1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Photography nerds? What's your kit?

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by C.Boland93, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I
    I actually bought the M10 last year, after I happened across a protest and only had my phone (which meant I had very few issues), but a friend of mine who is a photographer for National Geographic had his camera smashed by demonstrators, seemingly based on nothing more than the size of it.

My video ended up being used by about 50 news outlets across the globe. The next time it happened I had the M10 and had no issues.

2. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I had my work get me a Fuji XT-2 (which I LOVE by the way) and the images it produces are top notch. But even it seems too big to carry. If I could get away with an EOS M50 (or M10) a MacBook Air (or Windows Surface tablet) and my iPhone I would be extatic. Nice video BTW. If you hadn’t mentioned it being from a phone, I’d be hard pressed to notice.

3. Spartan857

Spartan857 Loaded Pockets

Most Versatile EDC Camera System.

4. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

XT2 is nice and small (at least it depends on your point of view)
    I used to drag 2x 1DX bodies and lenses from 14mm to 200mm (with a big 400f2.8 or 600f4 when needed) around for work.
    My light travel kit is a Leica M240, 4 lenses and a MacBook air.

A different bag may help you out - I love my ThinktankPhoto ChangeUp V2 and Retrospective7, and MindshiftGear Ultralight Trail16L bags for carrying my gear around in - the Retro7 and Trail16L will take an 11" MacBook Air or 12" MacBook easily.
    the Retro7 was my EDC bag with camera and laptop for many years.

5. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

A Sony EX1 has now been added to the kit I can use... It's HUGE

MCPOWoller likes this.
  6. MCPOWoller

Wow that thing is big! Great quality I hear though, so I am sure it is worth it.

We just upgraded to Nikon D850's at work. We don't do much video work anymore. If we do we will use the D850's.

Journo likes this.
  7. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I am looking forward to using it tomorrow, I am covering the Royal Rota so it will be various members of the Royal Family at the Polo.

Normal use will be for protests and spontaneous news (meaning I'll need to buy a new bag to carry it).

As an aside, I've been watching Shot In The Dark, on Netflix, and it makes me realise that doing my job in LA would be very different to London!

8. MCPOWoller

Why do you think I moved out of California! I always thought I was safer in Iraq than I was going to some parts of SoCal and especially Tiajuana! People have apps for their phones that alert them to high speed chases. Either to avoide them or watch them on TV.

Journo likes this.
  9. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Iraq had more liberal weapons laws...

I did 7 months in NY, I thought that was where it was at, but the whole stringing in LA seems to be a whole new world!

10. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I need some help.

I have a Canon M10 with the stock lens (15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Wide Angle Zoom). I have previously used a range of cameras (and phones) for my work, but I want to just use the M10 (I love it). Can people please suggest what lenses I would be best with?

I shoot protests and demonstrations, state occasions, general street photography and I do lots of video. I know that I have an adaptor somewhere so that I can use normal lenses too. But, what should I buy?

11. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

Since it's a crop sensor you may like 24mm, 50mm and 85mm prime lenses.

Journo likes this.
  12. MCPOWoller

What about the Sigma 12-24 f/4? On your M10 it would be a 19-35 f/4 zoom. Also the Tamron SP AF 17‑50mm f/2 8 might be a better choice. It would be a 27-80 f/2.8. A bit more zoom range and a bit faster. Or you could go with some prime lenses like Suzuki said above.

Journo likes this.
  13. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the input, I will be checking out your recommendations this weekend!

14. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I went to look at lenses.... I left the shop with a Canon 5D and loads of bits...

So, I need lenses for that. I have an STM 50mm prime at the moment, and a 75-300.

15. Spartan857

Spartan857 Loaded Pockets

I think i found my perfect edc camera bag

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  16. SuzukiGS750EZ

Ruby throated hummingbird. Tamron 150-600 g2 & Canon 80D. Handheld with flash.[​IMG]

#676 SuzukiGS750EZ, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  17. SuzukiGS750EZ

My Sony rx100 vi will be here tomorrow :)

MCPOWoller and Journo like this.
  18. majorspud

majorspud Loaded Pockets

I've posted my old full kit bags modded from military bags in the photography section. I've since switched to a Thinktank Airport Security. I'm a Canon guy and I've got a M5 as a third body with a couple M series lenses, but I mainly use it with the EF adapter and carry a L series lens or two when I go out shooting around. Do not use the M5 for sports... Way too slow. I carry in a tiny Lowe bag and sometimes strap a monopod up the strap.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  19. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

For the longest time I only had film cameras. Was gifted a Mirrorless Sony with a lens but since the lens isn't very fast and it hasn't got a hot shoe it doesn't get much use. I got a Canon TTi with two lenses and some lenses I had works with it and it has a built in flash AND a hot shoe it gets used a lot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ran23 likes this.
  20. majorspud

majorspud Loaded Pockets

I gave in with the M5. It allows L series lenses to mount with an adapter, so it now gives me the option to take a camera places in lieu of taking a huge and massive bit of kit if I want to shoot something for fun. The M5 also allows you to remote view, focus and trigger via, in my case, an iPhone, so I can mount it in a balcony and get the backside of a bride and the rest of the church as she walks down the aisle while I'm physically photographing her from the front.