1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Love Like Mine for the MicroStream?!?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Freddo4J, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Freddo4J

Freddo4J Loaded Pockets

After starting the thread I've been checking back in to see what people thought. Interesting and I would check out the Protac but I too don't like having to switch through a ton of clicks to get the brightness I want. My finger does the job. I have not had mine ever fall out of pocket. IT sees more use than my EDC know which surprised me after my light and knife became a "full time" EDC for me. If I needed more light, I'd carry a larger one. This is a "small" great EDC for me personally. I have another light that lives in my TNF Surge that has modes and much brighter. If needed , it's at the ready. Thanks to "all" for joining in on this thread!

keith1234 and ManVsLawn like this.
  2. iangineer

iangineer Loaded Pockets

Really liked the MicroStream, but I love the Stylus Pro! I have large hands to I was always accidentally covering the tip of the MicroStream and it felt too tiny. It was also so short that it would ride up my pocket and fall out. I decided to try a Stylus Pro and I love it, put the MicroStream in the diaper bag as a backup.

I carry the Stylus Pro every single day and have never noticed any sort of battery drain. As far as I can tell, the switch mechanism is identical to the MicroStream. I can swap tail ends and not skip a beat. I run eneloop rechargeables in it. It's also never fallen out of my pocket since now if it does ride up and the clip slides off my pocket, the light falls back into my pocket instead of tipping out like the MicroStream tended to do. I never lost the MicroStream, but mostly because I was lucky enough to hear it fall or see it before walking away.

Stylus Pro is even brighter than the MicroStream, but like someone else said, if I need less light I just aim it at my body or use a finger to diffuse/block the light. Nothing better than having instant on with a touch of the button.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  3. iangineer

iangineer Loaded Pockets

Still though, a MicroStream and a Swiss Army knife or small folder like an Ontario Rat 2 are a killer combo for gifting under $50.

GatorMedic, Sriracha and ManVsLawn like this.
  4. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I saw two gentlemen working at the indoor range with microstreams clipped in their pockets.

Popular little light. Given a handful for gifts and I still carry mine on super light duty days or as a backup

GatorMedic and WheelgunBob like this.
  5. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

Ah, another Rat-2 lover. Been carrying mine since I got it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

GatorMedic and ManVsLawn like this.
  6. iangineer

iangineer Loaded Pockets

Funny enough, I also moved up to a Rat-1 because of the big hands thing. My pinky just had nowhere to go on the model 2. It's a shame, because I think the model 1 is just too big for EDC and is a bit frightening to some in the city. In my hand, it looks proportional, but it's a big knife.

Anymore, I EDC my Stylus Pro and my Leatherman Wingman/Sidekick hybrid.

7. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Which model battery (I see at least two different Ultrafires in this size 500mah and 600mah) and charger are you using? I have been debating on adding one of these to my kit.. Thanks!!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  8. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Nitecore D2 smart Charger 2015 version with LCD display

4PCS AAA 10440 600mAh 3.7V TrustFire Rechargeable Lithium Battery with PCB Protected Board

Both can be found on a South American River site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn and FL Woods Bum like this.
  9. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Preach it brother! This is what I have been posting since the dawn of time every "basic edc" or "Amazon gift card" post. Micro stream, Vic Climber, OHO knife.

10. chas353
    • In Omnia Paratus

chas353 Loaded Pockets

Love my MicroStream carry it every day, plus I also carry the Stylus Pro use both at work daily. Started having an issue with MicroStream when I change battery have to have the end cap just right or it doesnt work. Haven't figured out what it is but once I get it right no more problem.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  11. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Thank you Sir!

ManVsLawn and Il Duce like this.
  12. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

It has a lifetime warranty. Send it to Streamlight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn likes this.
  13. Leatherman

Leatherman Loaded Pockets

Still searching for a better light than the MS (currently ive lost all of them:()

Got the lumintop tool on recommendation and despise the reverse clicky.
    Seems under-powered or too floody for my taste. Do like the size. Don't think the clip will last.

I beat on a Pelican 1910 for a while and its a really nice light, little big for a AAA.
    Rubber button cover came of the tailcap making it hard to use. Pelican customer service wanted me to pay to send it in :rolleyes: Instead of just sending me a cap. Clip is hard to get on pants.

Tried the 5.11 Atac and its seems well built. Really dim and yellow light tho. Nice clip.

Maglite LED solitaire - really inconsistent twisty head (I hate twisty anyway) Basically just frustrating to use. No clip sucks.

Think im going to try the Thrunite Ti5 next. I think im finding that I dont care for multiple modes tho...

The search continues. The struggle is real ;)

Last edited by Leatherman, Dec 30, 2015
    hal_chase likes this.
  14. chas353
    • In Omnia Paratus

chas353 Loaded Pockets

I switch the ends just to see what would happen and they both work just fine with no problems. I've used both at work on and off all night.

15. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

If I have problems with a light I give it a good cleaning, use some De-oxit, and re-lube the threads. That seems to cure most problems.

One of my MS's gets a little wonky every now and then but a straight outta Compton fix works every time - I give it a good solid rap against the heel of my hand (even an old guy like me likes a little NWA now and then).

Can't always teach old dogs new tricks but they still know how to bite.

chas353 likes this.
  16. Foxfire

Foxfire Loaded Pockets

I have had one since 2014 and it has served me well. EDC it in my pocket with a Alox SAK Bushcrafter.

John F. likes this.
  17. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

I carry one almost daily. I have others that rotate in from time to time, but this one is my favorite. It is simple and bright enough for my purposes. If I need more light, I do have a 3 x AAA in my bag, but mostly that one just gets used to find other stuff in my bag.

Sent from an alternate dimension using Talkatap

hal_chase likes this.
  18. Leatherman

Leatherman Loaded Pockets

I just bought yet another Microstream and noticed they now come with a serial number and build date on the body. Its also slightly longer than the other micro I have.

Maybe everyone knew that, but I found it interesting.

Also no longer come with an extra rubber cap cover.

Last edited by Leatherman, Jan 18, 2016
    John F., GatorMedic and hal_chase like this.
  19. jlawson382

jlawson382 Loaded Pockets

I love mine, but I somehow managed to pop the clip off and lose it. Clips are cheaper than shipping everywhere I've found one, so for now the light rides in the console of the Jeep, and I'm back to using my phone for random illumination.

hal_chase likes this.
  20. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

Great little light, carried one daily as a backup for ages....recently it's been bumped in favour of a Titan-B

Lovingly transmitted by Nexus 6 Marshmallow Droid