1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Fitbit users on board here?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Moshe ben David, Jun 27, 2017.

1. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Makes me wonder if in 10 years all watches will have activity/sleep monitoring built in. Seems almost inevitable that we'll see TAG Carrera's that are fitbit compatible...

MrEarp likes this.
  2. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

The Fitbit models with the replaceable bands are the way to go. I've been wearing them for years and broke at least 5 bands. As mentioned, CS is good so 4 of the five were free replacements. I'm not a fan of the clipons other than the One. They don't count steps as well as the Charge, Charge 2, etc and a couple of them got lost when hiking, running, etc.

My wife has several (Blaze, Charge 2, etc) and the Fitbits track steps way better than her Apple watches. She's actually part of their software beta testers so there are some more Apple like software changes coming.

I've got friends with all brands of devices and the Fitbit software wins hands down although the newer challenges, adventures, etc have some tracking glitches.

As to having a second watch type thing on your wrist I understand. I have about 30 watChes I wear so I prefer the more basic and smaller wrist devices like the Charge 2 versus the Blaze and Surge.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  3. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I have been using the Fitbit Alta for more than one year now. The Alta HR was not out one year ago so I cannot comment on that model.
    The basic Alta is accurate with step count, stairs and tracking sleep and pretty good at sleep type. I have heard some people with strap problems and I think the Fitbit options for wrist bands along with third party offers should give anyone good option.

The Alta had good battery life with charging based upon 5 to 6 days of runtime.

4. SlimJim16v

SlimJim16v Loaded Pockets

I have a Charge HR and wear it on my right wrist, as I wear one of my 30+ watches on my left. It's great, especially the software/app, connects to my phone with Bluetooth. As long as it's not displaying the time, you don't look daft/silly/geeky. It's great for keeping track of calories used and you can enter calories eaten/drunk on the app.

The only issues are the heart rate and sleep. The HR works OK for normal and long excercise, walking etc, but not short burst, weights etc.
    The sleep is not sensitive enough on std, but too sensitive on sensitive, needs a halfway setting.

Thinking about trying the Charge 2, for the better sleep tracking, as my sleep is also poor.

Oh, not had any reliability issues, but the keeper on the strap broke, but still works OK. The rubber outer is wearing through in one place.

5. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

The Charge 2 is becoming very affordable. I'm considering to sell my Surge and get a Charge 2 to use for right hand carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

A friend just replaced his Charge HR with the Charge2 HR, and here is what he emailed me regarding Charge2 HR sensitivity.

"My FitBit Charge HR had two sleep sensitivity settings on it, and I chose the lesser of the two. Once I took the greater of the two and it seemed too sensitive to me, since I move a lot when I sleep. The Charge 2 seemed to be stuck at the more sensitive level – I just checked (between these two sentences) and found out how to change it, but also found out that it’s set at Normal, the lesser of the two. Guess it’s just more sensitive."
    =======================================================

Fitbit offers the Alta HR, similar specifications to the Charge2 HR. You would have to compare the Alta HR to the Charge2 HR to determine the suitability of the Alta HR.

7. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I only have experience with sleep tracking on the Fitbit Surge. When I compare the statistics with my own knowledge of my sleep, it's almost scary how well it tracks. I don't even know if there is a sensitivity setting, it just works. My girlfriend had the Charge HR which is same HW generation as the Surge. Her tracking showed very erratic sleep pattern, but even though she was a bit surprised she believed the data because she was feeling tired at that time, and suspected that her sleep quality wasn't very good. I can't remember if we ever swapped watches to integrity check the HW, that would have been a useful test.

8. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

Wife had a fitbit, the one big problem with them is they are not water resistant except for one model made for swimming. When hers dies while she was washing her hands we replaced it with a Garmin because most of their models are waterproof.

9. menace2sobriety

menace2sobriety Loaded Pockets

I have but stopped using a fitbit one. I opted for the one because i am horrible with watches and it its around my wrist its going to get destroyed, and the fit bit watches were not something that I would want to be wearing as a watch anyway. when I was using the fitbit I loved it. It was an easy way to track my steps and the little app thing is a nice way to track data. it was a great motivator to make me want to get up and walk around even if for no other reason at all than to just up my step count. you can have friends on the app and compete. the only three things I didn't like about it is that I felt like I had to constantly keep charging it, I would always forget to take it off my work clothes and put it back on when I changed after work, and the sleep taking thing didn't really work for me (although that might have just been me). also it can be used as a sleep tracker but I didn't like the wrist pouch thing that you have to wear to use it while you sleep so I never did that. honestly I don't know why I stopped using it but i am getting lazy and putting on pounds so maybe i need to dig that thing out of my junk drawer and fire it back up.
    I bought my wife one of the new watch ones with the HR monitor on it and she loves it. I don really have any feed back not hat one but she really seems to like that watch tracker and its features.

10. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

I have killed;
    4 fitbits
    2 jawbones
    1 Garmin

I like the activity tracker thing, while I was doing the realestate agent thing I was getting 20k+ steps and 16-19km per day, good fun to make a game of that sort of thing imho.

11. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I have a charge2 and as an activity tracker it's excellent. I hate it as a watch - it never wants to flash the time on when I turn my wrist unless I do it in a certain way.

12. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

The Fitbit Blaze would solve the time viewing issue. During the holiday's the Blaze was just a little more than the Charge 2 HR.
    Best price recently viewed is $149-95.

13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Thanks to all -- especially you guys on this page who brought a not quite zombie thread back to life!

I've just picked up the Fitbit Flex 2 -- the lowest end of the wrist models. I have a nice group of watches already, so I didn't want another timepiece. The Flex 2 is small; claimed to be water resistant; seems is considered OK as a step counter which is really all that I would be doing.

Hope it holds up OK; seems like all of these things -- Garmin as well as Fitbit -- have a relatively high failure rate as compared to most electronics these days. By high I mean >10% within significantly less than a year. I'm a QA guy (amongst other things) and this is disturbing to me; but I've decided to take a chance. Especially since the Flex 2 is priced at most outlets at just under $60.

Stay tuned for updates!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

14. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

If you end up breaking or just not liking the Fitbit and need an alternative let me know. I got my wife a mi band 2 for her birthday about two months ago and it's been absolutely great especially for the money. Steps and distance are measured great, sleep tracking is good, hrm works decent enough and the notifications and vibrating alarm are so nice that she will no longer go without that functionality. If the device survives for a year or so it'll be plenty to warrant a new one every time but i honestly think it'll last longer than that. The thing doesn't even have a real button so there's not a single moving part that can break or let water in. Battery seems to last way over 2 weeks with most settings to the max. I like the design too, in all black it looks more like a strap than a watch. At about 20 bucks shipped I'm honestly considering getting one for myself too. Time will tell how this device ages, I'll post back here if something interesting happens with the device.

15. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Part of me is hoping/wishing that Gshock will get involved in this market.

16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've heard of this one. From what I can glean, the feature on which they are not competitive with Fitbit is the app that deals with data as well as the community of users. For myself at least at this point I'm not too concerned about the community of users -- although that could change of course -- as much as I can appreciate the app. Regardless, these two items are of value I'm convinced.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Loaded Pockets

I love my Blaze. I had a flex previously. Being a competitive person it helped me to compete with myself a little and get me moving. Desk jobs will kill you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

18. Captdave13

Captdave13 Loaded Pockets

Love my charge2 have had it for a year and have no complaints. Works as advertised. I use the sleep tracker a lot. It’s useful and I think accurate. Got mine at nordys so no worries if it goes TU and needs replaced with their liberal return policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I have been using the same bottom-end Garmin for three years, tracking steps and sleep. I still wear a real watch for timekeeping and a GPS watch for running though, the step tracker is just always there and I never have to think about it.

20. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I used the Garmin Enterprise for a long time, in the form of the Fenix 3. Loved it because it's got all the same tracking features (I was most interested/invested in sleep tracking) but also makes for a very functional, durable, and good looking watch, with a battery life that surpasses all smartwatches and even most fitness trackers. At the start of the year I started work in a secure vault though, where nothing connected is allowed in, so back to the GSAR I went. I was never one to count steps or anything religiously but it was nice to be able to see those, elevation changes, etc. whenever I wanted to. The Garmin app always felt more.. official? No-nonsense? To me than the Fitbit app (have experience with both) but that's just personal opinion, I think both are very close in functionality.