1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Electrician Out There???

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Denim_Chicken, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Denim_Chicken

Denim_Chicken Loaded Pockets

That's crazy they don't allow utility knives. They gave us one at the beginning and the teachers use them as well. I just find folders to be too thick when stripping the cables most the time. Not Victorinox though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SV-97

SV-97 Loaded Pockets

Well they're not directly prohibited but if you have an accident they won't pay :censored:. I'll strip "smaller stuff" (up to 35mm²) with cable shears and i never had a problem with the thicker blades for striping the big stuff as long as they're sharp. But as an electrician wire stripping isn't the main task for a blade in my opinion(well I work in a workshop, maybe it would differ if i was at construction sites more often). I far more often have cardboard and such that i need to cut, deburr some plastic with my knive(don't want to carry a deburrer(is that a word? :D )), cut paper into a small note-size, open packages...

Denim_Chicken and ran23 like this.
  3. James Hrupek

James Hrupek Empty Pockets

I'm an electrician apprentice myself. I carry my old benchmade minigrip or my sebenza and it works well. But it gets harder to beat up your favorite knives. I would recommend just getting a carpenter's knife and keeping sharp blades in it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Denim_Chicken likes this.
  4. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

AztecaMX91 Loaded Pockets

My brother in law is an electrician and does mostly residential new construction. Ive worked with him on and off during the years and ive never seen him need anything other than his lineman pliers (and screw drivers of course) for most jobs. Cut and strip wire or romex, crimping pigtails, hammering a 6in screwdriver through drywall or plaster to find studs, and dozens of other things. Oh and a utility knife for occasionally opening boxes. I grudgingly admit a utility knife is a lot more useful and faster than a folder.

Sent From Another Dimension

ran23 likes this.
  5. Denim_Chicken

6. Denim_Chicken

Agreed. Good insight thanks man.

7. Denim_Chicken

Yeah I'd love you carry a big Emerson to beat up but its way too expensive. Might just buy some Sanremus (spelling?). I'd be terrified to work with a Sebenza

8. Denim_Chicken

This is true. I've only been on a few residential jobs but I've just had my screwdriver, linesmans, strippers, drill, and my EAB most the time.

9. James Hrupek

James Hrupek Empty Pockets

The sebenza is such a well made, rock solid workhorse of a knife. I don't do alot of cutting day to day besides boxes and electrical tape. My actual hand tools take care of 98% of my needs but it just feels good when there is an insingo sebenza clipped to the pocket. And if I had to abuse a knife I always have a mini grips of some variation on me as well. Someone should start a thread for pictures of pockets. Lol. My right pocket is always unusable for anything but edc gear

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

10. Denim_Chicken

I just saw a post in my feed titled "Show Us Your Pocket EDC!"

Post your pics there if you can find it!

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm not an electrician but in the back of my memory there has been much discussion about a pocket folding knife going back decades, to at least WWII. Seems like it is still made by Klein Tools as the model 1550. Comes in both ss and carbon steel versions. Easily found in Home Depot, on Amazon, etc etc. Some versions are two blades; at least one is a three blade. You can find versions with a sheeps foot blade; a sort of hawk bill blade, etc. I do know Klein are a maker of an array of hand tools for electicians etc; and given this model's longevity maybe it has merit? But y'all who actually do the work would know better than I -- I'm only a spectator at this discussion!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ran23 and Denim_Chicken like this.
  12. Denim_Chicken

I've learned to only buy Klein tools. Life time warranty. We had a kid in class snip a live wire with his linesmans and put a hole through the center of them. Took them to Home Depot the next day and got a brand new pair at no cost.

13. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

This i did not know. I have a pair of strippers i did that too.... also tried to trim a screw that was to hard and destroyed the strippers pivot. I kept them just in case.

14. Denim_Chicken

Hey it'll happen to everyone. And yeah it's either Home Depot or Lowes or both.

15. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I think just about all of us run pretty much Klein hand tools.

I do favor ideal brand strippers though. They seem to last the longest to me.

My hand benders, MC strippers, knockout set, and ratcheting cable cutters are Greenlee. The benders have aluminum heads and are lighter as long as you take care of them. I like the design on the MC strippers better than anything else out at the time I got them. The cable cutters I got cheap used from a guy changing jobs.

My hole saws, and hacksaw blades are Lenox. Again they last the longest IMHO. 2nd is milwaukee cutting bits but they are hard to find locally stocked around here. I've had Klein and Dewalt hole saws and they have failed to impress me multiple times for how much higher than they are than Lenox.

I'm a big Milwaukee power tool fan but my former boss had some deal with the local dewalt guy. As long as we ran dewalt the boss would foot the bill for repairs. So we all ran Dewalt.

My local lowes has pretty much quit stocking Klein tools and moved ideal tools in their spot. I got slapped with disability before any of my stuff has wore out or got burnt up enough needing replaced to test any of their pliers or screwdrivers.

Denim_Chicken and ran23 like this.
  16. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but my electrician has a sort of a trick he learned years ago in NYC. To quickly peel romex...he uses a potato peeler. But only the kind that has the stops on it that prevent the blade from rotating entirely. It's super quick.

17. CEC(SCW)

CEC(SCW) Loaded Pockets

I have been an electrician most of my adult life and also did it in the Navy (thus the user name). Have tried most every type of knife out there but my tried and true favorite is a Stanley 199 utility knife. It's always open and tough enough that you can beat on it with a hammer or set of pliers and cheap enough that if you break it your only out $5.00 to $10.00.

[​IMG]

tmshaffer and Adahn like this.
  18. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

How do you carry this knife? Is there a sheath to it (my google-fu doesn't bring up anything like that).

19. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Just stick it in your tool pouch.

Actually ive seen electricians that just put their screwdrivers and pliers in their pants pockets so idk about those guys. I like everything organized on a tool belt that has a pouch for tools and a hammer loop. The pouch usually has a pocket for utility knives.

Adahn likes this.
  20. Ellis Chapman

Ellis Chapman Loaded Pockets

Yeah that's the tool. I like mine to retract...