1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any former cigarette smokers?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by straightpuke, Apr 9, 2012.

1. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

I "quit" cold turkey about ten times before I was actually able to "quit". It is not an easy task, but it is possible. The cravings used to come all the time until I came down with a crazy bad case of pneumonia a few years back. Ever since then, I have not had cravings. Take my advice and stay away from any psych drugs to stop smoking. They can be quite harmful if you have any history of depression or anxiety but have not been diagnosed. Primary care doctors should not be giving any mental health drugs and should refer you immediately to a mental health physician. I personally smoked for about 13-14 years. The smell of smoke on someone to me now a days is gross. I still go to bars where smoking is permitted by law (small amount of food sales). I don't complain second hand smoke even though I absolutely hate it. I don't allow anyone to smoke in my home or any of my vehicles. I laugh when I see people standing in the rain or freezing cold weather having a smoke and remember when I did that. I can't stand when people smoke right in front of public entrances and am glad smoking in public places was banned here in Pennsylvania. It actually helped me to quit.

DBR likes this.
  2. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

The first time I quit back in 1995, I used the patch for one day. Next day, I had a rash there and I was like, "Don't make no sense getting skin cancer trying to stop lung cancer!" So, I didn't use the patch anymore and I quit for three years that time.

Can't say that I disagree with anything you said, I feel the same way. Even when I went back to smoking I was very careful about not blowing smoke on myself, not blowing smoke in my vehicle and everything like that because it really does stink. Every time after I went back smoking I could always tell when someone smoked in their house, their car or didn't care where the smoke went because you could smell it on them. I never went the extremist route and became a lunatron about it though. Some people do.

3. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

I have always heard "there is nothing worse than a reformed smoker." Never gave it a thought until I actually quit. This is so true. In part though, some people's reactions are based on fear. The fear of smoking again. The fear of having to quit/detox/fight cravings again. I think anyone out there who has quit went through a battle/struggle they wish to never go through again. Although I do get a bit annoyed and want to tell someone to get off their high horse, I have to remember what I went through may not have been the same experience as others.

kertap75 likes this.
  4. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

5. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I wonder how much, if any, they really get? I mean, the government or some think tank could tell us anything and I wouldn't believe it. I'm at the point in my life that I don't believe anything they say or their spokesheads.

6. Primed

Primed Loaded Pockets

I hate to think of how much alcohol or gas will be if and when that does happen...​

7. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Well, if they mean what they say...it will be terrible, no doubt. Perhaps that is why States like Maryland are pushing so hard for an increase in the gasoline tax - which will then turn into a tax on food and everything else that arrives via gasoline or diesel, right? Because those companies won't pay for the increased transportation costs, they pass that on to us so we essentially get quintuple taxed all the time, forget about double or triple dipping. Hahaha! Maryland has taxed the snot out of cigarettes for years and it has only worsened. Same on the federal end of things...a lot of people quit. People tried to tell liberals in Maryland that it was the law of diminishing returns but they wouldn't listen now they are going to claim some type of "crisis" because of this as well. They always do. Crisis creators. Create the problem in the first place, offer the solution to the problem which is never less government interference or taxation, and on we go. :)

8. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

i smoked for ten years and quit about 3 years ago

i used the patch for a few days but then just stopped it. once you realize you really want to quit, then it's not as hard. try and stay away from people who smoke etc for the first few weeks until you can resist the temptation, also youll realize how nasty it smells :)

DBR likes this.
  9. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

"What does Marcellus Wallace, look like?"

10. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Haven't smoked in... 6-7 years. I stopped hanging out with the friends I smoked with and didn't feel like continuing.

11. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

give Chantix a try again, stay away from your smoking triggers..remember one cig will hurt...I carried a book around with me, so I would always have something to occupy myself on breaks ect. Good LUCK you can do it.. it took me about 10 times

12. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

I forgot to mention how i used toothpicks when i got a craving. My dentist suggested i switch to "stim-u-dent" plaque remobers because they are softer. This method worked like a champ for me.

13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Multi taskers, too. I like it.

14. Primed

Primed Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah, don't engage in coitus... Major trigger;)

15. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Does he look like a 8itch?!

16. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

"Then why you tryin'..." :)

neutrontech likes this.
  17. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ha. I'm gonna have to watch that movie tonight.

18. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

"'Watch? Watch' ain't no country I ever heard of, they speak English in 'watch?'"

19. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

That IS a tasty burger!

20. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

"Do you mind if I have some of this tasty beverage to wash this down?"