1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Photography nerds? What's your kit?

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by C.Boland93, Oct 3, 2014.

1. caemgen

caemgen Loaded Pockets

EDC: FUJIFILM x100v
    "Mission": NIKON D200

sino2 likes this.
  2. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

I have given up using DSLR, though been wanting to buy something like FUJIFILM INSTAX MINI EVO.

Currently using my Iphone SE 2020 as my main camera but invested on

Apps:
    VSCO (film like effect, also use clarity tool almost on all my shots)
    Focos (make bokeh much more better)
    Afterlight (add more film effect)
    ProCamera (HDR)
    Slow Shutter (slow effect, like making streams smoother or blur moving objects)

and hardware:
    Shoulderpod (improve carry when photowalking)
    Olloclip (add wide angle)
    External Battery Charger
    Zhiyun-Tech SMOOTH-X Smartphone Gimbal (for videos)

ran23 likes this.
  3. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Interesting that a lot of people here talk about the focal length of their lenses...(15-80mm, 40-105mm, etc), but very few people talk about the "speed" of their lenses.

Personally, I could care less about the focal length, my first look is at the aperture. Lenses like f4 and above are useless (to me). I'm most interested in lenses of f2.0 and below. Those are the lenses which take the world class pictures! Of course, those are also the lenses which cost the most money too.

Camera bodies are only as good as the glass out in front of them. You can have the greatest camera body in the world, and have crappy glass and it will shoot crappy, soft, pictures. You can have an average camera body, and put great glass in front and it will shoot the best pictures you've ever seen! Seriously.

I learned this lesson the hard way. Had some really cool camera bodies, and the glass was crappy (because I spent all the money on the body). I learned quickly...spend the money on the glass (lenses), and you will immediately take better pictures. Yes, you still need to know how to take pictures, but with good glass they will come out better.

Anymore, I only look for lenses less than f2.0 (more like f1.4 and below). Really "fast" lenses. They take so much better pictures. Tough on the wallet, I won't lie (and I'm poor), but... "buy once, cry once"...is very true with camera lenses.

4. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

For 2021 vacation i bought me a new camera, was tired of taking pics with my phone.. (i think it looks ridiculus and the photos suck when trying to use them more than social media)
    I got me a Fujifilm X-T4 with kit lens, 18-55 2.8-4.0, it works really well. I’m happy with my
    purchase and have gotten a few nice photos of my kids and made some framed photos.

DCBman likes this.
  5. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I've been a hardcore Canon guy since I don't even remember when. Have more Canon gear than I can carry. Nice stuff too.

I just jumped into the Nikon world tonight. Been looking at mirrorless stuff for a while now, and decided on Nikon (Z50). Looked hard at the 4/3'rds stuff, but ultimately decided on APS-C. Gear isn't going to show up until Wednesday, but I'm looking forward to it.

Bought a couple "fast" fixed prime lenses too (f1.2 and f1.4); not Nikon but I'm not sure I care at this point.

6. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I kind of agree, or I probably fully agree, but your post lacks a bit of nuance.
    Like with everything, the right tool for the job is the most important aspect. And there is way more than "speed" that goes into that equation.
    Speed, or a large aperture lens, will only be useful if you actually need the speed for sports/fast action shots, to avoid flash/artificial lighting in low light scenes or subject separation.
    And for sports/action shots, you would still need a kick :censored: camera body with fast AF tracking to take advantage of a fast lens.
    Beyond knowing where large apertures are useful, one should also consider the fact that large aperture lenses are usually way more expensive, larger and heavier than their lesser aperture counterparts. These are important aspects if you're travelling, carrying your equipment on your body or need to cover a range of focal lengths / features on a fixed budget.
    There's also sharpness, uniformity (e.g. edge sharpness/color vs center), color rendering, bokeh, AF speed, weather sealing etc.

Back when I was more into photography than I'm now, I used to follow an amateur photographer that specialized in landscape photos. Don't remember his name/handle, but man... you wouldn't believe what equipment he used when you saw his pictures. It was absolute budget class gear. The thing was, he used very uniform prime lenses that had their peak sharpness in the aperture range he used them in.

I also seem to remember Trey Ratcliff finding that one of Sony's APC-C wide angle zooms was a better match for their full frame cameras than the presumably better, larger and more expensive full frame lens.

I guess what I'm saying is; decide what you need your lens to do for you and do proper research. Specs in datasheets are just good for filtering out candidates, a budget large aperture lens, may need to be set to a smaller aperture than a decent lens with smaller max. aperture to reach equivalent sharpness and color rendering. Or may never do so at all.

7. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

[​IMG]

My X-T4 and testing the new Feelworld 4K 2200nits external display, great for landscapes and a co-operator when flying my drone.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

DCBman and ran23 like this.
  8. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Well, I got my Nikon, albeit 4 days late (thanks, FedEx), but that's a whole other story. After a few hours reading the manual while the battery was charging I shot a hundred or so test shots trying out the various camera functions (mostly the manual and custom settings, and reprogramming certain buttons for convenience). Wow! This thing takes fantastic pictures! I am truly amazed!

I did most of my test shots with the 16-50mm lens f3.5 lens which came with the camera. Then, just for grins, I swapped out the stock lens for my new 50mm manual prime f1.2 lens. Holy Mackerel!! World-class shots in less than 4 hours after owning the camera! Spectacular bokeh, DOF about as shallow as you'd want to go, but you can deepen it to almost infinity. Unbelievable lens! I've still got a 55mm f1.4 lens I need to experiment with, so I'm looking forward to that.

But overall, I'm pleased as punch with the new camera!

P.S. Long ago I did away with neck straps on my cameras, and switched to swivel attached straps on the bottom of the camera so the body carries upside down. Fastest way to draw and shot a camera, just love those straps. So, I switched one of my BlackRapid straps over to the new Nikon. Now I can't wait to get out and do some street work. I'm geeked!

9. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

@MangeD700 - Doesn't that screen make your body a little unwieldy to hold without a tripod?

I've seen those screens before, but thought they were mostly used for shooting movies with a cage on the body. Looks pretty cool though. Too big for anything I'd need, but how do you like it?

10. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yes, very top heavy coz it has one or two big batteries attached to the back of it.

But as I mentioned, this display was meant for my drone harness and an eventual co-operator

11. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

[​IMG]

Here its attached to my Lifthor Strapthor harness and the Dji Smart Controller below.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk