1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Re-Kindled Interest in CB Radio Following Recent Addition of SSB + AM (UK)

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Sarky, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

Has the addition of SSB, and AM (on the 40 CEPT channels) inspired anyone else to dig out their CB radios? I'm currently waiting for a kit to arrive for a new wire dipole (I'm not allowed a big antenna on the roof).

[​IMG]

Sharaz_Jek and T.H.Cone like this.
  2. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

You can get some good skip on 11m. Glad u are having fun, I am a HAM so I play radio quite a bit :)

3. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I have to use a horizontal wire dipole, as I can't have a big antenna on the roof, so it's not an ideal setup for locals, but it's pretty good for skip.

4. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

I run an Alinco 100w all mode HF transceiver through a 10m dipole in my attic, I live in Colorado, and I have talked to Brazil, Hawaii, the UK and all over the US, all on USB and barefoot!

Sarky likes this.
  5. Pavement Pirate

Pavement Pirate Loaded Pockets

I have a modded Cobra 29 classic 1971 vintage. A modded Cobra 25 classic from the late 80s, a Galaxy 959 modded, a Uniden 880 (yeah, I couldnt resist at 1/2 price), a Midland 75-822 handheld with accessories, a Palomar 75 also modded to 200w and a couple other things lying around. In my business, CB is king.

Drawing a blank. Something clever may get put here!

Sarky likes this.
  6. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm not on CB, but I'm a ham so I too am on the radio quite a bit. Have fun!

Sarky likes this.
  7. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

How do you rate the 880?

8. Pavement Pirate

I like it. Good reception, good output and very clear with an Astatic mic. I have not had this one worked on. Plan to just leave it stock. The stock mic was not all that great, but you know, anyone who wants quality used Astatic or Road King. Plus, this radio just looks cool! I will try and get a pic when I get back to my truck.

Sarky likes this.
  9. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Loaded Pockets

I got my ham ticket in April of 2013, studying for my general to take this year. I started thinking about creating a slipseater style box for my uniden 66 and Mirage 88 to have 10 and 11 meters to go from car to car. I want a go box for V/UHF and HF in another go box type kit as well to cover any type of communications command center..lol

Sarky and Pavement Pirate like this.
  10. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I've just put my wire dipole up in the loft, and when I tried it out, who should be on 19 but Colin the Head! Turns out he's only 7 miles from me. For those who haven't heard of him, he is (and I quote) "the only CB celebrity in Britain". :uhhuh: He can be found on YouTube presenting the Meet The Breakers videos.

kd7dvd likes this.
  11. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not familiar with the UK's CB regulations. Haven't you always had AM on that band? And can you summarize the current state of the regs for us?

12. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I will try... We now have the UK 40 channels (FM), EU/CEPT 40 channels (AM + SSB + FM) AM and FM 4 watts, SSB 12 watts pep.

I don't think we've always had the EU channels on AM, and I'm sure we don't have the UK 40 on AM.

For this, there's no licence or registration required. There used to be a licence which you bought (no exam involved) but that was scrapped.

kd7dvd likes this.
  13. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks. Are the 40 FM channels in the same frequency band as the AM channels? (I'm under the impression that the FM channels are in the 460 MHz area and the AM channels are in the 26 MHz area...)

14. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

The AM channels are the same as the FM CEPT channels. The CEPT 40 are 26.965 to 27.405 and UK 40 (FM only) are 27.60125 to 27.99125 MHz.

Apparently there are some (8 if I remember correctly) channels between the CEPT and UK channels, but I don't know who or what they are for.

kd7dvd likes this.
  15. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Interesting, thanks.

There are a few holes in the US CB channel plan, as well (probably matches the CEPT AM channels) which are used for radio control (model cars, aircraft, etc.)

16. Pavement Pirate

[​IMG]
    The 880 all lit up.

Sarky likes this.