1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any recommendations for a search light?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Cityus, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Cityus

Cityus Loaded Pockets

a single 1860 or rechargable,

A couple that i've looked at are the streamlight strion HPL as well as the fenix rechargeable options

2. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

How about the Olight m2x-ut Javelot? I don't have one but throw and reviews seem to be awesome.

3. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

the M3 head (XM-L2) on my Solar Force L2n throws a good beam... mine is running on 3x123s with tube extension or 18650 without, but with the correct tube extension works with 2x18650s...they make a larger K3 head... pic is standard configuration without the tube extension

[​IMG]

kensington, ran23 and twin63 like this.
  4. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

I am not sure your price range, but check out the Malkoff Devices Hound Dog. It has a nice deep reflector.

Mumbojumboo and iacchus like this.
  5. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Yeah, Malkoff 18650 Hound Dog deserves a look.
    The XM-L2 version is rock solid. I couldn't be without it.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  6. elusis

elusis Empty Pockets

I've ordered, but not yet received, the Manker U11. I have their tiny T01, which is a surprisingly strong 1AA thrower, and the construction on the U11 is very similar (also a nice light). It got a good review at CPF (above link) aside from the clip, which I personally will remove, anyway. Might be worth a look. I ordered it cheap-for-good-18650 ($35-ish) at Fasttech, I think.

The interface is a bit notable, with a simple, fairly standard click to cycle mode (and unfortunately easy to trigger annoying strobe modes) and a second, very complex interface for customizing the light. It doubles as a thumb exerciser.

7. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'd second(er, ah third) the Hound Dog... I was at the beach in light fog and oh my goodness that light can throw.

[​IMG]mumbo lights 2 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

iacchus likes this.
  8. Kevin Chen

Kevin Chen Empty Pockets

Have used this on a couple of hikes. Awesome throw n lightweight. Just have to get use to the tint but you won't notice it later. Single 18650.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Welfare

Welfare Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Hound Dog at approximately 70m on a 7m wall. The ease of carry and 18650s make this a great light for covering large areas of ground. It's also very robust.

iacchus likes this.
  10. CBisch

CBisch Loaded Pockets

Any flashlight that has a large smooth reflector should throw well. I currently use a Fenix tk41 as my dedicated "searchlight" (Easily throws light 500+ feet which makes searching dark areas a breeze) which is almost always complimented by a zebralight on my head. I tried replacing the tk41 with a tk22 because it was smaller and I tried switching to just 18650's for my lights, but it just cant throw the light nearly as well as the tk41. So I now use the tk41 anytime I can carry the weight, and the tk22 when weight is a concern. I've looked into the Olight Javelot as another alternative as a thrower, Nitecore also makes some cool stuff. I'm looking for 18650 flashlights that can throw light FAR