1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Photography nerds? What's your kit?

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by C.Boland93, Oct 3, 2014.

1. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

I haven't had that hard of a time. Depends on how dark I guess. Low light with only a small lamp or tv in the room, I get great performance almost no hunting to find focus, very similar to my D700 and D5300.

2. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Figured I would try a "non scientific low light test" of my own. Just took two photos in Aperture Priority, auto ISO (Below). Both hand holding camera at low shutter speeds, this is what In body stabilization can do with the Sony A7II.

First with only my computer monitor 10 feet away lighting the shot (Its to dark to read paperwork near the camera) (Shutter 1/13 of a sec. ISO 25600.
    [​IMG]

Second: (Dark office) With no lights on at all (handholding at a shutter speed of 1/5 of a second at 25,600 and Exposure+3) used AF Illuminator to get focus, I couldn't see otherwise.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by K2-Kevin, May 27, 2015
    pacrawshaw and bigfoot like this.
  3. Ben Rubinstein

Are we talking about different things? I'm talking about focus accuracy only.

4. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Thought we were talking about low light auto-focus acquiring focus on a single point. In both cases I was focusing on the front pouch corner of bag. Focus was instant in first, took a second or two to lock on my subject. Since bag is black, I expected no focus lock even with illuminator, but it was able to see the white thread I would guess.

5. Ben Rubinstein

Ah ok, question is how fast it is in comparison. My A7r in even moderately low light is both slow and hunts. :(

6. Ben Rubinstein

To give an example of focus weirdness, this was shot at golden light, should have been loads of light, the focus missed in half the shots. Small focus point right on her head. Can't quite work out why it was playing up.

[​IMG]

7. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

I can't see anything in focus, might be the image is cpressed and I'm looking on iPad right now. What are your AF settings? Also, have you tried DMF focus mode?

8. TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY Loaded Pockets

I will give you the battery snap count. I can get about 700 shots on my EM1. But if I buy the Olympus battery grip I can match your count and still be significantly lighter and smaller then a the old fashion style DSLR.

But you can focus anywhere on the screen. Not where the focus sensor tells you. You can use the face focus feature and it will focus on a face where ever that face is, even in the far corners. Much better then any conventional focus point would be on a standard old fashioned DSLR. Since old fashioned DSLR's have stopped using focusable screens years ago, unless you get a KATZ EYE installed you can't go manual with precision and this makes the new mirrorless DSLR far superior in this category.

Superior multi aspect ratio also over the old DSRL. M4/3 you can pick 1:1, 3:2, 4:3 and 16:9.

Despite what is said the M4/3 cameras have fantastic lens line up and affordable and specially there primes. And not to mention a adapter that gives them full function of the 4/3 lenses which in clarity output put all the other big camera names to shame. And good luck finding a quality lens from Nikon in the f/2.8 range for the G series primes in the APS-C format.

9. Ben Rubinstein

It's still a mini format though which cannot compete with DSLR sized sensors. (If this was a photo forum that comment would have been the shot which started the world war :p)

C.Boland93 and TRUE LIBERTY like this.
  10. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Oh, why not, I'll wade in with both feet... :cool:

IMHO, I think Canon and Nikon are just holding out until the last second, not wanting to rob their existing DSLR product lines of any sales. Heck, they probably already have a mirrorless solution with an EVF waiting in the wings. They can do this because they are the big players right now with lots of capital, have plenty of lenses available, accessories, big user base, etc. But... as we saw with RIM / BlackBerry, sometimes the giants get overconfident. The bigger they are, the harder they tend to fall.

Personally, I've tried going back to DSLRs and it's always an exercise in frustration. Unless you shoot sports or action, there doesn't seem to be a huge benefit. When you have cameras like the Sony NEX and Fuji X series (amongst others), cramming an APS-C sensor into small mirrorless bodies, it's hard to walk away. I can't get focus peaking on a DSLR, it's hard to focus manually with any precision, and the PDAF always seems woefully inaccurate compared to CDAF / live view. Sony's translucent mirror technology is a real interesting approach -- seems to blend the best of both worlds. (Not that we necessarily even *need* a mirror once there is an EVF.)

Anyway, my $0.02 FWIW. Don't spend it all in one place. ;)

K2-Kevin likes this.
  11. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

I personally moved away from DSLR's because of the smaller form factor of mirrorless systems. Huge bodies, lenses, sensors and lightning quick autofocus in complete darkness was something I was willing to trade for a lighter compact setup. I also possess the extra ordinary ability to carry extra batteries so battery life ins't a big deal for me. :p

Ben Rubinstein, didn't the A7R have the slower/crappier autofocus system of the duo (A7, A7R)? So you effectively chose resolution instead of autofocus speed, right?

12. Ben Rubinstein

Slower not less accurate. More accurate if anything. The Phase Detect Autofocus of the A7 only works for tracking focus, not for regular focus so it wouldn't make any difference for the kind of thing I do anyway. Phase Detect is faster but not as accurate. Well technically.

bigfoot and Tornado like this.
  13. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

Thanks, good to know. Been eyeing those fullframe Sony mirrorless wonders since launch, but getting one would mean new set of lenses also, and that's not going to happen in the near future.

14. Ben Rubinstein

The lenses are far from cheap :) You can use Canon lenses but the focus is glacial, ultra wide angles have flare problems and they are simply too big for the camera. You can use regular Sony/Minolta lenses with the phase detect adaptor but it's rather bulky. Both these adaptors are expensive too. Then you have the world of manual focus. The camera is somewhat nice to use for manual focus (I believe Fuji's implementation of zoom to focus is far superior and faster to use though) but you do have the problem of finding focus when you are stopped down on manual lenses. Finding the sweet spot from f2.8 is difficult and it's very hard to achieve accuracy. You end up focusing wide open then stopping down to shoot. It's ok but it's not fast.

The FE lenses are interesting. They are not all that small and in general are considerably more expensive than their C/N counterparts. Some are fantastic, some are mediocre.

I'm personally using my camera as I used a medium format system in the past. Slow, precise, careful and with unbelievable results when you put the work into it. There are better mirrorless system around should you want a street/travel camera however (Fuji) and I still believe that a full frame DSLR with the pelethora of lenses, fast responses and tightly integrated system is at present, still a better studio/portraiture/wedding/reportage solution for most.

Tornado likes this.
  15. TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY Loaded Pockets

Have to disagree again. M4/3 DSLR's in the EM1 smokes say the NIKON 7100 in shutter speed because it does not require a clunky mirror. And despite the misinformation you can easily track a object at high speed. The DPREVIEW website that is the reigning king in reviews and I quote 'Raw noise levels look comparable to that of the Canon EOS 70D, with perhaps more masking in the red channel from the EM-1.Noise levels appear to be similar until ISO 6400.' As much as I still appreciate the the DSLR with the mirror system it is a walking dead system. Even I fought going to the mirror less system for quite some time.

16. Ben Rubinstein

Noise is only a small part of the equation, there is still dynamic range, colour fidelity, tonality and file robustness but even if 4/3 can just match Canon's APC sensor designs which haven't had a real overhaul in almost a decade, that isn't exactly something to be impressed with. Compare to the Sony sensors in Nikon, Pentax or Sony and then tell me how good it is. DSLR's are moving further and further towards full frame anyway at which point the 4/3 is left for dust. For every innovation in image quality which 4/3 can find, the larger sensors are increasing in quality at the same rate. Even with that I doubt 4/3 has many more megapixels to give the world.

The EM1 'smokes' the Nikon D7100's shutter speed? No it doesn't, they both max out at 1/8000. Or did you mean shutter rate? The proper terminology does matter actually, those are very different things. It's a 16 megapixel sensor vs a 24 megapixel sensor. The EM1 couldn't begin to push the extra data through at that speed. Yes a motorbike can accelerate faster than a car but it won't carry the heavy grunt work and let's be frank only sports/PJ photographers need more than 5fps anyway, the D7100 has far more where it counts for most photographers. That same DPReview you quote was far from impressed with the autofocus of the EM1. Here is their 'misinformation'. 'The way we see it is this: if you're a Four Thirds lens owner and hoping for contemporary DSLR performance, you're going to be disappointed.'
    Oh and if you think you're getting 10fps with autofocus, uh no. It slows down as per their review when trying to follow focus. They were only getting 4fps.

The DSLR is as much a walking dead as a 30 year old man. Yes he will die and from now on it may be down hill but he's at the very prime of his life and his capabilities in almost every way.

17. Judgeless

Judgeless Loaded Pockets

Here is a pic of my camera rig. It takes pictures better than 99% of the pictures I see in these forums. And it shoots 4K video at 30FPS. I have a 128GB micro SDXC card in it. It lives in my pocket and is a huge part of my Every Day Carry

[​IMG]

LilleBror likes this.
  18. Judgeless

Judgeless Loaded Pockets

Shot with a high end camera
    Shot with my cell phone with default settings.

[​IMG]

19. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

yea, the "high end camera" pic that is all noisy, was shot without flash in a scene 7 stops darker than yours (thats 1/64 the light, so if yours was shot with 1000lumens of light bouncing around - the "high end camera" did it with 8ish lumens - or in this case, the light from a computer monitor - enough to make it hard to read, your phone wouldn't be able to do it)

comparing like for like (both at the same settings) the high end camera will crap all over your phone.
    the phone is easy to carry though - i use mine a lot too, as its always with me for quick snaps - but i much rather using a real camera with some proper controls.

K2-Kevin likes this.
  20. Judgeless

Judgeless Loaded Pockets

My pic was shot without a flash also. It was shot in my home office with typical ambient light in the room. It looks like the high end camera pic was also taken in an office environment.