1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any fans of 5.11 pants?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Supermanda, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

I have 4 pairs of the Strykes and 1 pair of the Apex pants and if yall love the Strykes I think the Apex blows them away. They are much more comfortable and lighter. One a related note 511 has a new pant called the Ridgeline which is the Stryke pant minus the elastic band and cargo pockets.

MinistryOfTruth and Tech2 like this.
  2. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

I have the rip stop BDU's great hard wearing trousers, the only downside is carp Velcro as the thigh pocket closure. I just bought a pair of ridgeline trousers for work. Only worn them for a few days but like them, light and good pocket layout. The only downside so far is that they're kinda slide on my fabric covered office chair.

3. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

+1 on Apex pants. Most likely the best tac pants design ever to come out of 5.11.
    I handled a pair few weeks ago, I have too many pants as is so will pass for now.
    I'd just like 5.11 to offer their top pants in some other materials instead of predominant Polyester-loaded fabrics. Different finish would be good too, the Apex pair I tried were borderline shiny and felt plasticky.

4. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

They do require a few runs through the wash to break in

5. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I know.
    I'd still like them to offer some models in NyCo or Cotton/Poly mix with predominant cotton in twill, poplin, canvas or ripstop, I'm not fussy ;)

6. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

I've been eyeing the ridgeline pants, waiting for my local dealer to stock them still!

7. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

You better try those on if you can before you order. I tried some on at work in the same size as my Strykes and holy crap is sizing off. Also the crotch area is smaller.

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  8. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thanks for the tip! I never understood how that happens when it's within the same brand and the model is basically identical.
    I do know firsthand that whole batches of mislabeled sizes can reach retailers before the mess-up is discovered, but 5.11 seems to have pretty high standards on their QC.

9. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

This is no joke! I just ordered 6 pair, I ordered them one size up from my taclite jean cuts. They all have to go back and I STILL need to go up another size.

10. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Yeah, sad truth...basically a downside of offshore manufacturing.
    I had the same with pants from 5.11, Propper, Dockers, Vertx, Mountain Khakis...all well known and respected American clothing brands with now outsourced offshore manufacturing. Some (longer or wider) I would take to my tailor for a re-fit, the rest of it would go back for either replacement or refund. Frustrating experience, to say the least.

On the other hand I own 3 pairs of TADs and 2 pairs of Crye Precision field pants, all still made in US, made to specs, true to life fit, no deviations whatsoever from pair to pair.

Same goes for dozen or so of the USGI ACU, BDU etc uniforms I own, all made in US by gov't contractors, all exactly the same in width and length.

11. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Now I will say this though about 5.11, they used to use vanity sizing and still do on the older styles like the Stryke. The new styles do not use that sizing anymore and most do not have the elastic in the band either.

12. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

I'll discuss options for ordering with my 5.11 dealer here, he's usually very forthcoming and knows the product very well.

PS. TAD has a huge difference between their jeans and recons, the jeans are true-size, the recons in the same size were basically three sizes too big for me and i'm not skinny. But i agree that from pair to pair within the same model they're very consistent.

13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The quality was better when that product line was offered by the Royal Robbins organization.

14. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I have one 5.11 TACLITE Pros that I have used for two years. They are comfortable, and appear durable over time.

IMHO they look better than cargo jeans, although I do have some Carhartt cargo jeans that are very good.

Keep in mind the Carhartt cargo's are not tactical style jeans.

15. littleme

littleme Loaded Pockets

Ive had 4 pairs of the taclite pro shorts for 2 years now and absolutely love them. Still going strong and i wear them every day and are perfect for work. I love how i can fit both a multi tool and my flashlight inside the left velcro "phone pocket" allowing my main pockets to not feel full or bulky

16. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

It just happens that my Kryptonite U-Lock for cycling fits perfectly in the strap of my Taclite shorts, so I do like my 5.11
    shorts for biking around town.

17. Bkjsdc09

Bkjsdc09 Loaded Pockets

If you guys like the tac lite pro pants and shorts, I recommend trying the Stryke series pants and shorts as well. I wear them for work quite often and they are much more comfortable than the tac lites. They have big pockets and a tunnel waist. Both work great for me for concealed carry. I also have several 5.11 bags as well as boots. Never had any complaints about any of them. You can also get good deals on 5.11 stuff from la police gear. They usually have some decent give away stuff with 5.11 purchases.

18. Gaulois

Gaulois Loaded Pockets

I own 2 Taclite-Pro pants, here with the shirt of the same collection, and the belt also from "cinq point onze" ;) (yes, we pronounce like "five dot eleven")

[​IMG]

19. Bloodstriker

Bloodstriker Loaded Pockets

I have 6 pairs of 5.11 tactical pants. 2 of which are ripstop. I also have 3 pairs of their tactical shorts, 2 of which are rip stop. I don't wear them as much ever since I bought the iPhone 6s Plus as my phone no longer fits in the phone pocket! That was my favourite part of the design!

20. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Ok guys, 5.11 has a new pant called the Fast Tac. Its polyester and has the adjustable waistband that they said they were not going to use anymore. Anyways it looks like a Stryke pant but lighter and $35 cheaper. There are two versions, one with cargo pickets and one that is smooth sided. Lastly the best part is the pockets on the front of the leg will hold an iPhone 6+.