1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Photography nerds? What's your kit?

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by C.Boland93, Oct 3, 2014.

1. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I have been back and forth to the hospital, with my 18mth old daughter in tow the last few days (wife and 4 day old daughter are there)
    I have added a packet of wipes, and half a dozen nappies to the front of my camera bag (Thinktank Retrospective 7) and it seems to be working as a nappy bag so far.

heres the photo gear inside, from the top
    1tb western digital USB3 hard drive
    11" Macbook air
    Leica M240 and 50mm Summarit (f2.5), Leica memory card case, X100 battery, Fuji X100
    3 stop ND and Polariser filter, Lexar USB3 card reader (CF and SD), Canon 580EX2 (in "old school" thryistor controlled mode to work with the M240 and X100)
    Black Cinefoil (think matte black heavy duty alfoil), 2metres of toilet paper - vacuum sealed (to keep it dry), Canon off camera flash cable (basically a 2ft hotshoe extension cable)

I apologise for the image quality, it was taken with an iPhone.
    [​IMG]

I love the M240, its my favourite camera ever to use, but i have been using the heck out of the X100 this week, holding a flash with one hand and the camera with the other makes it hard to focus the M (its manual focus only)
    the X100 also has some handy little tricks up its sleeve when paired with a flash - the leaf shutter will sync up to 1/4000th of a second, without a power robbing HSS mode, it also has a 3stop ND filter built in.
    Loving the Thryistor mode on the 580EX2 as well, set the aperture and ISO to match the camera, and it judges correct exposure with the "magic eye" on the front of the flash, reducing the messing around in manual mode (ETTL obviously doesn't work with non canon cameras)
    its the first time i have played around with it, after using 580EX2 for many years.

kensington likes this.
  2. Bertjan

Bertjan Loaded Pockets

SLRs way too bulky so missed many good pics because left slr at home. Moved to a Nikon 1 V1 with a proper lens and have had it in my car everyday since I got it. Great little dayly cam, especially for street photography.

3. Ben Rubinstein

Been a pro photographer most of my working life. Shot weddings/event/commercial/portraiture with Canon starting in the film days and then onto the the DSLR age, they made it, I probably shot it. Used to EDC a Canon 5D3 and 50L but it was a bulky and heavy setup.

When disability pushed me out of the wedding game, sold all my canon gear and bought a Sony A7r. My EDC at present is a Sony A7r with 60 year old Pentax Super Taukamar 50mm f1.4, a lens I love greatly, seems to draw the way I think. Tiny package in my bag compared to the DSLR's and with image capabilities far in excess of anything the canon's can do. I have a bunch of old Pentax and Canon Manual lenses, nothing newer than 30 years old and all dirt cheap. I can fit every lens I own and use in my EDC bag (Crumpler Pretty Boy XXXL, battered, bashed and never failing, on my shoulder every time I leave the house). The Sony is a throwback to using manual cameras of the '80's in many ways, it's not easy to use but has quality far and beyond what my old Mamiya medium format cameras could ever do. Did I mention it's really small? :)

I have a Gitzo 2542L Carbon Fiber tripod with an RRS BH-40 head (lever release). It cost a good lot of money but spend once and never bother again when it's stuff of this class, I let my business pay for it all years ago and now I'm just enjoying it in 'retirement'. I carry it using an Op-Tech tripod strap. Don't use it as much as I used to, not as much need for the kind of work I do now.

I now manage 3 studio's for a museum as well as teach photography in an art school. We use Medium Format Digital Backs on Mamiya cameras in our studios as well as a brace of Nikon D800e's. I suppose I've got a lot of experience of the whole top tier of the photographic industry in the modern age. Still chose the little Sony though.

If I were to give my advice though, the Fuji X100T is now probably the best EDC choice available for a photographer. The amount of my pro photographer friends lusting after that camera for EDC is amazing.

My latest acquisition is the Peak Design Capture Pro, getting it on Sunday, looking forward to using it on my bag strap or belt. Also bought a new Upstrap to replace my current EDC upstrap which after 8 years of heavy use is beginning to look a bit worn, works incredibly well and is very tough. I used an Op-Tech on my main camera when shooting weddings, would replace those once every two years for all that they were super comfortable. The Upstrap just kept on going, never ever falling off my shoulder.

Picture from yesterday, one of my students while watching the video presentation on the white board behind me, I really do love the way that lens draws...

[​IMG]

4. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

That's one thing I need to invest in, a hard drive that I can dedicate solely to photos. But congrats on the new sproglet!

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

5. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Thanks !

and that isn't my dedicated photo drive, thats the "stop my laptop's tiny 256gb SSD from filling up with junk" drive, i also have a Time Machine drive at home too.
    at home and at work i have a 2TB powered drive, that are copies of one another.
    they are dedicated solely to photos, and have my entire archive on them.
    they are also both full, so i will be acquiring a pair of 5tb drives after christmas, and copying them over, and adding a backlog of stuff that isn't properly backed up.

the idea behind having a pair of drives, separated by about 10 miles is redundancy - if one drive fails i can retrieve the other, which has all the files on it, its unlikely something will take out both hard drives together, if something does, i will have bigger problems than where my images have gone.

bigfoot and C.Boland93 like this.
  6. Ben Rubinstein

True enough. Two is one and one is none. The mantra of any photographer. Especially with your data. Keep in mind as echo63 has said, if your backup data drive doesn't contain the latest information or if it's stored with the main drive, that isn't backup, it's a disaster waiting to happen. I use Carbonite for online backup as well as physical drives off site.

For the museum's backups we have off site tapes within the city as well as a duplicate set in a vault in a Swiss bank in Zurich (the idea being that they survive WW3, if anyone will it will be the Swiss).

C.Boland93 likes this.
  7. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

I just use Time Machine for my Mac with a 500GB HD for my MacBook then I have a 1TB drive for all my media, which is mainly films I convert for my phone and PlayStation.

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

8. Ray Neuman

Ray Neuman Loaded Pockets

Caution- Luddite alert. I shoot film. (there, I said it.....might thin out the herd to start with. :)- My EDC is a Canon A2e with a 50mm 1.8. This a quantum leap for me from the Nikon FM 50 1.8 I carried many years in a Domke F2 bag. I have a host of other lens, some zooms, most prime. While I have dabbled in digital, it does not work for the type of photography and results I require. I would post photos, but I am pretty sure there would be a lack of interest in the dusty treasures that line my shelf. :)

9. ausgebombt

ausgebombt Loaded Pockets

Ive been shooting since high school, both film and digital. Use it mostly for reference work for my paintings but also as a way to continually hone my composition abilities.

I currently use an Olympus E-P2 with the kit lens and some old AE1 lenses with an adaptor.

I shoot a lot in black and white because I like the simplicity and the focus on the composition rather than the "perfect shot"

Here are some various photos I have taken.... landscape, street photos, portraits, etc.

[​IMG] url=https://www.flickr.com/people/69797179@N07/][/url]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ttown

Ttown Loaded Pockets

11. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

For a quick easy to use support the Gorilla pod works well. It's no substitute for a real tripod. For quick shots when one needs to be in the photo or when there is no place to set up a tripod but an object one can attache th Gorilla pod is available is the reason to use this device. Do not try using the GP to support a long lense it's not designed for big loads. Comes in very handy when you need one, takes little space in most camera bags and you will be angry with yourself if have one and leave it at home. That's when you will find that yes that little awkward looking device works.

12. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I found mine to be a piece of junk, for holding an SLR
    it works well with a point and shoot, or remote flash though (which is why i still have mine)

I recently added a new tripod to my kit - i already have a big Slik Pro 700 - will happily hold 8kg of 400mm f2.8 (although it does require good technique, it can vibrate a bit, especially in the wind) and a Manfrotto 190 as a slightly more compact (but not much lighter) option.

my New tripod is specifically for my Leica M and Fuji X100, weighs 900 grams (around 2lbs) and folds up small enough to tuck into a Maxpedition small Rollypoly on my EDC bag

Sirui T-025X - with pringles can for scale
    [​IMG]

and stuffed into a Rollypoly on the side of my Thinktank Retro7
    [​IMG]

Its a reverse folding tripod, but the centre column (normally fixed in the up position) is removable, and the head is easily mounted on the spider, increasing rigidity - i still wouldn't use it to hold a 1D though, except for with a wide angle lens, at ground level as a remote camera.

13. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

This pic looks so much like a work colleague, its not funny

14. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Did get my new camera yesterday....
    :)

Phone photos...

photoboy2005 and kensington like this.
  15. Ben Rubinstein

I used to shoot weddings with a pair of those (EOS 50e in europe). Great cameras. The last canon camera to lock spot metering with a half press of the shutter release, I always missed that feature.

Ray Neuman likes this.
  16. Ray Neuman

Ray Neuman Loaded Pockets

Having attempted digital over the past 7 years, I have been very disappointed in the lack of "proper" metering and the fight over control between the camera and myself. So I am LOVING the freedom the film provides me.

17. Ben Rubinstein

Once upon a time there was Polaroid Type 55, about 50 cents a sheet. You shot, dunked in water and got a 4X5 negative with detail and tonality that would blow the mind of the DSLR crowd. I gave up shooting 4X5 when T55 disappeared. There is a 'New 55' project somewhere but the cost per sheet is unbelieveable and it's still experimental. Truly hipster territory rather than a photographers tool.

18. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

I have gone from carrying two overflowing camera bags (the type that will take multiple camera bodies and lenses) to the Panasonic LX7.

Despite having lots of other gear, it is the LX7 that has given me such creative control and quality in a small package. For EDC this is the one and only. The earlier version the LX3 was named the 'DSLR in your pocket' and I got into this range with the LX5.

Recently I've picked up a secondhand Lumix G2 and can say that for a compact SLR like camera it really has hit the spot. I might have to go for the latest version. However, the LX7 is still the one getting the most outings.

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  19. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

deleted due to error

20. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

You can still find film!?!?!?! Last one of these I saw was going for $25 at a Thrift shop