1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Photography nerds? What's your kit?

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by C.Boland93, Oct 3, 2014.

1. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

looking at the EXIF data attached, it had 7 stops less (or 1/64th) the light.
    the description in the post says "only the light from my computer monitor"

my cameras here at home couldn't make that picture without a tripod or flash, and my work issued Canon 1DX (canon's top of the tree DSLR) would look similar to that pic above

2. Judgeless

Judgeless Loaded Pockets

I have spent a lot of time on the forums over the last month. 99% of the pictures look like that bad pic. Why are people taking pics without enough light? Why not use a flash? Why spend thousands on a camera that you are going to shoot in bad light. And worse post the bad pic you took like your proud of it.

3. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I prefer the image with noise better than your cell phone pic. Your cell phone pic is a bit harsh on the eyes, washed out, not horrible by any means, just least preferred of the two for me.

I think that is part of the reason why you see those types of pics, proper use of flash is not as easy as just enabling the onboard flash or even slapping a flash on the hot shoe. It's about getting just the right amount of light without being harsh, hot spots, reflections, etc.

Very similar to people who think too much editing is not really photography, all personal preference. This thread after all is about photography nerds so nitpicking and cults will be in abundance.

C.Boland93 likes this.
  4. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

FYI, I also use other E mount, none full frame lenses (Which are much cheaper) on my Sony A7II and the camera detects the APSC lens and all you are missing is field of view. They work great.

Tornado likes this.
  5. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Think you missed the point of that test shot. This was a dark office, no lights on, only a computer monitor for lighting 10 feet away. Literally could not read the logo on the bag or details of stitching. In low/VERY little light, High ISO, Slow shutter speed, and hand holding (No tripod).

Not only did I get a pretty sharp image at high ISO, also very nice Bokeh. Good smartphone cameras, the iPhone and Samsung have the best, can take some great photos and video with a light. Maybe I should take the same pic with a smartphone. Next post.

6. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Obviously, you didn't read the notes on my pic. No doubt Smartphones can take great photos with lots of light. But my original photo was simply to show auto-focus in low/NO light,

Here is a pic from iPhone 5s under the same exact conditions (No Flash). This will give you a better idea of how dark the room is, even with monitor glow.

[​IMG]

kensington likes this.
  7. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

I think one of the main reason many photos posted here are dark is most prefer dark and noisy to overblown and washed out. I like the play with shadows, since were not doing product photos for a website, but posting interesting photos of stuff we have.

8. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

I think most people just don't want to take the time to compose or have that time, worry about lighting etc. Im one of them, unless Im trying to sell a product or show off something, its just a quick snapshot.

9. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

Good point. Perhaps you're right with that. Whatever the reason, I'm fine with the photo being what it is. It's the product that matters most, though looking at good photos of cool products is a joyous activity.

10. Judgeless

Judgeless Loaded Pockets

I do not like the noisy picture. It reminds of watching a analog TV channel vs a HD Digital feed. The HD feed is very clear and sharp.

11. Judgeless

Judgeless Loaded Pockets

I just took the last picture I found that looked bad and posted it. Sorry I will gave a better example of a bad pic.

12. Judgeless

Judgeless Loaded Pockets

This is a better example. A good cell phone camera can take a lot better shot than that. It looks like there was a lot of light in that pic.

13. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Yup thats a lot more light, yet still has noise. This was a cell phone pic. LOL

Judgeless, Maybe you should read the post I was replying to. You just don't understand the point of that no light shot at all. You are missing the point entirely. There is NO WAY your camera (without a tripod on slow shutter) or any cell phone camera could focus or take that shot without a flash.

Also since our cell phone cameras are basically fixed aperture lenses at f2.2 (Relative to there tiny little sensor and lens), very little depth of field unless you are in the correct conditions.

Last edited by K2-Kevin, May 29, 2015
  14. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Update....

Went all in with Peak Design's gear. Just fell for the conviniency of them, just great stuff! Newest addition is the wider Slide strap, really comfortable strap!

Have the PD Clutch on my D750.

Still has my 2 lens combo, a 35mm and a 85mm. Also the SB-900 Speedlight is hanging in there, don't need fancier flash.

Gonna try out the Samsung Note 10,1" tablet, to recieve the photos from the camera and see how that works for showing ppl how it look like. Only jpg's though....

Also the bag is new, gonna try out this "old" bag.... Think Tank Turnstyle 20 and see how it turns out.

[​IMG]

Have some accessories, on the lanyard of the bag, that came with the purchases of PD's gear, have one of those insex on my keychain too, if the screw under the camera would shake loose, though i doubt it will....

Cheers!

15. Judgeless

Judgeless Loaded Pockets

I guess the cell phone that took the pic had a crappy camera on it.

My point is, many pics in the forums look like that. Not all. Some are really good.

16. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Its a forum, highly compressed versions of what otherwise might be a better photo. This is not a photography forum, go there to find art. Here, all I see is cool photos of cool stuff, normally over processed by some in camera filter or HDR, yet still very cool. You are absolutely correct about lighting, that's exactly what a camera is all about... capturing light.

Judges, please don't take anything I'm saying personal. Im in now way attacking you, and certainly don't want it to come off like that. Read a few posts before the one you commented on, might shed some light.

I'm glad you enjoy your smartphone camera. Smartphone photography is huge, and completely took over the point-and-shot compact camera market. Im fairly sure... you aren't saying your smartphone can take better photos then a DSLR, if you think that, you are mistaken. In the right conditions, even with its tiny lens and sensor, a smartphone can take some amazing photos, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. But in ANY conditions a DSLR or Mirrorless camera would completely blow it away, especially if you plain to print that photo, frame that photo, or do anything but share its compressed jpeg version to the web.

Anyone who has a good understanding of how a camera works and the exposure triangle, would know how incredible it is to shoot at such a low shutter speed hand holding the camera (No tripod). Most professional photographers that have trained for years holding a camera still, breathing techniques, body positioning etc. and are unable to get that sharp of a shot with such a low shutter speed. I am no pro, not even close, but the 5-axis in-body image stabilizing system in this new Sony makes this possible. I have shot as low as 1/5 of a second and still no blur.

Based on your posts, looking at this thread, you seem to be into photography. No matter how casual of a photographer you are, I would absolutely recommend looking into it more. It's a pretty cool hobby, especially when you start framing your photos. Even with a smartphone you can accomplish some amazing photos with minimal or no expense.

SMARTPHONE PHOTO TIP: You're out taking photos of your kids baseball game, its sunny, your photos look good. Try taking off your sunglasses and holding them in front of your smartphone camera lens. If you have polarized sunglasses, check out how nice the colors and sky look. You just added a polarizing filter to your smartphone camera.

17. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

Is that Capture Clip system something you've had for a while? How's it holding up? I've seen tons of reviews out of the box but no mention on how it holds up with time. If it's new can you let us know how it hold up after a while?

18. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Only had Peak Design's carry system for 2 weeks.... but i can report after a while how it holds up.

Tornado likes this.
  19. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

Just picked up a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX1/H on the cheap...We'll see how it does.

20. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Since seeing my Sony a7II, we sold all Nikon gear and now wife is using a Sony a6000. Form factor, 11 frames a second and very fast auto-focus. Very nice indeed. I really have a hard time envisioning a future for DSLR, these Mirrorless systems are just that good.