1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any MT's other than SOG that have compound leverage feature?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Balog, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Balog

Balog Loaded Pockets

I love compound leverage in clamping tools, I have a pair of lineman's pliers with the feature and they're fantastic! I'm buying a new multi-tool for work, and I'd like to have CL if possible. But the only brand I know that offers it is SOG, and the "you have to unfold the pliers to get to all the tools" thing is a total dealbreaker for me. Any thoughts?

2. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

The compound leverage method that SOG uses, which is the best option for a conventional multi-tool, is patented, and the patent is controlled by SOG. Until that patent expires, SOG is the only option for that method of compound leverage. With a fixed-pliers mechanism, you could have a different enough mechanism to avoid any patent infringement issues, but there's always the possibility that SOG will not like someone else with compound leverage for copyright and marketing- also, fixed pliers tools have historically been decent as pliers but not as good as actual pliers, and the rest of the tools have suffered because of the good pliers. Outside opening tools is an option, but SOG has apparently not been keen on pushing one out as yet.

SOG pliers are really nice for multi-tool pliers. Maybe having to flip the tool open is worth it if you want those pliers.

3. loneslinger

loneslinger Loaded Pockets

Have a look at the SOG PowerPlay . It has outside accesible blades, bottle and can openers -both with flathead screwdrivers - and phillips screwdriver.

I haven´t handled it so can´t vouch for quality but the design is interesting.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

They are pretty nice but oddly enough this set is Labeled by Paladin Tools and has some Paladin only tools on it and I have another that is Eddie Bauer labeled.

So they clearly also sell then to the O.E.M. channel as well as under the SOG brand.

Interesting.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. loneslinger

loneslinger Loaded Pockets

Nice tool, EZDog , but your Paladin, being closely based on the SOG PowerLock lacks the "outside opening" feature Balog was looking for.

You can look for the PowerPlay I was meaning it in SOG´s page, it appears as new for 2016.

I´ve eyeing it but I haven´t pulled the trigger because I don´t know if the components are swappable as in the PPP or PowerLock -I have one of each , both
    knife and awl-less, a great advantage in a knife-frowning country.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I hear you I was just showing that the SOG line is deeper and has more options than are obvious if just looking on the surface.

The original SOG tools are also easily repaired and customized by anyone which is another unique attribute of the line.

I am a little surprised that we haven't seen tools yet that have more Knipex style jaws,I think that would be a handy difference if anyone could fins=d a decent way to implement them into a MT.