1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Fenix PD35 users?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by VictorNguyen, Mar 31, 2014.

1. VictorNguyen

VictorNguyen Empty Pockets

I just bought my first light, the Fenix PD 35. Any other use can comment on their experience of this light?

Also, what batteries are you using for this? Amazon link would be great.

2. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

I've had a PD35 for a few months. Haven't used it a lot. A few thoughts/comments from my limited use. It gets hot on max (or turbo or burst or whatever Fenix calls that mode) not unusable but you can tell there asking a lot of that light. I personally despise the side mode switch, but it works fine, just a personal preference. I so far have only run it on surefire cr123 primaries and it seems to get close to advertised run times with those. If you have any other specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them if I can.

3. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

I use this light too.

My thoguhts is somewhat similar to @nicknapp's input. I run Panasonic CR123 in mine, and they drain pretty quick. They drain so quick I actually thought my light was broke and started a thread about it hahahaha. Stupid batteries. :rolleyes:

The build quality and finish is really good I think. The mode switch on the side works fine, but I would actually enjoy another solution. Maybe a tap on the thumb clickie?
    The light gets hot at turbo mode. The warning label on the front actually is useful for a change. It gets HOT. :hot:

It is what it is, and it delivers a strong bright beam on turbo. 3 modes + strobe would have been enough in my opinion. Low, medium and turbo + strobe.

Good light over all, and I like it!

4. kbuzbee

kbuzbee Loaded Pockets

I got mine when they first shipped. Great light. I run 18650 in it.

I'm a huge fan of the mode switch on these. Perfect position for regular use. Anything in the tail cap requires me to change my regular grip to access. If fact, I've loved it on every light until the PD22G2. It just doesn't work for me there.

Like others, mine doesn't see regular use. If I'm being honest, it's WAY more light than I generally require. In fact, t was this light that put any lingering doubts about eventually getting a TK75 completely out of my head. ;)

That said, when I actually NEED uber power, I have it.

Ken

Crazy Canuck likes this.
  5. VictorNguyen

I might be using this pretty often for my job. Any ideas on rechargeable 18650?

6. D552

D552 Loaded Pockets

I have the PD 35 and I use it daily for work with the 18650 rechargeable. My light gets a lot of use as my primary duty light and I love it. I have actually thought about buying another one just to keep for my personal use at home instead of carrying it back and forth between work and home. I've use a lot of different lights over the years and I'll be sticking with the PD35 until Fenix comes out with something of the same size that is upgraded in some way.

Modchop likes this.
  7. VictorNguyen

Can you give me a link to the 18650 rechargeable that you use?

8. kbuzbee

kbuzbee Loaded Pockets

I use AW 3400 MaH (you'll find it several places including oveready.(sorry, when I try to paste a link it tells me the domain is not approved?)

I also have a couple Fenix labeled 18650s.

They've all worked fine (so far)

Ken

9. D552

D552 Loaded Pockets

I use the Fenix labeled 18650s. Bought them on Amazon. Fenix ARB-L2 18650 rechargeable battery. Check the Fenix website because there may be an upgraded version of their 18650 nowadays.

10. Lollolo

Lollolo Loaded Pockets

I'm a pd35 user, for me it's a good light

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI G525-U00 utilizzando Tapatalk

11. Doniphon

Doniphon Empty Pockets

Ultrafire 18650s have been 100% reliable for me in this light and others. No affiliation other than happy customer.

I tried the Tenergy batteries, had a couple of cells that stopped working very prematurely but Tenergy replaced them very quickly. Since the early failures, the other Tenergy cells have been fine.

12. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

Excellent light in my opinion, got mine for Christmas last year and have been carrying it ever since, where I live winters are very dark and very long so I use the heck out of it. Personally I prefer the side mode clicky and the build quality is superb, I mostly run on medium which is way more than enough for day to day and have gotten great battery life in this mode. I have on occasion had to use max output from time to time and am amazed by this little light. Also purchased the Maxpedition 5" tube sheath for belt carry and it fits perfect, much better than stock.

13. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

Love my new PD35. Running AW 2600MaH 18650 in it, though will be buying some new Solarforce 18650's at 2400MaH from Lighthound.com to try. (They're a true button top (not the easily caved in flattop kind).

I edc it in the belt pouch, though it fits fine in my front jeans pocket too. I just think the holster keeps the lens cleaner. I leave mine to start at burst/turbo mode, so I have it immediately if I need it, and switch to Eco if not. If I had it as a night stand light, it would be on Eco unless I felt the need for a higher mode, or instant access to the strobe function (press side switch and hold).

14. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I would pass on the Solarforce 18650's. The two my bro got were marginal. Didn't take a full charge (stopped at like 4.15v) and didn't really perform up to snuff.

AW and the others are money well spent.

15. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

I know AW"s are the BEST but at 1/$20 vs 4/$20 approx, for the solarforce batteries, especially with the better button top, that it might be worth trying.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

16. VictorNguyen

I got the ultrafire 4 piece rechargeable on Amazon. I'll let yall know how it goes.

17. D552

D552 Loaded Pockets

I just ordered a second PD35. Now I have one for work which stays at work and one for my EDC bag. Had to do it, I love this light so much. First flashlight that I have two of the same model. I am using AW 18650s in both lights.

18. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I've never crushed or worn out a battery due to the type of lead. More likely than not, it's just made charging or fitment in the light a chore.

Not saying AW is the only cell to buy. Not saying all Solaforce cells are bad. Just saying the ones I used were total crap. I don't want to spend 1/4th the price on something that is the heart of my flashlight, that can possibly burn down my house.

An IMR18650 2000mah is a safer cell than all of them for $11. Performance (voltage delivery) wise it's a beast too.

19. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Killed the PCB on a AW17670 ICR the other day.... this is a first I've ever heard of.

Was walking my dog with a Quark when I dropped the light. The light went dark once it hit the ground. After running all the usual tests I find the light is fine and the battery is showing 0v - PCB kick in. However, it won't reset (2 chargers and a parallel jump from a 14500) - the CPF gurus say the PCB board is broken. Guess, I'm going cut it out and run it unprotected (I always keep a good eye on voltage anyway).

Not saying AWs are bad, most of my cells are AWs and I've been happy with them - just a freak failure I guess.

20. Montani

Montani Loaded Pockets

Got my PD35 about a month ago, a very impressive light! I can see buying a few more in my future.
    Mine came with a Fenix 18650 arb-l2 battery and a Nitecore i2 intellicharger. A few spare batteries and I will be happy.