1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

any one get jokes cracked about there bag

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by pmeowned, Oct 29, 2008.

1. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

Everyone who has ever made fun of my bag ends up getting their buts saved by whats in it. They soon change what they say. :laugh:

2. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

I preempt such tomfoolery by refering to it as 'my purse'.

3. callmekipling

callmekipling Empty Pockets

I've been a student for quite some time, so rarely am I without the bag. I guess I haven't yet moved to a point in my life where the bag isn't entirely appropriate ;D

But this one time, on a fraternity bus trip, I was reading by flashlight when someone dropped something. So they asked for my flashlight, which I provided them, and promptly employed my backup (a sort of funny but not related story that was, I ended up buying one and getting a second for free quite unintentionally.)

Light borrower said, "Wow, you packed a spare?"
    Someone else (it was dark) remarked, "Yeah - [kipling]'s a little scary til you get to know him. He's got all sorts of stuff."

4. stilus

stilus Empty Pockets

Friends often ask me, if there comes out a parachute of my backpack (Maxpedition Falcon II), if i pull a strap, or a self-inflatable tent... ;D

5. Splusmer

Splusmer Empty Pockets

I've got a toddler who is currently in to "Dora the Explorer" and "Go, Diego, Go". Both lead characters have a pack of some sort, Dora a backpack (he calls her "Packpack!" as often as Dora) and Diego a sling pack known as the Rescue Pack. That pack has its own little song (my son dances to it), and it is just like your friends describe--pull a cord, and it'll reconfigure to whatever rescue thing Diego needs to solve his problem--hang glider, raft, zip line, ladder, etc., etc.... *sigh* Too bad it's a cartoon! (the Rescue Pack themesong could almost become and unofficial EDC themesong....)

6. dr. fiehlgood

dr. fiehlgood Loaded Pockets

My coworkers used to always comment on how big my bag is. (It's an Arc'Teryx Bora 40 daypack). Usually something along the lines of "are you spending the night at the office?" or "Going camping after work?"

But I don't know how many times they have been unprepared in the field and the stuff in my bag saved a trip to the hardware store or back to the office to pick up some forgotten item. I am usually the only person actually prepared for the unexpected around here. But I don't rub it in. :laugh:

So needless to say most of the jokes have stopped...

7. wmcamp0

wmcamp0 Loaded Pockets

The looks and questions i get normally come from the rotating number of patches on my FAST pack EDC. Then again, people that know love the ever present CLUTCH patch.

8. pmeowned

pmeowned Empty Pockets

thanks for the replies guys some of these are pretty funny :lolhammer:

9. Cgalvan2003

Cgalvan2003 Empty Pockets

No jokes at all. Most of the people at work think it kicks butt!! They kind of freak out when they find out how much it cost. But in the end I am sort of the guy they ask for help when they need something.

10. 1wrx7

1wrx7 Loaded Pockets

I EDC a Max Jumbo. I started calling it my murse immediately to get the joking out of the way. It didn't take too long before the jokes stopped. Then came the " Hey Keith, do you have......... with you.

It got to the point where I keep spares of the most commonly asked for items in my toolbox so I don't have to loan out my EDC items. When a coworker handed me my modded surefire back with epoxy resin on it that was the final straw :mad:

The women in the office at my fathers nursing home asked me if I had a bomb in there once :lolhammer:

11. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I always call my colossus my purse. I tried to call my fatboy my jump bag or go bag, but everybody called it my purse or "fag bag".....so I just started calling it my purse and eventually the jokes died down. Wasn't funny if I could laugh at it or worse, prempt the derogatory remarks.

-Bill Liptak

12. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

I carry a suitcase,actually a messenger bag, or at least that's what my boss calls it.
    The first day he saw it he asked, "What are you doing running away from home or something?"

After explaining "my suitcase" contained rain gear and another uniform plus a few odds and ends, he doesn't look at it so strangely.

13. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

The boyfriend of one of my work colleagues admired my Last Resort last night by exclaiming "Wow! Thats a VERY organised-looking bag"
    Bear in mind that my bag is covered in patches, has a Sigg retro bottle in each of the end-pockets & a solar-powered LED mini-light on each of the end-pocket retaining straps. Oh, yeah. I have a Tritium glowring on each of the shoulder strap D-rings, too.

I told him it was my "Bag of Tricksl" & they both just laughed.

14. pmeowned

pmeowned Empty Pockets

the worst i've been called is bag boy but that didn't last long :evil:

15. NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo Loaded Pockets

My girlfriend has called it a man purse on occasion but other than that no one has really said anything but that could be due to the fact that I'm 6'6" 265

16. frankinaug

frankinaug Loaded Pockets

Yep the wife jokes about it a fair amount, it doesn't really bother me. She never cares when something pops out of it that she needs.

17. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

My wife wonders when I'll be happy with a bag. I have probably gone through 8 in the last year, and I have 2 sitting at home I need to sel(or trade)l. :)

18. RSRFla

RSRFla Loaded Pockets

I usually get the 'purse' or 'man bag' comments but lately I have been getting a lot of "going camping?" comments. I can take the comments well as I have a good sense of humor and the sense of security that the contents of my bag gives me. I currently carry the Maxped Malaga but that is subject to change when the "next best thing" comes out.

19. Ghillie

Ghillie Loaded Pockets

1. I carried a leather Tumi shoulder bag to a meeting with a government executive in the '90s. the meeting turned into a job interview. Later, I stopped at the man's room on the way out. The Exec walked up to the urinal next to me and told me that, if I was a woman and he saw me in a bar, he would pick me up because I must have enough stuff in that bag to spend the night...

2. In Sunny South America, I went out one evening with a bucch or working guys. I had my current bag with the normal stuff. The four other guys had "fag bags" as they called them, too. They were all a lot heavier than mine and sat on top of the table through dinner... And I saw a lot of other tables with similar bags...

3. An attractive Army Captain took a seat next to me in the DFAC in the Republican Palace, Baghdad in 2004. She took off a fanny pack and it *clunked* on to the table before she sat down. I suggested that the contents were probably not her compact and lip stick. Her response was that, If I didn't think that was a sexest remark, what color was the sky in my world?...

4. Last week someone knocked on my office door in the Consulate and asked if I had a knife. I had to ask why they chose to ask me, and they replied that the Marine Guard suggested that they check with me since I must be carrying something in that Belstaff bag...

20. fshalor

fshalor Loaded Pockets

I've thought about using one of the County Comm eod bags as a "murse"/edc for work stuff. I have a pair of them that hold most of my tools and gizmos for field stuff. Have no quams about tossing them over the shoulder for serious work, but can't seem to make the move to try them our for day to day stuff because of the size and carry similarity to a purse.

It gives me an excuse to carry a bit more, since I keep to a backpack instead.

Have had a few "oh, sure wish I had a ..." sessions with friends and family, where I was able to produce what they needed or wanted from my edc kit. My current trend though is to stop sharing. Mostly because they started to get complacent. "Oh, fshalor will have a flashlight; cool, one less thing for me to bring." (I always have 2.)

One of my favorites was walking around a ren fest with some friends and my wife while visiting with them. I'd delayed us by about 2 minutes, making sure I'd had my bag ready. As we were walking from the car to the festival, someone had commented "why are you carrying that backpack?". I'd showed up with a hat on head and another in the bag intending on taking some pictures through the day. One hat ended up on my wife (I'd really brought it for her, cause I knew she'd need it.) Couldn't get the balding buddy to put on sunscreen, so he ended up with my other hat... which then went to his wife about 20 minutes later. The pair of water bottles were used communally, and I also had one naturevalley or similar bar for everyone, which got us through to lunch.

It was a good trip, and I felt like my quickly prepared redtail had made the day a bit more bearable. Took a few hundred pictures, some of them quite good, even though I skipped the monopod at the last minute.