1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Photography nerds? What's your kit?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by C.Boland93, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

My wife is the photographer. She mostly uses her 5D Mark III with an assortment of lenses. I'd be :censored:'ing if I tried to name them and what they do. She has a few big purse like bags that she uses, and I always tell her that they suck. When she goes on big outdoor sessions she uses a nicely padded Mystery Ranch 3DAP. She needs a nice camera back pack for her stuff but she doesn't geek out over that stuff like I do. If I had that kind of money tied up in my camera gear I would get a Pelican 1600 series case with pluck foam.

2. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

The 1600 series cases are really heavy once you get them full of gear (they are super protective though)

Have a look at Mindshiftgear packs if she is looking for an outdoor photo bag - i have their ultralight trail16l for my mirrorless rig - its an awesome pack.
    Thinktank make great solutions for professional photographers moving gear around the city (thinktank and mindshift are sister companys)

3. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

My 7D with 18mp sensor produces raw files anywhere between 14mb and 34mb depending on the subject, which suggests that a 46mp sensor could produce files up to 150mb.

1 person likes this.
  4. COfastwrx

COfastwrx Loaded Pockets

Canon 6D
    Canon T1i
    Canon 24-105 f4L IS USM
    Canon 18-55 IS
    Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG HSM Art Lens

MCPOWoller likes this.
  5. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have th new Fuji X-T2? If so I'd like to know what you think of it. Any pluses and minuses?

Spartan857 likes this.
  6. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

I don't own it but I've only heard great things! I thought about going mirrorless but it's strange to me.

7. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

For work I still use a Nikon D4s and a D810. But I also have a Fuji X-E2 that I LOVE to carry on the weekends. At first I didn't think I would like mirrorless but it is such a relief to NOT have to carry so much weight and just focus on taking great images. Plus for some reason, a Fuji image converted to B&W in Lightroom looks much better than a Nikon image done the same way. IMHO anyway.

COfastwrx likes this.
  8. Spartan857

Spartan857 Loaded Pockets

I've shot on this camera, its amazing for what it is... Just a little Pricey

r1dg3xrac3r and MCPOWoller like this.
  9. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Oh how I wish to get a decent DSLR. But funds are needed for electricity and such

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

10. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Used to be kind of a photography nerd, but haven't had enough time lately. Sold my full frame Nikon and replaced it with a used D300s to free up some funds. That should make my current inventory something like this:
    Nikon D300s
    Olympus OM-D E-M10
    Nikon V1
    Canon S95
    GoPro hero 4 silver
    Garmin Virb
    Nikon speedlight sb-900
    Nikon speedlight sb-n5
    A good selection of high quality lenses, mostly primes, but unfortunately missing a good macro at the moment.
    Too many tripods
    Too many photo bags, but missing a good shoulder bag. Must sell a few to fund it.
    At least one of almost every accessory Peak Design ever made, except their bags.

I don't expect photography to be my primary focus any time soon, but I have a good basic kit to use as an extension of my other hobbies. With some tweaks it could become really good, just hasn't been a priority lately.

From an EDC point of view, it's without doubt the Olympus that is most carried. Usually with just a panasonic 20/1.7 or 7-14/4.0, or both. If I know my day will be more photo oriented I might throw in an Olympus 45/1.8 and a gorillapod as well.

If I know I'll be shooting, I pack whatever I expect to need.

As for the action cams, they are mainly for water activity and dog training. I have a camera harness for the dog and sync the video with positionlog from Garmin Astro to analyze our training sessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

In the 80s and into the 90s I was shooting film. Mostly military aircraft.
    Besides this EOS650 and three lenses I have an older AE1 setup.
    I think an early Canon DSLR could run my lenses.
    I had a chance to fool around at a roadrace and I'm pretty sure I'm right.
    However even an older Canon is out of my reach for the foreseeable future.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  12. aicolainen

Not sure how this works for Canon, but with Nikon, the pro and semi-pro bodies can take just about any Nikkor lens ever made. I recently downgraded to a Nikon D300s which was a semi-pro back in the days. I needed the backwards compatibility, frame rate and flash features, but could live without the latest in sensor tech. I paid the Norwegian equivalent of about 100USD, including extra batteries and vertical battery grip. 100 USD is still a lot of money if you don't have it, but if Canon has a similar approach, it could mean that a decent DSLR could be achievable somewhere in the not too distant future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I suppose it's possible.
    Of course now the computer is well and truly dead. So even if I get a Cannon DSLR body I couldn't modify the images.

14. aicolainen

That is truly a problem.

Wish you all the luck on your interviews/work hunting. That is probably the most important step to solve any problem, including these luxury modern world problems mentioned above ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. COfastwrx

COfastwrx Loaded Pockets

16. s3k0j

s3k0j Loaded Pockets

What do people think of Sony's Alpha line? I'm eyeing the a5100, but I'm not sure if it is portable enough to warrant it over something like their RX100 III. I've got an older Pentax K-X that I like, but it's big enough that I never carry it anymore, so what's the point?

Not sure if the a5100 is going to be that much smaller that it is worth it, though dimensions are pretty slight with a pancake lens...I'm nervous about being stuck with only 1 (albeit well-reviewed) lens in something more portable like the RX100. I'm not a pro by any means but I like options, and all else being equal quality is better with a larger sensor...

17. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

I've a Sony A58 which was a replacement a couple of years ago for an A200. I like it, does what I want and I'm pleased with it. I've the stock standard lens it came with. I've also a 18-300 Sigma and a Sigma (Bigma) 50-500 lens.

I am certainly no pro too, very much a hit or miss and I only take pictures for myself.

The A58 with the 18-300 is a great travel combination, a little bulky but better than carrying two lenses which would make even more bulk in my opinion. The Bigma is a monster though, certainly not a carry around lens, in fact it needs supporting on a tri or at least a mono pod, also needs support during carrying. The A series all have plastic mounts making the need of support essential.

On another note lens prices have shot up due to this Brexit business. I paid £850 for the Bigma, this week it's up another £200 !

#557 Devon Scout, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  18. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I actually put a roll of 400 24exp in my EOS650. Not sure what I will do with it however.

19. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I took out a roll of CPS out of a Nikon body. now what to do with it?

20. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Never heard of cps but if its a film i guess you should develop it?