1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Photography nerds? What's your kit?

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by C.Boland93, Oct 3, 2014.

1. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

The only thing I actually carry every day is my Sony Xperia Go phone. It takes decent photos as long as the light is good, but is miserable in anything but optimal lighting conditions.

I am a keen photo enthusiast, and as a freelance journalist, I often take my own photographs, so I guess that makes me somewhat of a semi-pro. My "real" camera is a Nikon D7000. I have three lenses for it: A Nikkor 50mm f 1.8 for closeups and portraits, a cheap Tamron 50-200mm tele zoom for when I need a long lens, and a wonderful Sigma 18-50mm f 2.8 for everything else. I also have an old Nikon Speedlight S600 flash that works well, despite taking a few falls. I hardly ever use a tripod, but I do have a cheap Velbon lying around.

Bagwise, I have an old Lowepro top loader zoom for when I only carry my camera with one lens, a Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW for reportage work, and a Think Tank Airport Essentials for travel.

I also still have an Olympus OM-1 with a couple of lenses, and shoot a few rolls of BW film every year just for fun. Alas, I don't have my own darkroom, and rarely find the time to make prints anymore.

Vesp, Champion5 and Joost Heijnen like this.
  2. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

I've never actually carried a tripod attached on the side. I rarely use a tripod. Mine is older, from an era before carbon fiber, so it would be a noticeable weight. And, if I were to strap it to my pack, it would probably be on the bottom. When I carry my 70-200 in a pouch mounted on the side, it's usually balanced out (somewhat) with a water bottle on the other side.

And, I totally agree with you about carrying gear w/o padding. That's why I use a padded insert.

3. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

In my experience, no - but my tripod is a big heavy one that drags whichever side of the bag its on down.
    Sitting it in the middle of the back doesnt help either as it drags the pack backwards.

A nice light tripod is probably a completely different story

RiskMgr likes this.
  4. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

I thought in the middle of the bag would be best. And whilst it's better than either side, it can sometimes shift the centre of gravity too far away from my back. So I try and strap it horizontally on the top or bottom where possible.

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

echo63 and RiskMgr like this.
  5. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

D7000 w AF-S 35mm Nikkor F1.8 primary plus Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR DX.
    Generally don't use a flash as this camera shoots well in low light so looking for a new flash unit.
    I use tripods a lot and might get a monopod.
    I have a macro lens as well - its not very good but fun to play with.
    Video on the D7000 could be better - its just adequate.

6. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Yep, thats the way to go, if at all possible.
    Horizontally on the top or bottom - unless its a small light tripod, or you can balance it with something on the other side

7. Thukydides

Thukydides Loaded Pockets

What kind of insert is this?

8. Jby2206

Jby2206 Loaded Pockets

I don't carry it everyday, but I have a Nikon D5100 (with kit lens) and a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8. Right now I don't have a good bag to hold everything. I'm thinking of getting the ThinkTank Speed Freak V2.0
    [​IMG]DSC_0337 by j.yeager, on Flickr

9. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Thinktank makes good stuff, and they stand behind it too !
    I love my Airport Security V2 (3 yrs of full time use, and although its showing the abuse it has recieved, its still ticking along quite nicely) - they recently posted me out a new set of wheels for it, after i wore the old ones out.

The retrospective series is nice for a "stealth bag" too my Retro7 goes everywhere with me, carrying my 11" MBA and Leica M

Jby2206 likes this.
  10. parallax

parallax Loaded Pockets

Nikon D7000 with a 35mm/f1.8 prime, an 18-55mm/f3.5VR & the 70-300mm/f4.5VR :)

11. Hammer-V6

Hammer-V6 Loaded Pockets

I would actually pay the money to get the Colossus bag form MP. I have had several of the "cheaper" knock offs I bought while in China. They barely last a year, when the stitching starts giving out. If you do get one of the cheaper bags, I would go through every stitch and cover them with some sort of glue, like Super Glue. :)

Pettydroid likes this.
  12. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

That's a very neat tripod there. I do swear by Arca Swiss QR system and use it a lot. If you do want to convert... If the ball bead itself is fine and the current platform can be removed leaving a standard 3/16 or 1/4 screw or hole then you can buy just a QR platform from Kirk or the like. Economic upgrade. I've done this with a couple of ball heads which were excellent but just needed the Arca style platform.

13. Pettydroid

Pettydroid Empty Pockets

Thanks for advice, Hammer-V6. Will check the stitches.
    I'll get the Colossus some time next year, just wasn't sure if the style would fit my needs and habits. Spending $150+ on a bag, I wasn't sure of, didn't seem like a good idea. Therefore the cheap knock-off as a "tester".

14. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Oh gawd.... My brother bought the new Nikon D750....

15. Champion5

Champion5 Loaded Pockets

I am an amateur but like decent equipment.
    All fits inside a Kata 3 in 1 backpack/sling pack (I never use this bag so if someones looking to score a deal on a good bag I would sell it.)
    Nikon D7000 w/Nikon grip
    Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II
    Nikon SB-700 and SB-910 flashes
    Assortment of filters, battery chargers etc..
    Laptop
    Not in the bag...
    Manfrotto tripod and various umbrellas (speed light set ups).

Joost Heijnen likes this.
  16. Hammer-V6

Hammer-V6 Loaded Pockets

Completely understand you there... I also take a step back to pay out $150 for such a small bag! :) I have used my "Chinese copy bag" aka "Wanna-be" bag for holding my Nikon D90 and a couple of lenses with all the goodies in it as well.. It is a great bag for carrying the camera.
    I still have yet to fork out that much as well. I am still using my "wanna-be" bag.
    Best of luck to you.

Pettydroid likes this.
  17. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

Somebody I know once bought a cheap $10 copy of a Black Rapid strap. It broke, luckily while he was standing on a bed to get a shot, but his assistant said to him "why are you trusting a $10 strap to hold $5,000 worth of equipment?"

I'm kind of keeping that thought in mind while I'm looking for bags as there have been a few that tempted me that probably wouldn't hold up.

Hammer-V6 likes this.
  18. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Goes for most camera gear - i see people with L glass, and Filters from the bargain bin.

As for camera bags, cant go wrong with stuff from ThinkTankPhoto, Lowepro and Tamrac, Kata and Billingham

Fstop, Guragear, Ona, are all getting a pretty good following too (the Fstop Loka is calling to me as an EDC bag, room for a 11"MBA, Leica M kit, camelbak, small FAK and a jacket)

19. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

[​IMG]

Like thiiiiis?

20. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

^ Yeup. Just need to find the alternative Arca compatible platform.

EDIT - Just had a further look at your photo and realised that the neck on the ball head is not just flat but has that notch milled in it to engage with the slot on the clamp. That's a bit specific and not typical. Drawback is that there is less of a flat for a new plate to sit on top if this. Also it uses a countersunk screw to attach. Many ball heads are supplied with a protstud screw that you then screw the plate directly onto. My replacement plates from Kirk do exactly that having a 1/4 female thread. They are also beutifully made and expensive (GBP 50 odd).

However, I had a quick Google (Arca Quick Release Clamp) and got a hit on ebay for a clamp with plate included for about GBP 18. It also has a cross slot on the base that may work with your head. At that price, it might be worth a punt even if it requires a bit of fettling with a file! (The posting mentions it's a Benro clamp - I have bought a Benro plate elsewhere in the past and it was pretty well made and finished if not quite in the Kirk / RRS class).

Last edited by DeepBlue, Nov 13, 2014
    C.Boland93 likes this.