1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any news on Atomic Radio signal?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by bryan123, Nov 26, 2018.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

There have been ramblings about budget cuts shutting down the radio signal that our watches use to set the correct time. Any recent news about this? My Oceanus and I would like to know. Thanks.

2. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I don't know if they could do this---since so many instruments are now calibrated to it's signal...???

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

LOL. Since when did anyone saying '... I don't know if they could do this...' stop the Con Artist in Chief?

For what its worth @bryan123: my two G-shocks that use the Atomic Radio signal are still receiving it. Hope this continues!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

YankeeHotelFoxtrot and bryan123 like this.
  4. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

Well you are truly right on that one----can't argue with that!!!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I see a post-apocalyptic movie coming out of this: "The Land That Forgot Time"--starring John Cameron Swayze (if you got the reference, send me 10% of your SS check;))

6. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

The latest I heard is that the signal will be stopped at the end of the year.

7. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Where did you "hear" it? I know it's been rumored due to budget cuts, but I've read nothing definite.

8. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

It seems that WWVB, the station that broadcasts the time signal (there are actually 3 stations), is not specifically addressed in the budget proposal, leading some to speculate that it is not at risk. However, Congress will have the final say on the proposed budget cuts, anyway. I don't guess we'll have too long to wait...I think a lot of the public would be negative to this particular budget proposal if they knew it could impact their everyday lives.

9. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Methinks some out of the box thinking is needed. For example, maybe some private sector or even non-profit group to take it up to operate said stations. I think it would be neat if a veteran's group, especially one comprised of former techs from, say, the US Navy...

Why especially US Navy veterans? In my manufacturing and consulting days, we knew a plant was especially well cared for if the electronics and calibration techs were US Navy veterans. Think about it. Unlike say Army or Air Force, techs from the Navy KNEW how to take care of things and improvise... after all, if you're on a ship in the middle of the ocean you don't just send down the street to the nearest Radio Shack or industrial supply house for parts...! :)

Any veterans on here connected to a group?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  11. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

From the Army perspective, there's not much around Northern Syria either.. ;)

MCPOWoller and Moshe ben David like this.
  12. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

Bravo on your initial comments, Moshe Ben David!

13. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

NIST’s full Fiscal Year (FY) 2019 budget request to Congress calls for the agency to “discontinue the dissemination of the US time and frequency via the NIST radio stations in Hawaii and Fort Collins, Colorado.” The agency noted, “These radio stations transmit signals that are used to synchronize consumer electronic products like wall clocks, clock radios, and wristwatches, and may be used in other applications like appliances, cameras, and irrigation controllers.” The specific cut, which would come from the NIST Fundamental Measurement, Quantum Science, and Measurement Dissemination budget, would amount to $6.3 million.