1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Reason for a Balisong/Butterfly knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by steviesterno, Jan 24, 2019.

1. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

I used to have one in high school but I'm pretty sure I bit myself with it and gave up on it. Over the years I got more into good folders and recently autos, since they are more tactical/useful, etc. But a work buddy loaned me a trainer balisong to mess around with and I forgot how fun they are, especially when there's no risk of cutting my :censored: off.

so I'm wondering if there's literally any reason to get one, get a trainer, and get back into it. I remember that scene in the punisher movie is bad :censored:, and it's pretty old school gangster, but I'm wondering if modern folders and autos have done away with any need to have one and practice with it.

any reason to own one, practice, and EDC it or not so much?

2. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Not so much..bear in mind this is a forum, so virtually everything you read is someone else's opinion. Since they're not buying it for you, to quote John Mellencamp (My opinion means nuts). Your opinion has the veto...:cool:

3. LNR_LOC

LNR_LOC Empty Pockets

Never had one. If they are still selling them, obvious that people are buying them. I prefer a good folder with a good grip. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. What sometimes helps me decide is need over want, I guess I'm a bit frugal.

4. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Depending where you live, a butterfly may be a big no-no as some politicians deemed them evil after seeing a 70s - 80s movies where they were favored be gang members. (We'll clean up the streets by outlawing butterfly knives :nah_disagree:)

As a practical EDC knife, most probably no; there are better choices out there. As a fun "toy"? Why not? For a "decent" one, they seem rather pricey; even the trainers. that said, I don't know enough about them to tell you the difference between a $20 & $200 bailisong

5. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Moshe ben David and garza like this.
  6. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Had one when I was like 15. For me it’s jus5 a toy with no practical use. Don’t even know where mine went. It’s just gone and I don’t miss it a bit.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

7. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I have one as a toy that I play around with but it hasn't left the house since the day I got it years ago.

8. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

CA illegal most of 'em.

BLJace likes this.
  9. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Isn't everything?

Mark Patton, Gary Gross and BLJace like this.
  10. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

Thanks @steviesterno for asking this question. I too have been thinking about getting one.
    I love reading the replies.

BLJace likes this.
  11. CJinPa
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CJinPa Loaded Pockets

Balisongs are fun to play with until you cut yourself. They are just as useful as a folding knife and there is no lock mechanism to fail.

BLJace and garza like this.
  12. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

Is it a functional tool? All it does is make me think of those 80’s thugs with poofy hair

BLJace likes this.
  13. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

That’s a surprise. Sounds like a few people were arrested before a judge tossed the charges.

BLJace likes this.
  14. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

It depends on which one you choose. A Benchmade 51 for example, has a good blade shape, it is relatively thin and cuts very well. It also carries slimmer in the pocket than a lot of knives out there today. The thing is, you don't have to get into the "flipping" thing to use one, just learn the basic open/close (part of which is learning the bite side) and you will be using a knife that doesn't have a lock to fail on you.

jkwithawave and BLJace like this.
  15. BLJace

BLJace Loaded Pockets

It's kind of a tricky deal there. A lot of it depends on what you're using it for. They were originally used by fisherman who needed easy one handed opening and closing access. (If memory serves). A lot has changed since then though. Knives have become much easier to handle.

I work in a warehouse and I tried carrying one for a while. It had some convenience. Overall though I didn't find it much if any better than something with a nice bearing and a frame lock so i could still operate it using one hand.

16. HD13

HD13 Empty Pockets

Balisong knives do not have a lock, respectively, the lock can not break. when folded, they can be used as a yawara or kubotan. it is also convenient to throw them with no spin at a short distance.sorry in advance for the online translator

17. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

How do you people break locks anyway? Maybe a thin liner lock, with some good abuse. Or maybe, just maybe a frame lock with a very early lockup that slips out. But else? How? Extremely hard stabbing maybe? But as a tool I can plan not to do that.

And ain’t nobody talking to me ‘bout some dang ol’ spine wackin. ‘Ts like driving a car ‘gainst a wall and complaining ‘bout the damage, alright.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

garza and Elmiro Dungfoot like this.
  18. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I have a Mora chisel point knife from Woot which was under $10. That knife seems to be indestructible.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  19. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

I'm getting, pretty tired of hearing that crap too! Especially, in regard to Zero Tolerance knives. If you need a 'reason' not to buy a particular-brand, then don't buy-it in the first-place! Simple.

huntnow, Moshe ben David and garza like this.
  20. HD13

HD13 Empty Pockets

Life is arranged so that sitting at home in a chair and typing on the smartphone " How do you people.. ", you can suddenly break, finger, smartphone and chair. And after the breakdown of the chair, there is a high probability of breaking the spine