1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Fitbit users on board here?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Moshe ben David, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I have a Blaze and I love it. My Omega gets no wrist time these days.

dml24 likes this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Well, I've just completed my second attempt to see if I like Fitbit.

The short answer is a resounding NO.

In my first attempt, I ordered an Alta HR off of Amazon several months ago. During setup I became so frustrated with the lack of response when tapping on the device that I returned it to Amazon. It just was not responsive in any manner remotely like the touch screen devices I am familiar with. Meaning iPod Touch, iPad, and iPad Mini. Didn't seem like any type of tapping on the Alta HR resulted in a response.

After more on line research, I decided to give the Flex 2 a try. You see, all I was really looking for was step counting and a device that would be easy and non-obtrusive to wear. This time I just went and picked it up at my local Best Buy. Same price; no shipping charge; just more convenient.

Now, I knew at the outset that the clasp would be something I'd either have to get used to or order different straps. So that wasn't a problem. The problem in my opinion was misleading specifications and advertising. I was partly drawn to Fitbit because of all the hype (which I now choose to use as my description of choice) for how the devices will alert with both a visual and a tactile (i.e., either a message as on the Alta HR or flashing LED on the Flex 2 for the visual; plus the device would vibrate). Which I figured would be helpful to remind me to get off my duff and move around.

I never did find out if any of this worked on the Alta HR because of my above dismay with the lousy haptic response. With the Flex 2 what I discovered was the ONLY firmware 'alert' was for a blinking blue LED. Not at all obvious. The only way to get the vibe alert would be to manually set default alarms. Not quite what was described, but I gave it a try. Turned out my unit wouldn't vibrate.

I'm done with these things. Fortunately, I still have a tri-axial Omron pedometer that counts steps fine. I'll just set alarms either on my watch or my computer or both.

Bye bye Fitbit and its ilk!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

xevious likes this.
  3. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Garmin is better than FitBit.
    The only thing is, the nicer Garmin wearables are very expensive. Then I discovered they had discontinued the vivoactive HR. So after keeping an eye out, I finally nabbed a lightly used one for less than half the discount prices for new-old-stock. It's a great wearable! It's a little large, but with the very soft flexible strap width matching the casing, it wears comfortably. I go to sleep with it on for sleep tracking data. Last but not least, the fun is being able to download new interface skins and apps to the device.

4. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I have been using an Alta foe 2 yrs. now. Easy to set up on Android phones, Galaxy S8 is mine. An after marlet band makes taking the Alta off the wrist. Not as prone to snap as the plastic stock band.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. Moshe ben David

@dml24: thanks for sharing your experience. As you can see from looking above at my last message, my experience with these things was not positive. I've written off this whole genre of devices as unsuitable for my needs.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I carried one of the those (now discontinued) that clip onto trousers for a couple of years.

Gave it up when I got an Apple Watch.

7. GRPAviation

GRPAviation Empty Pockets

I had 24.5 million steps on my original One. Managed to get another direct from FitBit. I love that it easily slips into the coin pocket on a pair of jeans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Moshe ben David

Which is what my venerable tri-axis Omron pedometer does also!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. INKGUY79

INKGUY79 Loaded Pockets

My wife and I just got the charge 2 fitbits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

I too prefer garmin. I can’t live with something that isn’t waterproof

Fenix 3 for me.