1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Photography nerds? What's your kit?

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by C.Boland93, Oct 3, 2014.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Catherine,
    That is the real challenge; not having the controls ON the camera. It forces the photographer to become creative with controlling the environment.

C.Boland93 and ketchupgun like this.
  2. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

Other than playing with it a bit no actual experience with the camera.. but the main thing I noticed was it is quite small for a dslr. For the last 10 years any dslr has been good enough for just about anything you could need, no matter the price or maker. What really matters is what is in front and in the back of the camera, meaning the lens and the photographer. People pay way too much attention to specs and not the actual photography ;). You're best served to go and play with the camera before buying, to see how it feels in the hand.

david57strat and MCPOWoller like this.
  3. Schnurri

Schnurri Loaded Pockets

I use a Fuji x-e1 with the 18-55 kit lens. A Jupiter 11 and Industar 55mm lens are the two primes I use.

ketchupgun likes this.
  4. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

We had a fantastic competition when I was part of my university photographic society where everyone was handed a (incredibly cheap and dreadful) disposable camera, with a competition for the best photo, and the best use of the film.
    Some complete failures from those who didn't realise quite how limited the cameras were, some pretty fun stuff from some of the others...

Personally I will stick with the mirrorless kit for now.

5. ketchupgun

ketchupgun Loaded Pockets

EDC: iPhone + Fuji x100s

Work: (3) Canon 5DmkIIIs, (1) 5DmkII, 8-15 fisheye, 16-35mm, 100mm macro, 50mm ƒ1.2, (2) 24-105mm, 70-200mm, (3) 600EX-RT Speedlights, (2) Yongnuo manualspeedlights , (3) elinchrom 600EX strobe heads, elinchrom receivers and transmitters....stands, sandbags, reflectors, umbrellas, softboxes, tripods, monopods, flashlights, leathermans, knives, tape, hooks, paracord, tide pens, sharpies, sewing kit, gels, chargers, AAs, yadda yadda yadda (and all the sound/light equipment for video)....an entire RAV4 full ;)

I'm quickly thinking of adding an IceLight to the kit.

Oh, and I also pack a pair of red and blue lightsabers....no joke

C.Boland93 likes this.
  6. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

I still regret purchasing my new Nikon last year... maybe not regret, but wished I had spent the extra $$ and went with the Sony A7 mirrorless. Even though my Nikon can take better pics, better lens selection, faster auto-focus, these new sony A7's are more advanced. :)

7. Ben Rubinstein

More advanced in what way Kevin? I have an A7r used to shoot a 5D3 and we have two D800e's in the studio. Not sure if I can define any feature on the A7r more advanced than the competition other than size.

vinniec5 and MCPOWoller like this.
  8. Dave613

Dave613 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Cosina-Voigtlander (CV) Bessa R2 "M" mount rangefinder camera with CV 35mm/f2.5 lens. CV 90mm/f3.5 lens. CV 50mm/f2 lens. Minolta IVF light meter. Ona brand bag. Ilford Delta 400 film.

bigfoot likes this.
  9. Mr. Martines

Mr. Martines Loaded Pockets

Sorry for my newbie question but can somebody tell me what is it?

10. tensixteen

tensixteen Loaded Pockets

That's a Minox subminiature camera. This particular one is a custom made hybrid.

Mr. Martines likes this.
  11. Mr. Martines

Mr. Martines Loaded Pockets

tensixteen likes this.
  12. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I am no photographer, by any stretch of the imagination - but I love taking pictures :).

I've been using a Canon SX-1 IS, since about January of 2011. I use, either that, or my iPhone 5S (when the SX-1 isn't at hand), with mediocre to stellar results lol.

13. david57strat

I remember taking a photography class in junior high, and loving it. It was strictly black and white, though. Still, it was a blast. I cant' really say that I miss shooting on film, though. I like the instant results, and love composing/reviewing the shot(s) on the LCD. I've grown so used to that, it's hard to imagine going back to film; but I know plenty of photographers who swear by it, and some who use both, film, and digital, depending on the job.

I like being able to take hundreds/thousands of shots (If I so chose) on a single SD card (of course, I have spare cards), and just picking small handful that work for me, without the added expense (the film, chemicals, paper, etc.); and digital never deteriorates, over time. I can archive my shots on a single hard drive (with a backup) and go back to them, instantly, years down the road, without ever having to worry about them being damaged, lost, or stolen...and they don't take up a ton of space in my room, or anywhere else.

For a quick and dirty picture, I can just use my phone, and actually get a half decent result (well - considering, it's not a dedicated camera). Since I always have my phone with me, Kodak moments are never lost.

I also never have to depend on someone else processing my photos. I can do whatever I want, on my own, to my heart's desire, in the comfort of my own task chair, and I can send them, instantaneously (practically) wherever I want, in the world, to be viewed with whomever I please. Hell, I can even bounce my photos from my phone to someone else's. Can't do any of those things with film.

Of course, everyone's mileage varies :). I guess I liken digital photography to the pager. It wasn't that long ago that most everyone was carrying a pager around, but couldn't really communicate with anyone (even just to retrieve their messages), without actually getting to a hardline telephone, to "call in". Seems kind of silly, now that I think of it. We've come such a long way, in such a short time. Now, most everyone has a smartphone that does more than most personal computers would do, not that many years ago.

bigfoot and Tornado like this.
  14. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

Just as long as you rememeber that current hard drives are a short to intermediate term storage solutions, not a long or permanent one. Meaning you will have to keep copying them to new hard drives every few years to keep your data relatively intact cause hard drives do deteriorate and fail ;).

david57strat likes this.
  15. david57strat

I'm okay with that. Hard drives are relatively inexpensive, these days :)

Tornado likes this.
  16. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

I would be doing film photography a lot more often if it wasn't so expensive. One thing about film cameras is they just don't break like digital cameras do. I mean my old old Canonet QL 17 just keeps on going, with or without batteries in it, while my Olympus E-PL5 just popped it's shutter button off while in the bag. So that is off to Olympus now.

bigfoot likes this.
  17. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

I've only shot digital. How expensive is so expensive? Whats the initial investment in order to process at home? Then the film, $5 plus per roll of MF?

18. Schnurri

Schnurri Loaded Pockets

Well, if you don't store analogue negatives and slides properly, they will deteriorate, too. I've got thousands of slides and negatives and I don't want to go back. Organizing and finding digital photos is so much more convenient! I was looking through my old photos just the other day and it was a nightmare. :rolleyes:

19. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

With the bare essentials, I guess you can get by with something like $75-100 initial investment when developing your film. I personally don't like developing film so I take the expensive route :p. After getting the film developed at the store it totals to something like $15-18 per roll.

20. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

I can't imagine ever going back to film... EVER. Anyone actually taking film is doing it for a very specific reason where the higher quality digital print is not going to work.

I bet you can find an 8-track player at the same place you find your film. <grin>

cheeser and david57strat like this.