1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Photography nerds? What's your kit?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by C.Boland93, Oct 3, 2014.

1. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

Seeing all these mirrorless.setups is making me think about transitioning to them again

YoungBuddah and demPho like this.
  2. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

The EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) is just amazing. The Sony A7II's have in body stabilization (IBIS), which is great especially when using older lenses that never had any stabilization. I sold most of my Nikon gear and not looking back.

demPho likes this.
  3. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

I did 6 months of research on the A7 system and the lust was real. Went with Fuji for two reasons, price and overall kit size. Full frame glass will always be full frame size no matter the body size. I do still plan to buy an RX1r before my trip to Greece. There's something about that thing that I just can't get over! Mirrorless all day tho!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

TransportJockey likes this.
  4. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Fuji makes a great camera. I tested the XT1,xT10 and XPro1 and now two. I really liked the XT1, but the dynamic range didn't compare to the Sony. I ended up with an A7II and an A6000. APSC compared to full frame... That gap is getting smaller, but the depth of field and low light on Full Frame cannot be beat. Yet...

demPho likes this.
  5. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

I think I might be renting some mirrorless setups soon to play around and see what I like :)

demPho likes this.
  6. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

It's true, regarding dynamic range. That's a tradeoff I chose to make. I transitioned from commercial photography to documentary wedding photography and I really couldn't justify the 'need' for those full frame benefits. I will say that working with a system like the Fuji completely changed and improved my approach. Made me think, work, and move for it.

K2-Kevin likes this.
  7. Mdfica

Mdfica Empty Pockets

My kit consists of Nikon D5200, 18-200mm, 35mm, 40mm, various filters, extra battery, pocket reflector, lens cleaner, hurricane blower, extra SD Cards, iPad/SDCard adapter, and the rest of my EDC gear. All neatly tucked away in a CaseLogic backpack.

8. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

I got lucky with a great local camera store, not many of those left, that let me just take a few out for hours and play. I brought some SD cards, and compared shots when I got home.
    There was a lot to like about the Fuji mirrorless and the Sony, but the end results is what sold me. With the right lens, the Fuji can take great images, with any lens, the Sony took amazing photos. I used one of my fav Nikon lenses, a Zeiss 35mm on the Sony, it blew my mind how it was so much better on the Sony then the Nikon it was made for. Same lens on the Fuji, well, it did look great. But every photo was the same. I guess, kind of flat...

What I do like is Sony full frame can also use your APSC lenses, it detects a crop sensor lens and reduces the sensor to basically an APSC sensor like the Fuji, cannon, Nikon DX cameras etc., but again your get in body stabilization no matter which lens.

Those old vintage lenses you have on the shelf, will work, and be stabilized for the first time ever!

9. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Sounds solid, I had a Nikon D5300 and Nikon D700. I liked shooting with that D5300 a lot, still kept my D700 and a few choice lenses, but haven't touched that body in awhile.

10. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

I left full frame Nikon and all its dynamic range and depth. I noticed the flatness you're talking about quickly. But that was part of the making me work for it thing. I got used to the AF speed and range of the Nikon to bail me out and make average shots seem more interesting. The fujis made me really think through things and anticipate. I found serious value in that because my images got way way better.

K2-Kevin likes this.
  11. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

So true...

12. djren12

djren12 Loaded Pockets

My new baby, my first Dslr. Canon 80d with a kit 18-135 usm battery grip and not pictured 100mm macro L as well as a 100-400 L II.

[​IMG]j

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Nice photos and nice camera! I love my Nikon's that my work gives me to use. But I sure miss shooting Canon!

14. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

Sony A58 With stock 18-55
    Tamron 18-200
    Sigma 50-500 (Bigma)
    Manfrotto 732Y Carbon Fibre Tripod with MHXPRO-3W Head
    Cokin Filters
    Peak Design Strap

May soon upgrade and replace the body.

15. MangeD700
    • The Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sold all my Nikon gear...

Got a Point-n-Shoot instead, much easier to have with nowadays, out with my kids and on vacations.

[​IMG]
    Sony RX100 Mk4

Sent from my S6 Edge+

stoneworks and MCPOWoller like this.
  16. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

That 100mm Macro lens is a beauty, I use mine far more than I expected to.

17. ran23
    • The Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I didn't get a 85mm, but found a Nikor 105mm that still fit under the hard case. Very popular lens.

18. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

You sold ALL YOUR NIKON GEAR!? :eek: :frantic: FWIW I too use a Sony RX100 MK2 as my EDC camera.

19. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I recently changed jobs, and had to hand back my Canon SLR kit**
    Its nice being able to take photos for fun, not having to meet deadlines, follow a brief, or even get a decent pic.

I am now using my M240, and have added a few more lenses to the kit
    Voigtlander 28f2 ultron and 35f1.2 nokton, Leica 50 f2.5 Summarit and Minolta 90f4 M Rokkor.

**2x 1DX, 16-35f2.8, 24-70f2.8, 70-200f2.8, 1.4 and 2x teleconverters, 2x600EX speedlite and ST-E3.

20. shakespear

shakespear Empty Pockets

Can anyone recommend a good point and shoot for vlogging? Looking to shoot things I see day to day with a smaller camera