1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any firefighters on here?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by zfelly34, Jun 2, 2017.

1. zfelly34

zfelly34 Empty Pockets

Been thinking about it for a while now and was wondering what other firefighters carry, turnout gear or regularly. I feel like it would be an interesting topic

2. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

Good idea, I'll start.

Minimal on and off duty carry:
    [​IMG]

Usually completed with flashlight/multitool belt sheath.
    [​IMG]

My typical carry to the firehouse (minus food for the shift):
    [​IMG]

More pics and info in my EDC thread here.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of my turnout carry, maybe I'll take some when on my next shift.

twoisone likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@toemke: last pic, towards upper right. Is that a Benchmade rescue hook I see? What's been your experience with it?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

Yes, that's a Rescue hook 7. Although I never cut with it in action (it's an off duty carry, on the job I use a Victorinox Rescue Tool), the same hook on my Benchmade Triage cuts very well.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I became a volunteer fireman 16 years ago when I was in college. I had a Wenger SAK, a Maglite Solitaire, and this big stupid Nokia cellphone that provided incoherent, cracking phone calls. Oh wait, that was my EDC except back then we didn't need phones on us all the time. I had this radio pager thing about the size of a deck of cards. By the time I quit the VFD, I'd just gotten a new Razr phone!

I don't recall keeping anything in the turnout gear. I know I certainly didn't buy anything.

I did have an "issued" Gall's Mega Medic Bag and Motorola walkie talkie with "31" as a call number. All of which convinced me I was cool and somehow important. I went to great lengths to keep the bag from sun fading in my truck. Who was that goob?

Last edited by ArkansasFan30, Jun 2, 2017
    #5 ArkansasFan30, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  6. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Former volunteer FF/EMT as well - stopped about five years ago when we had kids. God bless those still serving.

IIRC On the job EDC in the turnout pants was as follows:
    Left - bailout roll of 30 feet of one inch nylon webbing with a carabiner
    Right - big CPR mask with nitrile gloves inside hard case, baggy of nitrile gloves and rescue knife clipped on the lip

Great ideas on the fire-related EDC on VentEnterSearch.com.

For training I had foam one-strap knee pads, which made crawling evolutions much easier. Never wore those on working assignments.

Best clothing investment was thick cotton, knee length socks to cushion the front of the legs when in fire boots. I also purchased some fire resistant underwear... One cannot be too careful.

7. HoldingAces

HoldingAces Empty Pockets

Career FD here. I don't have pics yet, but in my turnouts I carry:

Bunker pants:
    L pocket -- $1 screwdriver with 6 interchangeable bits. Also it articulates. Being $1 I buy handfuls at a time and abuse the poo out of them.
    -- Extra set of structural gloves
    R pocket -- 10' loop of tubular webbing with locking carabiner and daisy-chained. This is my utility webbing.

Bunker coat:
    L pocket -- Spare nomex hood
    R pocket -- 25' loop of tubular webbing with locking carabiner and daisy-chained. This is my life-safety webbing
    Radio pocket -- Channellock 87 9" Rescue Tool. BUY THIS TOOL. It has hardened wire cutters, a pry-bar, a spanner wrench and a gas shut-off key. I have used every one of those functions multiple times. It is worth every penny.

Helmet:
    $15 Energizer headlamp
    Angel tool
    Door chock

8. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I took forest firefighting course and hands on field training for controlled burns for part of my Recreation and Park Admin Bachelors degree. It's come in handy a few times when I pulled up on fires including some out of control property/woods fires. No way I could dig a line anymore unless I had too, not anymore.

9. Moshe ben David

@Ethos: I could see that course work coming in handy for either a REALLY epic barbecue; SUPERBLY epic marshmallow roast; but ultimately without a doubt -- building the MOAB (Mother of All Bonfires) for a homecoming pep rally!

Sorry. Just couldn't resist!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

It would be great for a job as a park admin or related, I could have gotten my red card but it wouldn't have benefited me any more for what I would use it for. I still have skills and understanding that a lot of people don't.

11. twoisone
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

That is a sweet double belt sheath. May I ask who the maker is?

12. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

It's made by a local craftsman, who specializes in archery accessories, but also makes other EDC items on request. He does quite a lot of international orders.

twoisone likes this.
  13. twoisone
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Many thanks!

14. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

Third season as a wildland firefighter in the state of Nevada. My daily is a Vic Spirit X, locking knife-currently a ZT 0566cf, my phone, prybar, Microstream flashlight and my wallet. And usually a Fairly Backpacker around my neck. Oh, and a Zebra mechanical pencil usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

With the CFA in Australia. A couple of pics of my turnout bag.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

Retired as a captain after 34 years of wildland, rural, and city firefighting on Type 3 and Type 1 apparatus in and around the Central Valley of California and the foothills of the Coast Range and Sierra Nevada for a very large department.
    By the end of my career, we were required to carry on our rig the following; turn-out gear, hood, gloves, personal SCBA mask and a radio.
    Also stuffed into the crew compartment ( we were two person crews ) wildland PPE, helmet, gloves and a overloaded firepack, not to mention an out-of-county bag for those delightful trips around the state as seemingly everything was on fire all at the same time.
    But I digress. I'm retired, I can chit-chat with the best of 'em.
    I carried very little in the way extras, I learned over time that most of what I needed was somewhere on my big old tool box sittin' by the side of the road.
    I did, however, carry a Pelican flashlight, a pair of vise-grips and 15 feet of webbing and a lock-back knife in my turnout pants pocket. I encouraged my crew to carry practical pocket tools and not to load themselves down with too much extra gear.
    When I think about how much more stuff we were weighted down with compared to when I was a fresh faced new guy, it's a wonder we didn't suffer from gear related back injuries.
    OK, I'm done now. Carry on.

17. Moshe ben David

New question for you firefighters.

Did you guys wear a watch whilst on duty? If so, which one?

Given the rugged nature of most G-shocks, I could see one of those as a possibility; but on the other hand even as rugged as a G shock is, in the heart of a fire, how would they hold up in the heat?

Not that I need this capability. I don't. I'm just curious...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

18. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

I carry an iPhone, in an Otterbox, on me when fire fighting which tells the time and has a pretty good compass. I also wear an eco-drive wrist watch shown in photo below. I do go through watch straps every three months and the photo is of my watch with a newly fitted Nato Ducati strap. It is well protected on my wrist as it is covered by my gloves and jacket.

During the extreme summer days when firefighting I wear a Sette heart rate monitor on my wrist with the strap around my chest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Moshe ben David

@Fire Fighter: Thanks for responding. That's a good looking watch. Much 'cleaner' display than so many of the Eco-Drives I see on here! Dig the strap.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Fire Fighter likes this.
  20. Chiles

Chiles Loaded Pockets

No pics, but that can be updated later if need be. Lets start with fire department carry!

Background Info
    I work at a rural full time department. 13 stations with 13 Sutphen engines, two Sutphen ladders, one air and light truck, 4 tankers, 5 brush trucks, and a few boats. Our county is around 500 square miles with a separate City Department operating in the center of the county.

We have two people per Engine, and three on the north end Ladder truck and two on the south end Ladder truck. My station has an Engine and Ladder, and we're generally the busiest company in the county every single month (north end of the county as mentioned earlier). My district has an industrial park and its pretty busy with our county covering a very large portion of a busy interstate. We have a good amount of extrications in our ladder coverage area. All engines equipped with preconneted extrication tools running off the on board PTO's.

Duty Uniform:
    -Pen
    -Wallet
    -iPhone 6
    -Casio G-Shock GW M-5610
    -Leatherman Raptor in back right pocket with wallet

Turnout Gear
    -Firecam 1080 WIFI on my Cairns N5A New Yorker leather helmet
    -Streamlight Survivor right angle light on coat
    -15' blue webbing with water knot in LEFT bunker pants pocket (for victim drags)
    -20' orange webbing with water knot in RIGHT bunker pants pocket (front divider, for firefighter extrication and egress)
    -Wire Cutter with webbing taped to the handle as lanyard in RIGHT bunker pants pocket (for self extrication)
    -Streamlight Vulcan LED on my shoulder

Canvas Tool Kit
    -Extra Wire Cutter with webbing taped to handle as lanyard.
    -Vise Grips
    -Larger sized Channel locks
    -Leather work gloves
    -Spare turnout gloves (clutch in the winter to have dry gloves after a job in the freezing cold)

If I'm on the Engine, I carry a 6' New York Hook or the irons. If I'm on the ladder riding tailboard I carry a 6' New York Hook every time and whatever ladder we need for the structure. If I'm riding officer seat on the ladder, I'll have the TIC and irons.

Fire Fighter likes this.