1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Photography nerds? What's your kit?

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by C.Boland93, Oct 3, 2014.

1. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

You were right. I went ahead and got the 35mm f/1.8 G DX lens and now want to get that 70-200 f/2.8, as well as upgrade to a Nikon D5500 or D5600. I love this camera (D3100) and learned a great deal about photography from it. I've gone away from full auto mode, and learned to set my own aperture, ISO, shutter speed, etc. I've also been shooting in RAW and doing my post processing using either View NX-2 or Adobe Elements 6. I think I've begun to outgrow my D3100; the 14.2 MP is sufficient, but I want to be able to crop, therefore I would like to get a 24MP camera.

kensington and ran23 like this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Loaded Pockets

I’m heavily invested in Micro 4/3’s gear with an Olympus EM1, EPL5, EPM1 and Lumix GX85, GM1, GF1 plus a swag of lenses...

I’ve also been dabbling in APSC with a Ricoh GRII as a “street” camera since last January...

3. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

My main camera is Canon 7D which I normally carry with a 24-105mm f4 mounted, and a 70-200 f2.8 zoom and 100m f2.8 macro in my bag.

On business trips to somewhere interesting I now carry a Canon M6 with an 14-55mm mounted, and a 18-150mm in the bag.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  4. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

Blew out another shutter on my D700 (this will be my 3rd). I have been limping along with the D70 for the past month or so waiting for the tax return to get it replaced...

5. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

How much is a shutter replacement? Wouldn’t it be cheaper to upgrade to a D800 or D810?

6. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

$350-$400

I have considered it but for the way I shoot, spray and pray, and the fact that I do not plan on using my DSLR for video there is no comparison in regards to fps with my grip. The resolution in the D700 is plenty for me, my pc chokes enough on whatever the D700 spits out.

If anything I have considered a used D700 or even better a used D3 or D3s.

If I didn't have what I have invested in lenses (and 6 kids) I would have made the move to mirrorless.

I also really love how the D700 feels in hand, balance is great for me, whether it has the 50 1.4 or 70-200 2.8 on it.

7. coktailmunky

coktailmunky Empty Pockets

I run a Canon 80D DSLR with the extended battery grip. Multitude of lenses, etc. But I’m still SUPER new to photography and have along way to go.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCPOWoller, kensington and PBJS II like this.
  8. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

The 80D is a great camera - and kit lenses have come a long way in the last few years - the new 18-55 IS and the 55-250 are actually pretty decent.

I wouldn't use those two screw on "teleconverters" you have there unless your really need them (i assume they were thrown in with a "kit" from a camera store ?) they will affect the image quality.

9. coktailmunky

Yeah those teleconverters don't get touched. The kit lenses are pretty good. I use the 18-55 the most. Other than that I use the "nifty fifty" 50mm Canon I bought or a fun fisheye I got. Now I'm looking for a new wide angle but they are expensive for what I'm looking for.

10. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I've got an 80D as well and have been shooting 10+ years, you'll always be "learning" so to speak.

coktailmunky likes this.
  11. SuzukiGS750EZ

Get the 24mm stm if you want to try wide angle without spending a ton, or the 10-18mm. Keep in mind the 80D is a crop body so you need to multiply by 1.6 to get the "effective focal length" which changes field of view. 50mm on the 80d is 80mm, 24mm is roughly 38mm. On a full frame camera which is the "standard", these lenses are their given focal length.

coktailmunky likes this.
  12. coktailmunky

Hey thanks, I may take you up on that sometime.

13. poe47

poe47 Loaded Pockets

I'm big into smartphone photography. No, they don't match the big, expensive pro cameras, but there are still some that do an amazing job. My Pixel 2 is phenomenal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

With all the advances in cell phone camera technology, cell phone camera photos are approaching DSLR photo quality in some situations. Now, I'm going to keep with my DSLR and lenses, however, it's great to have an easy alternative for taking pictures and video using today's cell phone cameras. Because cell phone cameras are becoming so good, home video cameras are going the way of the dodo bird. In fact, I haven't seen anyone with a traditional home video camera in years. The problem with cell phone camera videos is that they are so shaky, it gives me a headache when watching them. You can get marginally better results using a selfie stick, but the camera shake is still very noticeable. So I thought about getting a cell phone gimbal, I whittled my choice down to two options: Zhiyun Smooth Q and the new DJI Osmo Mobile 2. Both made in China, but according to many youtube videos, both are great quality gimbals. As many know, DJI is the current leader in the drone market, with their drone cameras leading the field in camera quality and stabilization. The 3 axis gimbals in the drones produce beautifully stabilized video. After further research, I decided on the DJI Osmo Mobile 2 because some users have reported problems with Zhiyun's camera app having problems with their android devices, I don't know how true that is though. Here it is with my Samsung Galaxy S8+ with thin case, mounted on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It takes some getting used to the controls but after a while, I was able to get some great steady videos and photos with this thing. I'm still learning, and haven't tried using the timelapse, hyperlapse, or motion lapse functions yet. It's till cold here where I live, but I hope to try it out further when it gets warmer, especially when I go on vacation in May.

Anyone else have a gimbal or thinking about getting a gimbal for their photography needs?

sarge1967 likes this.
  15. SuzukiGS750EZ

I'm pretty happy with my Samsung galaxy s9+ camera(s) but cell phone photos leave a lot to be desired if you plan to actually use the photos or crop them. For a quick shot or social media type stuff they're great because of the file size. I still prefer to use my camera whenever possible.

kensington and MCPOWoller like this.
  16. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Yes, definitely agree with you there. For posting to social media and videos, I'll go with my phone, but for those instances when I want a great photo, especially in low light, I'll go with my DSLR if possible. As good as cell phone cameras are now, they will always be limited by the physical size of the sensor, which means less light gathering capability. Even increasing the megapixel size will not improve it, which is why Samsung has stayed with the 12MP size and just concentrated on improving image quality. There are pictures I've taken with the phone camera in low light that are still very grainy. But for social media and home video purposes, the phone camera is still very handy and convenient, which is why I got the gimbal.

17. SuzukiGS750EZ

Yeah. I hate the noisy photos my phone produces, but I think having two apertures is neat. Not that it'll be producing any artsy bokeh...

18. sarge1967

sarge1967 Loaded Pockets

I am in the market for a phone gimbal for my Samsung Galaxy S9+. I would love to hear about your experiences with the DJI as you use it.

19. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

The more I progress through my journey of 'carrying less junk' the more I come to appreciate my little mirrorless Canon M10, it's small and light and easy to use and the quality of the photos is great.

With that and my phone I have been able to replace all of my large cameras and lense kits and now I have something which could fit into my pocket.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  20. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I’ve heard great things about the Canon M series of mirrorless cameras. I’ve been eyeing the M50 myself.