1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any experience w/ Progressive or Erie Insurance? ...

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by speedmaster, Aug 8, 2011.

1. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

Getting ready to switch from Allstate for home and auto, their rates continue to climb for us. I've gotten very favorable quotes, significant savings, from both Progressive and Erie Insurance.

I like the idea of Progressive as they're huge and have a large presence. I like the idea of Erie as they have an agent right in our town.

Soooo ...

Anyone have any really good or bad things to say about any of these agencies?

I just called Allstate and gave them an opportunity to match the rates, they should have a quote for me by EOD.

Thanks!
    Chris

2. Dasein420

Dasein420 Empty Pockets

I have used progressive for my boats for about a d

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

3. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

Thanks!

4. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

5. LukeA

LukeA Loaded Pockets

Erie's fine. Supposedly it takes 3 auto incidents in a year before they raise the rate.

6. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

I have had Erie for both home and auto for years now. Unfortunately have had to use it several times. Twice with my wife's car and twice with my house. Excellent service! Very user friendly, very helpful, and definitely very responsive. I would recommend them.

7. Dasein420

Dasein420 Empty Pockets

Was going to say that I have used progressive for my boats for seven years now and I love them. Sorry about that. My phone cropped out.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

8. artblur

artblur Loaded Pockets

I've used and been happy with progressive. They even paid my med bills when I was hit by a truck.... While I was on my bicycle. They're great.

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

My advice would be to go with whichever insurance company gives you the best price quote.

The days of getting to know your local adjuster, having him work with you, getting the best coverage for a reasonable price and having someone you can contact with a question . . . Those days are pretty much gone. Some face-less individual over the phone or the internet who maybe knows the answer to an insurance question you have. When it gets to that point, it's just best going for the cheapest price.

I did that with my taxes. My former accountant used to be an IRS employee. I paid extra every time he did my taxes because he knew every rule, every deduction, and how I could get the maximum return. Then, he passed away. His son took over. Swore to me that his dad had finished up my return before leaving this world. That turned out to be a blatant lie since I ended up having to write Uncle Sam a rather fat check that year. Son then got himself a job at a big accounting firm. Got it by handing them his father's files and client lists. I wasn't happy at all. Went to H&R Block for a couple of years. That service where they fight for you if the IRS audits you, I found out that costs a premium on top of the large fee they charge for doing your taxes. I was clearly wasting a ton of money. Found a local accountant through word of mouth. He did my taxes, got me a nice return, and cost less than half of what H&R Block charged me. (If H&R Block tossed in their audit feature as part of the general fee, I'd still be with them. But they don't. So what's the point other than the $$$ ?)

10. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Just for fun & giggles, type: 'Progressive Insurance C.E.O Peter Lewis', into snopes' website.

~Gnarly

11. dbert

dbert Loaded Pockets

I have Erie Insurance for auto and renters. It was by far the best price I found and the coverage was just as good as the other brands.

12. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

I agree with half of that. The days of the local adjuster are pretty much gone. However, insurance companies now handle all their claims pretty much the same. Get to know your local body shop - they can help you more.

Also, not all insurance companies have the same levels of service, and policy provisions will also vary. For example, insurer A may provide rental car reimbursement for a week, while insurer B will provide a larger car for 2 weeks. But they never talk about that. Even more important, not all insurers have a good reputation for paying claims. State Insurance Departments track complaints, and the information they provide is well worth a look before signing on the dotted line. My view is not to shop on price, but on service, reputation, quality and liberal policy terms. You won't care how much you paid when you file a claim - you only want as much $$$ as possible.

Another point - don't buy homeowners or renters insurance from a company that writes in only one state. There are many examples of companies that went bust or had to be acquired after a large disaster wiped out their surplus.

In the interest of full disclosure, I worked in the insurance industry in different capacities for over 20 years. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

13. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

Erie has been fine by us, we've made claims before and they have always been easy to deal with. E-mailed Erie a picture of the damage and they wrote us a check.
    Allstate cost more and treated us like criminals when tools were stolen from my truck, I got the why do you have those in there, you must be using them for work so they aren't covered. Give us legal proof that you are not using them for business. They still didn't reimburse me for all of them.

14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

A special note regarding AllState:

They were the first major insurer I called up after buying my then brand new Mazda6 V6 sedan. I too was treated like a criminal, given the 3rd degree by a rather obnoxious middle-aged woman. All just to get a price-quote. Finally I had had enough. I told her to let's just forget the whole thing. Let's just say I never called up, and we never had this conversation. She actually laughed. Yup. What a very professional way to deal with a potential customer. Then she told me she had never had anyone say that to her before. (I highly doubt that.) I called up another major insurer, and the woman over the phone only asked me the types of questions you'd expect an insurance company to ask. No deeply personal questions in an accusatory tone the way the AllState representative did. Ten minutes later, I had insurance on my brand new car.

15. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

We still deal with our local (State Farm) agent, and have been very pleased with the service they provide. Been with SF for 25 years, and I'm only on my 2nd local agent in that period of time, the first agent retired about 10 years ago. I go in to their office once every year or two to go over our coverage and they routinely show me ways I can save money on my insurance that I hadn't thought of. When I have shopped for rates out of curiosity, they have been very competitive, usually beating the others on price, and their service has always been top notch when I've had accidents. We currently have our home and four cars insured with SF and will likely go with life insurance and an umbrella liability policy in the near future as well from them.

16. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

+1 for State Farm. I'm a second generation insured, and my son is the third generation. They have never done me wrong. Their rates are reasonable and their claims service is second to none IMO. When a tree fell on my parents' garage, State Farm had salvage crews out in a day. The claim was settled and paid before the neighbors (insured with someone else) had even agreed on the claim amount.

State Farm writes in almost every state of the Union, so disasters in one state are not likely to affect their solvency.

If I sound like an insurance professional, it's because I was for 2 decades (not sales). I interviewed at State Farm once. The top of their org chart is labeled "Policyholders." They act like it too.

17. nellyhartley

nellyhartley Empty Pockets

I can’t say anything about these two companies because I’ve been insured with The Hartford for over a decade now. I’ve looked at quotes from other companies every year or so to make sure I’m not being gypped, but nothing has beat the rates we’re getting now. Since you’re looking to switch, you may as well get a few online car insurance quotes from The Hartford too.

18. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

+1 for State Farm. By far the best out there.

19. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

Been with Erie almost 20 years.

Reason they have "cheaper rates" as told to by a State Farm agent.

Erie does not advertise. Those expensive commercials have to be paid by someone.

Not saying this make Erie better.

20. Prepared American

Prepared American Loaded Pockets

I have Progressive for quite a while with only one claim, hit a deer, they where courteus and quick. However they did just recently raised my rate, when I called and asked why, they said it was global in my state due to above average claims in my state. I do like being able to get an exact quote on policy changes and new vehicles via internet though.