1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any experience with the 4Sevens Penlight?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by A144, Jan 15, 2014.

1. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

I've never been real big into flashlights, but I've been in a couple situations where one would have been helpful lately. So I'm looking for a lightweight, slim light.

The 4Sevens Penlight looks like it would fit the bill. Anyone have any experience with it? Or other similar light recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my rooted XT912 with CyanogenMod 10.2 via Tapatalk

2. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

Good overall little light. Don't expect long runtime on the highest level though since it's AAA based (only 22 minutes on high). For a quick lightning need, that's perfect. If you plan on walking at night, trekking or camping with it, then I suggest to look for a 2 x AA setup.

3. barlow666

barlow666 Loaded Pockets

I've carried a 4Sevens Mini (single AA) for years. It is barely bigger than the AA battery and plenty of light for just about every situation I run into; also cheap enough so that I will not cry too much should we ever part company unexpectedly.

4. Donut
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Donut Loaded Pockets

I got one when they had their sale a few weeks ago. So far I have carried it once to a hockey game. I read a review that said the clicky can accidentally get pressed. What do you know... when I got home from the hockey game the light was on and on low. =\

I'm going to try to carry it while I'm on vacation next week and I should have more input.

5. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

reppans has one too which he speaks highly of.

Self Built tested about 260 lumens on high which is about 70 more than the Preon2. It doesn't see an hour of runtime on high (35 mins) but the other two modes help with that. If you are the kind who prefers to burn at full brightness just top the batteries frequently :). None of my EDC's will do 35 mins on high and it's never been a problem.

reppans likes this.
  6. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Yeah, it's one of my favorite lights, esp. for suit/tie or business casual attire, but only for shirt pocket carry or in an EDC bag with dedicated pen/pencil holders where it's not likely to be "clicked." I've never accidentally activated mine. It has almost the same feel as a clicky pen and can be easily activated in a pants pocket or getting tossed around in the bottom of a bag. It can be locked out with quarter twist, but I hate having to do that with lights.

Beam of course is very floody with a giant hotspot, and all the XPG2 versions I've tried have had a very consistent pure creamy white without any blue or green tint to it. It has a solid feel and build quality to it, with a good clip, and I find I use it a lot since it's my "quickest draw" light - ie, fastest/easiest single-handed draw/use/return with shirt pocket carry. Wish low was a bit lower (just personal peference) and high is really too much for something this size (gets too hot and eats batts) but I only tend to use max for seconds at time on all my lights. I run Eneloops in it and am very happy with the batt life (low 80% of my usage) although I have not runtime tested it.

I've bought a half dozen or so, mostly when they go on sale, and keep them in my gift inventory - IMHO, one of the best non-flashaholic gift lights I've found. I'm a big fan of 47s current regulated lights for their efficiency (P0, Revo, Penlight and Quarks), but not so much their PWM lights... here's my current regulated Preon EDC hat trick.

[​IMG]

The embarrassing part is having to dig into my back pocket organizer for my bullet pen when someone asks to borrow my "pen" :)

Blerv, derfyled and keith1234 like this.
  7. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Loaded Pockets

I have a Preon 2 and have had the accidental click on happen to me. There are 2 solutions that I have found, neither one perfect, but it gives some options.
    1. replace the clicky tail cap with a rubber one; I used a spare one from a Streamlight Stylus Pro. With this in place the light will not automatically click on, but I found I had to very deliberately click on, it is almost too hard at times to do so. With this fix, it is an easier soft click between the modes, so that is an upside. I haven't tested it underwater, but rain etc isn't a problem.

2. With the light on, unscrew the emitter head ever so slightly until it goes off. This will prevent the light from accidentally clicking on. One advantage is that when you tighten up the barrel, the light can be left in low mode. This does change the operation, but with some practise you can rotate the head with one hand should you need to. This is actually the suggested fix from 4-Sevens.

Neither fix is 100% in my view, as there are trade offs with each one. You just need to try them both and see what works best for you. As I am writing this, Shot Show 2014 is happening, so maybe 4 sevens has fixed the issue with its latest model.
    how this helps.

8. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I've turned on recessed McClicky switches before and even a twisty once that wasn't screwed-off far enough (compressed the threads = 3a for 10 minutes). IMO, there are no guarantees out there so if it has a switch you just have to be more aware of how it's being carried/compressed. With twisties another half-rotation in the off position is helpful.

9. ANJARI

ANJARI Loaded Pockets

A144, you said you need something lighter...I suggest one fenix E05. A small flashlight use 1xAAA, 27 lumens and 2h50min runtime. IMO,is a winner by the size, weight and practicality of use.

10. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the help everyone! The accidental turning on of the light is probably my biggest concern with the Penlight, especially when it's going to be carried in my pants pocket.

I do love the form factor of it though. I may just have to pick one up if in can ever stop buying knives...

11. donnie7736

donnie7736 Loaded Pockets

I ended up buying a Preon Penlight for a friend of mine that is a RN. She always patches me up when I do something stupid and was talking about how she could use a good light for doing her rounds at work that had a nice low setting that wouldnt wake the patients. Far as I know she hasnt had any issues with it coming on while in her scrubs but im not sure if she carries it in a shirt pocket or in her pants.

12. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

Good to know. I'm a pharmacy intern and wear scrubs to work 80% of the time.

13. donnie7736

donnie7736 Loaded Pockets

So just talked to my friend and she said that the Preon Pen has full ano threads were the two halfs meet so when she has it in her scrub top pocket she uses the clicky but when its in her pants on purse she just gives it a half turn so it wont come on accidently

14. Rogerschrisj

Rogerschrisj Loaded Pockets

What model light is that in the middle. Is it factory or Custom?te="reppans, post: 1819905, member: 32448"]Yeah, it's one of my favorite lights, esp. for suit/tie or business casual attire, but only for shirt pocket carry or in an EDC bag with dedicated pen/pencil holders where it's not likely to be "clicked." I've never accidentally activated mine. It has almost the same feel as a clicky pen and can be easily activated in a pants pocket or getting tossed around in the bottom of a bag. It can be locked out with quarter twist, but I hate having to do that with lights.

Beam of course is very floody with a giant hotspot, and all the XPG2 versions I've tried have had a very consistent pure creamy white without any blue or green tint to it. It has a solid feel and build quality to it, with a good clip, and I find I use it a lot since it's my "quickest draw" light - ie, fastest/easiest single-handed draw/use/return with shirt pocket carry. Wish low was a bit lower (just personal peference) and high is really too much for something this size (gets too hot and eats batts) but I only tend to use max for seconds at time on all my lights. I run Eneloops in it and am very happy with the batt life (low 80% of my usage) although I have not runtime tested it.

I've bought a half dozen or so, mostly when they go on sale, and keep them in my gift inventory - IMHO, one of the best non-flashaholic gift lights I've found. I'm a big fan of 47s current regulated lights for their efficiency (P0, Revo, Penlight and Quarks), but not so much their PWM lights... here's my current regulated Preon EDC hat trick.

[​IMG]

The embarrassing part is having to dig into my back pocket organizer for my bullet pen when someone asks to borrow my "pen" :)[/quote]
    Wgat

15. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

?? It's the topic of this thread - factory.

16. Rogerschrisj

Rogerschrisj Loaded Pockets

I haven't ever seen a preon with that sort of machined finish. Every one I see just looks like a smooth barrel. ote="reppans, post: 1882497, member: 32448"]?? It's the topic of this thread - factory.[/quote]
    Ive