1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Expats? (Current or Former)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by reppans, Feb 26, 2014.

1. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

LOL, I have a name, you know.:D

And since this isn't the first time we've seen a topic differently, I'd think you'd remember who I am.

Oh, I see the difference now, english speakers in the southern hemisphere are more sensitive.:rofl:

All kidding aside, I do think that the US, the UK, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia are culturally more similar than different. Are there real differences? Sure, but not like there would be when comparing any of them to, say, China or Saudi Arabia. I tend to think of the differences between these countries the same way I see the regional differences here in the states. At the end of the day, it's not really that different.

Of course, I could be completely off base.

2. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Japan is ultra safe, clean, organized, and the people exceedingly polite and with great service... makes you feel like a king there. For me as a outdoor enthusiast, motorcyclist, and gearhead: the weather was best of the three, city bicycling and mountain motorcycling were awesome, and for me, even the shopping (go figure) was the best in the world bar none. Shopping was organized by district, then stores specialized by product - you could find anything available in the world there, for whatever discipline (often at 2x the price though :)). The Mrs. was taken by London's old world and cultural charms though - the weather got to me personally... esp. when you only have the weekend.

SurvivePenna likes this.
  3. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

Knightrock EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's always interesting to talk to people who have/do live other places and learn from them, about other locales.

4. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

Knightrock EDC Junkie!!!!!

How was food in London?

5. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Of course I remember you my dear! Just too lazy to back check on the posts. Sorry.

@CatherineM, I'm not really offended. Merely pulling your leg a bit.

When I came to NZ everybody said it would be the same as home - culture, language etc. Superficially this is so. However, after 10 years of living here the differences, although subtle, are deep and unshakeable. I have no close friends who are NZers. All my circle of friends are expats from various countries. It seems that we have a common bond - that of being outsiders - and are never seen as more than curious foreign objects to the locals. At least that is the vibe I and my friends get.

Anywho, no harm no foul, as the hoary old saying has it.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  6. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My legs are made for pulling.

Sent by Owl Post

T.H.Cone likes this.
  7. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I think like any big city, you get some of the best restaurants around, although similar to NYC, the indigenous specialties are not, how should we say.... "world renowned". The pubs are awesome though :D.

8. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

They should be.

Just one example: There is nothing quite like a genuine Devonshire Cream Tea with real clotted cream, homemade strawberry jam and freshly baked scones. :hungry:

Never tasted anything like it anywhere else in the world. Pale imitations, yes, real deal, no.

9. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Like every other touristy corporate metropolis, you can get whatever you want. You have to venture off the tourist path a little to get the genuine articles in diverse communities though.

10. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Stop it. Please. I can't bear it. Not local to London though. Probably the most typical local food where I grew up was :censored:s and chips. I'll bet my house that that gets censored out, though. Oh how oppressed we brits are in this us-centric forum, they don't understand that we just want to talk about cigarettes and offal.

11. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

Do the years I spent backpacking back and forth across Europe and North Africa count?

SAKplumber likes this.
  12. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Made by 'Brains'? I always thought that was rather ironic given the composition of fa ggots.

I'm a Westcountry boy so my local stuff is things like pasties, cream teas, real flat scrumpy cider and so on. All bad for you of course but that's part of the appeal! :D

13. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Heck yeah.....now that sounds like an experience!

Work/play.... or just play :D

14. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

It was a heck of an experience and an education as well. At to work or play, that's a mixed bag. The purpose was toward the play side, but carrying and 80 lb backpack made it a very hard sort of play that sometimes bordered on work. But I highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity.

reppans likes this.
  15. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

many years in the middle east (mainly Syria) and South America ( Chile)...we still go to Chile often.

hunter s gatherer and SAKplumber like this.
  16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wish we could go to Belize more often. Thats awesome, man!!

hunter s gatherer likes this.
  17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's right ...you married a Latina tambien..

SAKplumber likes this.
  18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Si ;)

19. jmac30
    • In Omnia Paratus

jmac30 Loaded Pockets

Currently living in London after moving east to west coast in the US - have to say we made the move when our twins were 2.5 years old and it has been great! We have been here just about 2 years and the cultural differences are interesting - one of the best books I can recommend for anyone thinking of the UK is Watching the British it really helps you see some of the differences!

T.H.Cone and reppans like this.
  20. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Can't we just watch Top Gear instead?

The great UK version, not that horrible one we have here, though I guess that comparison speaks to the cultural differences as well.

Ben Rubinstein, Lou_G, Shur and 2 others like this.