1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Photography nerds? What's your kit?

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by C.Boland93, Oct 3, 2014.

1. mario23

mario23 Loaded Pockets

I have an Olympus EM-10 which I love. Its a real fast enthusiast type camera with great focus skills and color. I have a 17mm prime, 12-40 2.8, and a 150 zoom. I throw the kit into different bags based on my needs that day...mostly back packs. I travel out of the country alot and for that, my Ona is the best small light cam bag I've ever had. And yes, I've had them all!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

sungame and C.Boland93 like this.
  2. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at those, a Nest tripod, and some of the 3LT models. Plan on buying quality and buying once now since I've gone through one or two crappy ones.

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

3. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

My tripod buying advise is simple - buy the best you can afford.
    The hardest part is balancing cost, weight and quality

Gitzo make great stuff, its light, but ouch is it pricey
    Most Manfrotto stuff is a but cheaper, heavier and well built
    The cheaper chinese manufacturers are producing some brilliant stuff, manufacturers like induro, sirui, benro etc

I am about to purchase a new tripod too, i have already decided on a tiny sirui T-025X - its about the size of a can of pringles.
    That said, its going to be my small light go everywhere tripod, for use with a tiny leica kit.
    Its weight rating should hold a dslr, but im willing to bet it wont be sturdy enough to hold one still for longer exposures
    My big 14yr old 9lb Slik will still be used for my SLRs, but even it isnt sturdy enough for exposures in the 1/15th to 1/2sec range with lenses longer than 150mm unless the technique is perfect (cable release, mirror lockup, slight bit of tension in the legs)

4. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

I ruled out Manfrotto solely because I like twist lock legs. I'm thinking of taking a punt on a Nest NT-6294CK. Seems to have decent specs. There's just too much to choose from!

5. Sonoran Tree
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Sonoran Tree Loaded Pockets

Manfrotto tripods are very durable, stable, and time-tested. I have one that is probably 20yrs old and it still works great. When I bought it, the talk was that the twist-lock legs jammed up with sand and contaminants - not sure if this has changed or not...

6. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

They do, but it takes a lot of junk to jam them up
    They are also easy to pull apart and wash.
    They are also self adjusting, without tools, just do them up tighter - the manfrotto leverlocks need a socket to tighten (or pliers on a multitool, like i had to do for a colleague last night) some other brands cant be adjusted

I havent seen the Nest tripods, so i cant really make a comment on them.
    I like the twist locks too, my monopod has them, as will my new tripod, my "old faithful" slik has the leverlocks, that cant be pulled apart to clean :(

7. dmwhiteman

dmwhiteman Loaded Pockets

I use the mefoto backpacker tripod kit. It's very heavy duty and will support my d3000 on pretty much any surface. It's a little on the heavy side but if I'm taking all my photo gear with me, I'm usually past thinking about weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yeah, I'm not massively concerned about weight, obviously the lighter the better but I've carried practically my own body weight in camping gear on my back many a time and still survived! I'd like to try my hand at some wildlife photography but I only have lenses up to the 270mm end and its a Tamron 18-270 I got for travelling so wasn't as concerned with image quality as I was with capturing the moments at the time. It's a decent lens as a walk around but it's not exactly pin sharp at the far ends.

vinniec5 and Pettydroid like this.
  9. akmedic77

akmedic77 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My equipment lives in that Pelican Case. EOS Rebel 2000 (Film) & EOS Rebel XSi. Approximately 15K photos through the XSi so far. Wife's camera is a 60D.

Vesp and MedicInTraining like this.
  10. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

Everyday I carry the Fuji X100s with no accessories other than 1 spare battery.
    For weddings I use a pair of Nikon D700 with Sigma 50 1.4 Art, Sigma 35 1.4 Art, Nikon 85 1.8, Nikon 70-200 2.8, & Tamron 90 macro. Plus a whole range of Elinchrom lighting gear

kensington likes this.
  11. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Camera Geeks... I almost took the plunge and purchased the Sony A7. The reviews on youtube rarely tell the full story and minimize its short comings. After trying all the flavors of this Full Frame Mirros-less camera, I find we are still a few years (Maybe just one) away from a mirror less camera competing with the DSLR. I don't want to go into some rant about this Sony A7 (Best Mirror-less on the market today), but if you have a Nikon D5300 or Cannon T5i, those will out perform the Sony A7 at less then half the price and are not much larger then the Sony A7. Granted they are not Full Frame cameras, but the image quality is there, auto focus is way faster, high ISO performance seems way batter on Nikon and Cannon.

I really wanted to get this Full Frame Sony, but it misses where I feel I need it to hit. I take a lot of sports photography, Sony just can't do that unless in manual mode. Thats a deal breaker in Sports.

12. nitevision

nitevision Loaded Pockets

How do you like the X100s? I'm in the market for a high end compact that can serve as an EDC of sorts. The X100s is competing for my money with the likes of the Ricoh GR, Fuji X30 and the Panasonic LX100.

13. nitevision

nitevision Loaded Pockets

Sorry, Double post. Please delete.

14. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

I love it! When I was shopping for an EDC camera, I wanted all the same features of my D700 including full manual shooting modes and it really delivers. Keep in mind, It has an APS-C sensor which was also a big selling point for me. Plus, it looks really cool molded after the old Leica film cameras.

15. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

I like the Fuji x100s as well. Nice photos, cool retro design. Wont ever take the place of a good lens on a DSLR, but as a point and shot camera, it seems nice. Do you have issues with the slow auto-focus people seem to complain about a lot?

16. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

I have only a couple times. Usually indoors when there is low light in the room. You can however use the autofocus assist light feature which works fairly well. Not a big problem for me, I use it mostly outside.

17. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

Today's score! Went for it as it was on sale and I couldn't refuse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vesp, RiskMgr, Lou_G and 1 other person like this.
  18. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Looks good !
    love the little bag it comes with.

Does it use standard Arca Swiss plates ?

19. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

The bag is pretty awesome, well padded and a couple of pockets on it, but I plan on getting a new photo backpack with tripod holder so I don't have to carry two things.

With regards to Arca Swiss compatibility, I've taken this quote from a review.
    "Nest ball heads although claimed by few vendors as Arca compatible due to resemblance, actually their lever release clamp is a hybrid, something between a Gitzo style quick release clamp with an Arca style QR plate, but neither Gitzo nor Arca plates are interchangeable."

I don't have one handy to try anymore as it left with the ball head of my old tripod. But I must admit, it looks to me as if it would fit.

At the price I paid for this, even if I end up swapping the head at some point it would still work out a steal.

Currently playing with converting it to a monopod, it's so easy I might start timing and testing myself.

20. Thukydides

Thukydides Loaded Pockets

Is it comfortable to have the tripod attached on the side? I also need to replace my Kata. I wouldn't put expensive photogear in a Rush with no padding though. Unfortunately: There are lots of bag-choices...