1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Photography nerds? What's your kit?

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by C.Boland93, Oct 3, 2014.

1. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

still not working

2. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

edc camera - samsung S4 cellphone
    CERT/hiking camera - Panasonic DMC-TS20 all weather/water resistant

3. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

I'm trawling eBay for camera gear tonight! Just booked a holiday to Florida for next September and I'm thinking there will be some smashing photo opportunities!

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  4. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

What is on your short list (or long list)?

5. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

It might be worth checking out the new Panasonic LX100 - a new LX series camera very similar to the LX7, only with a four thirds sized sensor hidden inside.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  6. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

ALL THE THINGS! ;)

I want a decent camera backpack that I can fit my MacBook Pro in (as well as camera goodies). Currently just have a 550D so I would like a new body but I'm doubtful that'll happen! Looking at a 70-200, f2.8 because I'll use that anyway.

I'll likely take my nifty 50 and I also have a fisheye that I may take for the fun of it.

I'll also need a tripod for firework shots that'll fold up into the aforementioned backpack as Magic Kingdom don't allow tripods or monopods into the park that don't fit in a bag, but also it'd be a lot easier that way for the flight over there.

7. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Sirui T-025X !
    easily folds up into a package not much larger than a can of pringles.
    [​IMG]

I think it would hold the 70-200 f2.8 (will try it when i go back to work) but for maximum stability, remove the centre column (ballhead mounted straight onto spider) and avoid using the spindly little end leg extension.
    As for the bag, Thinktank makes great stuff, the Shapeshifter or Streetwalker Harddrive would fit your gear and a 15" laptop and their customer service is excellent too (if you have any questions, email them, or tweet them and they will respond pretty quick)
    FStop bags might be worth a look too, I'm considering a "Loka" but it doesn't have a padded laptop sleeve

Tornado likes this.
  8. Ben Rubinstein

Why the f2.8? It's a big and heavy lens. For travel I'd far prefer the f4L IS version. Infact I did! Smaller, lighter, cheaper, very capable.

MangeD700 likes this.
  9. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheers for the recommendations, will check them out later! I initially looked at the FStop bags as they're as bit more slick looking than most photography backpack offerings, but I don't like how you have to buy the bag and insert separate and they're also darn near impossible to get here in the UK.

10. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

Good point, well stated! However I wouldn't be purchasing it solely for travel, I would just happen to be taking it on that particular 2 week trip. So I think I would get better use from the f2.8, I often shoot in low light. I live in an old mining pit village, we haven't discovered electricity yet

photoboy2005 and MCPOWoller like this.
  11. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

OK, so not travelling particularly light. For travelling I put ease of carry first which is why I go for compact cameras. Ultimate quality is sacrificed for the lighter weight. However you can still get fantastic results with smaller cameras. The LX7 I use is fantastic, and so is the G2. Of course sensor size is reduced, but the LX7 has an f1.7 lens and I've hand held 1s exposures on the wide-angle lens zoom which have been pin sharp.

[​IMG]

I too shoot in low light a great deal, but rather than stress over lens speed, I would just go with using a tripod and remote release or use the timer - especially when travelling.

Using only ambient light in low light situations is one of my favourite photograph scenarios.

That Sirui T-025x looks a great mini tripod. I'm seriously tempted to get one myself.

I currently use a Hama Traveller Mini Pro, which works fantastically well for lighter cameras (I have had a DSLR on it, and the ball head struggles a bit, but can be replaced with a better head). Being only £20 or so, makes it something you won't worry about losing on your travels.

WARNING to any travelling photographers!!!!

Having had compact tripods confiscated by airport security, I would advise you not try to carry a mini tripod onto a flight. They argue that if you extend the legs, you now have a club like weapon!

There can be times when there is not enough time to go back to check-in your tripod, and you either lose it or miss your flight. If I had not had this happen to me I would take my nice (and reasonably expensive) Sirui tripod in my carry-on bag, and end up losing it to some little hitler.

Just a warning as I would hate to hear you had lost a nice bit of kit.

Last edited by subwoofer, Dec 29, 2014
  12. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Good advice !

i don't travel much, and when i do, stuff like lightstands and tripods go in my checked bag.

13. Firepoint

Firepoint Loaded Pockets

I've been shooting since film was cool, and have been a Nikon user for more than 20 years.

I've collected a significant amount of gear, and I'm not saying one brand is better than another, but I'm unlikely to change brands now because starting over would be very expensive.

I would recommend three things to any starting photographer. Buy quality lenses, buy equipment that will be usable as the industry advances, and shoot with purpose.

There's a reason why those fancy lenses are expensive. They've taken some of the best pictures in history and if their quality was inferior they wouldn't still be used by professionals for years. No matter what the newest camera body/sensor is capable of, the glass makes a big difference.

There are a lot of gizmos, gadgets and and new technologies that fill photography magazines every month. They are fun to play with and can achieve interesting results. But as technology changes, these gadgets have a limited lifespan and cost a premium. These new gadgets won't make your pictures perfect if you skimp on the basics. A tripod for landscapes, studio lights for portraits, light box for still life. These basics can always be made lighter, stronger or stylish, but an ugly heavy tripod will last you 20 years or more.

Shooting 10,000 pictures only to sort them out and try to salvage pictures in Photoshop later won't make you a better photographer. Take a picture, examine the results and think about why it looks that way. Move your position, change your apperture or shutter speed, shoot at different times of day. There is no one perfect picture.

I guess the best advice I ever got was to have fun. All this gear doesn't matter. I'm still shooting medium format film for variety and challenge. Enjoy it.

Here's my gear. Along with my iPhone camera.

Nikon D7000
    Canon PowerShot G1X mark II
    MAMIYA RB-67 medium format film with a 180mm lens
    MAMIYA c330 twin reflex with an 80mm lens
    Gopro hero 3

AF 24mm f2.8 D
    AF 50mm f1.8 D
    AFS 60mm f2.8 macro
    AF 85mm f1.4 D
    AFS 18-200mm f3.4-5.6 DX VR
    AFS 70-200mm f2.8 VRII
    AF 70-300mm f 5.6 D
    TF-17E II Teleconverter
    Kenko extension tubes
    2 - SB600 flashes

MANFROTO 190 tripod
    MANFROTO 294 aluminum monopod
    MANFROTO joystick ball grip head, 3way pan tilt head, mini ballhead with RC2
    Gorilla Pod
    Flash stands, umbrellas and silver and gold reflectors
    Black, grey and white screens/drape backgrounds

Lowepro AW 102 Sling Bag
    Lowepro Pro messenger AW180 shoulder bag
    Lowepro Pro runner 450 backpack
    Lowepro Magnum 450 x 2 duffle bags
    Pelican 1550 hard case with wheels
    Pelican SD card wallet

Rapid strap, lens pens, micro finer cloths, rain bags, remote shutter release
    Colkin P filter adapters, polarizes, ND filters, 2,4,6 and gradient filters, red, orange, yellow filters.

Tornado likes this.
  14. Ben Rubinstein

Have you thought of going for a primes route? Gives you very good low light use at a fraction of the size. I cannot sing the praises of the 85mm and 100mm primes high enough, the 135L is class leading and the 200mm f2.8 is apparently a very good lens. You could buy any 3 of those for well under the price of the L zoom.

15. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Great advice - Good Glass is the best photography investment you can make, and taken care of, can last for many years.
    it also doesn't lose much value as it gets older.

a good solid tripod is a good investment too, and will also last almost forever, you will probably also wind up aquiring a second smaller "travel tripod" too but a good solid one is a good starting point (i have an old Slik Pro700DX that is 15 yrs old and is still kicking along nicely, it weighs 2.6kg (5.8lb) plus another pound or so for the ballhead (can't find actual specs, its a discontinued manfrotto) though, so i also have a tiny Sirui, which weighs 1.7lb, including ballhead, as its easier to carry (no where near as stable, but if used with care, and a couple of sneaky tricks it is fine)

C.Boland93 - keep on with the 550d, its a good camera, a little old, but is still capable of good photos.
    the 70-200 is a great lens (especially the newer version2) although it is a bit of a pain to lug around.

if i were you, i would get the 70-200, then when you can afford it, a nice medium/wide zoom (16-35 or 17-40 as they will both fit FF bodies if you upgrade to one in the future) and a fast 50 to "fill the gap" and give you a really nice fast low light lens (something like a Canon 50f1.4, the sigma equivalent is supposed to be good too)

Once your 550D is the limiting factor in your photography, and is holding you back, then upgrade to a nice shiny new body, but buy the glass first, it will last years (one of the lenses in my kit is 10yrs old and still going strong, and i know of at least 2 at work that are 15yrs old, and still in frequent use) if you keep chasing new camera bodys, you will be buying a new one every 3 years, and just have a nice collection of worthless, obsolete camera bodies, whereas used glass can be resold easily, without too much of a loss.

16. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

You will have a collection of bodies that are very much "still capable of good photos" as you stated earlier in your post. Digital camera bodies have demonstrated evolutionary gains in the technological aspects at an astoundingly accelerated rate during the last decade. Except for those few full-time professionals have the time to master the exasperatingly-large number of features that modern digital cameras offer, the typical consumer would be greatly challenged to become intimately proficient with the majority of the features to render the camera as the limiting factor in their photography unless the efficiency of the hardware is concerned.

Otherwise, the technology has limited influence over the creative aspects.

17. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Still capable of good pictures, yes, but in terms of monetary value - minimal

As an example, an original 5d is now around 7yrs old and using local prices, would sell for around a quarter to a third of its original price. I recently sold a 10ish yr old well used 70-200 for bit less than half of the price of a new one.

My point was, buy good glass first as it will be better value in the long run.

18. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Most of the time it is quick shots with my phone but when I really want to take those special pictures I use film. I just got this a few days ago.
    [​IMG]

gemini, Tornado, bigfoot and 2 others like this.
  19. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

That's exactly it. Top of the line lenses keep their value very well so there's no need to sell them. Some even go up in value while you own and use them. If you want your bodies to have value when you switch, you'll need to switch them relatively often.

echo63 likes this.
  20. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

I do have the f/1.8 50mm, which I love, I just wish it had a metal mount!

I think that's the plan now, weight and ease of carry isn't so much of an issue for this particular holiday. I do have a lightweight rig I can take for days out, but our hotel is right on Disney, so chances are we will make the most of the parks, popping back to the hotel for camera gear and going back to the park.

I'm looking about and scouting on eBay for a good used example.

The only problem is, they told us yesterday that a lot of overtime at work was getting cut, so my average 40 hours a week will be closer to 12.