1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any G-Shock guys here? ...

Discussion in 'Watches' started by speedmaster, May 24, 2010.

1. pseep

pseep Loaded Pockets

I think that one above is some variant of the G23xx series with reverse display. I recently obtained a G2300b with stock pull-thru strap adapters and standard display and love it.

Edit : took me to long to post using my phone :)

2. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

http://www.recta.ch/en/clipper

I have been using one of these ones which seems to do the job nicely.

3. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure if it counts, but my current daily wear watch is a Casio DW-1000 on a black Zulu 4 ring band. It was gifted to me by my Father-In-Law who no longer wore it. My only true G-shock was a WW-5100C that I sold a couple of years ago. I forgot I had it and pulled it out of a drawer one day. It was missing all of the rubber and one screw was broken, but it was still keepng time. I thought to fix it up and was surprised to find out how much it was worth. I sold it to pay some bills.

One feature of the DW-1000 I would have a hard time giving up is the hourly AND half hourly chime. It chimes twice on the hour and once on the half hour. I would miss that on any other watch, UNLESS I could find a wristwatch that would chime ships watches.

The only thing I miss on the DW-1000 that I wish it had is a second time zone. I hear the DW-1500 had one, but I'm not sure if it had the same chime scheme.

4. pseep

pseep Loaded Pockets

Now I am sporting my G2300b-1v that I mentioned in an earlier post. A couple of days ago I had posted a pic of a seiko that I was wearing in the "whatcha wearing" thread, but my wife commandeered it.
    I didn't like the stock velcro strap, so I replaced it with a velcro double strap.
    [​IMG]

5. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

That's a nice strap! I'm not a fan of rubber straps and I didn't know there were nylon G-Shock straps. Do you have to use those special strap connectors to attach them?

6. Bas and Lokes Straps

Bas and Lokes Straps Empty Pockets

Hi everyone,

Here is my new tactical looking G shock. I finally got some half decent photos of it on my wrist. I also attached a little compass to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Bas

7. brianch

brianch Empty Pockets

8. pseep

pseep Loaded Pockets

This watch, the G2300b-1v comes stock with the adapters. There are a several other gshock models that also sport the adapters and use nylon straps as well. A few places sell strap adapters, I think I have seen them at countycomm and westcoasttime.

9. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Ok, im going to throw a question out to see if anyone knows,,, the older Casio with the wire gaurd that went over the face was in the DW6900 series,,, does it fit the newer GW-6900? i looked up the measurements, and the only diff is the thickness, 53.2 x 50.0 x 16.3mm with bar, 53.2 x 50.0 x 17.7, newer, so 1.4mm diff, so that could be the back plate, not where it hooks on to? I did find a place to get them, but there out of stock at the moment, $4.00 + $6.00 shipping... so im just seeing if anyone knows, cause im thinking of getting one so long as it fits,,, JR

10. pcsheriff1

pcsheriff1 Loaded Pockets

Got a big ol honkin MIB Frogman. I can only wear with short sleeves as I cant button a sleeve over it. I love mine...

11. Steverino

Steverino Loaded Pockets

that ... is badazzz...

12. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

A word on G-Shock. I have had several G-Shock watches in my day, some early model I can't recall, than stepped up to Mudman! The Mudman was an excellent watch! I managed to loose my first one in an altercation and replaced it straight away with the same model. The mud man therefore became my EDC watch for quite some time, putting my Luminox (with its scratched face) to the shelf and I had/have a Wenger Mountain Commando as my hold out, "wearing a suit" watch. So, one day the battery dies on my Mudman and the Luminox goes back on my wrist. In less than a week I managed to shatter the already scratched Luminox crystal so I am off to the watch store that very same day, Mudman in hand, for a new battery. The watch store person tells me that they can change out the battery but cannot "repressureize" the seal so it will no longer be water resistant to the degree that it was originally. Faced with a shattered Luminox and no other option than my Wenger that I had been trying to keep "clean", I decided to tell the watch man to do what they do. It wasn't the deep sea water resistance that I was hooked on, it was the fact that the Mudman was the only watch to date that I had not managed to destroy or scratch. I got the watch back but something wasn't feeling right about it on my wrist. When I got home I discovered that these fools at the watch store had no idea how to put the thing back together after having taken it apart. I WISH I HAD TAKEN PHOTOS, but I didn't. Instead I tried to remedy the situation myself. In the process I discovered that they had bent a few of the components trying to make them fit... I was furious to say the least. So, I took the Mudman entirely apart and put it back together properly. Only the functions of the watch had gone to hell somehow, perhaps previously and I hadn't noticed, or perhaps I managed to screw them up myself. Long story short I got my money back for the battery change but that didn't change the fact that I now had a non functional POS watch as opposed to my previously incredible Mudman. My word to the wise in regards to G-Shock is, if you are going to by a G-Shock, buy a solar powered model!

13. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

Though I can imagine your pain, a Tough Solar will not avoid this, since one day you will have to change the battery in it too. It may take over a decade or even two decades, but the day will come when you will have to do it. Even so, you would have to change the seals even before replacing the rechargeable battery if you want to be sure that it's still 200 m resistant.

14. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

If there is a thing I truly believe, it is that NO WATCH would last that long on MY wrist. I have a tendency to destroy watches. This makes the G-Shock a good option, just saying that changing the battery can be more of a hassle that one might anticipate!

15. theotherphil

theotherphil Loaded Pockets

Replacing the battery is actually pretty simple. I am no watch expert but stripped my GW-7900B1 right down and rebuilt again for a hydro conversion (ie, straps off, bezel off, case opened, seal removed, module removed)....done in under 30 minutes and it was the first time I had ever opened a GShock. The Mudman is also pretty similar and there is no way anybody with an ounce of sense could have messed it up. I feel your pain FreestyleAssassin.

With regards to waterproofness, the watch isn't pressurised internally. What they mean is that they can't actually test it's waterprooofness using a pressure test as they don't have that equipment. If you open your watch and the seal is in good condition, there is no reason that it shouldn't perform exactly as it did previous to changing the battery. It's exactly the same principle as changing the battery in your torch...as long as the O ring is in good condition, then it should retain it's water resistance following battery change.

wanderer16 likes this.
  16. Marlinaholic

Marlinaholic Loaded Pockets

The addiction continues:

[​IMG]

As far as replacing the battery or solar storage cell, it's really not that bad, just involved. If the gasket is in good shape, just grease it with dielectric silicone grease (available at any auto parts store) before you seal it back up. If the gasket is shot or you just want to be careful, order a new one from American Perfit for $5. Make sure you are installing the correct battery for the model and "reset" the "brain" of the watch with a pair of steel tweezers before you seal it back up. And for goodness sake, DON'T turn the watch over once the back is off, there are one or two or three little gold springs that will fall out and your watch won't beep or the solar cell won't charge if you lose them. When you tighten the back screws, alternate and do it slowly so the back seats down evenly and she'll be as waterproof as new. I actually don't trust most watch places to do all this correctly, as it's a bit more involved than just chucking a new battery in a $20 Timex, so I learned to do it myself and despite rough swimming, my watches haven't leaked at all. Casio will do the job properly, but it runs something like $30 I think, and I only paid $20+ for some of my G-shocks, so doing it at home is the way to go if you can. You'll need proper small phillips screw drivers though, or a case back remover if you have an old screw back G. Try to do it in a low humidity environment too, as that will prevent fogging of the watch later on during temp changes. And don't even attempt it without a proper spring bar tool to get the band off and out of the way. Study the band connections too, some G's are quite complex when it comes to getting that band off, steel covers and such.

17. kz1000s1

kz1000s1 Loaded Pockets

I've had a GW5600J-1 for some time after having a few other models. Then I read this thread and it made me
    go on a G spree. I ordered a G9000MS-1 Mudman which just arrived. While I was waiting for it i got a
    DW9052 locally. I should be satisfied for little while now. Now my Orange Monster isn't getting it's usual
    wrist time!

18. ACHË

ACHË Loaded Pockets

Wow, I missed this thread.

I'm a G-Shock guy.....I guess....

This is my current EDC

[​IMG]

I have these two others on order; both G-Shocks

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

By the looks of it I'll be ordering more...These timepieces are awesome..

*Next up will be the Orange letter/background Mudman G-9000MX-8DR and one of the Military black display models*

19. ZoomFlight15

ZoomFlight15 Loaded Pockets

My G-Family:

[​IMG]