to come on if you do a 90˚ rotation of the wrist would solve that.

Hammer-V6 likes this.
  12. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

I was using an LG Watch R, but it was stolen. Looking to find a comparable Android Wear replacement. My problem is I dislike square watches...

13. Scooter70

Scooter70 Loaded Pockets

I had an HR for a couple of years but wanted more than just time and steps so I bought a Moto 360 2nd gen. I've been using it for a few weeks and I really like it. I put a black steel band on it so it looks more like a "real" watch than a square smartwatch. Battery has been great with the "always on" screen turned off. Taking it off the charger at 6am, wearing it all day for telling time and viewing notificaitons, it's only at ~75% at 11pm that night.

Android Wear does that. :p

Oliver Bird likes this.
  14. revilo951

revilo951 Empty Pockets

I have the Huawei W1 - love it so far. Nice round face, and not too thick. Battery seems to be good - mostly get through a day with more than 50% remaining.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dml24 likes this.
  15. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Yup, I have been wearing an Apple watch since last July. I LOVE it! So, much so, that I sold off al my other watches, except the one my Mom gave me.

dml24 likes this.
  16. sjoerger

sjoerger Loaded Pockets

I have an original Apple watch which I pre-ordered. When people ask me how I like it, my answer is almost universally 'meh'. I'm sure part of the problem is that I don't use it for the fitness aspects (though I should). The notifications are useful, but can be overwhelming if not configured to your liking.

There are days that I forget to wear the watch and I don't miss it.

However I'm not ready to give up on it completely yet. I've been considering a new watch band for it.

17. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

My only "smart watch" now is the Garmin Fenix 3. Its smart enough for me, with notification and watch faces. It does activity tracking as well. but I only pay attention to my runs and cycling. Its biggish so its not my daily.

18. Pardner

Pardner Loaded Pockets

And here I thought I was the only one using the Garmin Fenix 3. Have the non-HR version for about 2 years or more and want the HR version but figure I will wait for the next version. I swapped out the rubber band for the leather and it looks much nicer. I actually don't use it for my outdoor activity, I switch it out for my Garmin Epix which has more of the features that I need in the wild.

19. NewKidontheGlock

NewKidontheGlock Loaded Pockets

Another Garmin user. Have the Vivoactive HR, which is great. Also have Fenix 3 and Fenix 3 HR. Wear the Fenix 3 around as a beater for long battery life, sleep and activity tracking. Love playing with all the free Connect IQ watch faces, widgets and apps. Works great for runs, including on treadmill along with the Garmin Footpod. Love all the notifications from my iPhone.

20. Pardner

Pardner Loaded Pockets

NewKidontheGlock, may be taking this a bit off-topic but relevant to a smart watch discussion: What benefits over the Fenix 3 (non HR) do you experience with the Vivoactive HR, most interested in the non-strap HR function and the iphone notifications (debating on getting the Vivoactive HR or Apple Watch before the new Fenix model arrives).