1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Electrician Out There???

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Denim_Chicken, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Denim_Chicken

Denim_Chicken Loaded Pockets

I'm in electrician school for the next 10 months or so. I was wondering if you guys only carry a utility knife or does your EDC obsession make you incorporate some high end cutlery into your daily carry? I've seen guys use a hawkbill or sheepsfoot blade for Romex stripping. Is this overkill? What do you guys find the easiest and most practical? Also include any other random tools.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

This one works well for me... Cheap and rock solid, a good multi-task utility blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Warsong, TDS and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. Denim_Chicken

That is a fine looking blade. Would you ever take a Victorinox into the field for hard daily use?

Tony Sal and Nick4305 like this.
  4. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

When I started out I carried a Klein cable knife but by my 2nd year I moved to a utility knife. I was in school 4 hours one night a week while I worked during the day. At the end of 4 years I had the school hours and OTJ hours to test so I had time to slim what I carried down. You can always tell the first years because they try to strap the whole van to them, by the 2 or 3rd year most of them finally come to their senses, lol.

They make strippers for romex but I personally never really seen the point. If I had only done residential only dealing with romex then maybe but I could be working at a house one day and have a service call at an industrial plant the next. Grows to be a pain swapping out specialized tools for each job. I carry one pair of stripper that do both jobs.

In my toolbelt the tools that never got swapped out was a large flat blade with a conduit reamer on it (doubled as a pry tool), 2 422 channel locks, linemans pliers, needle nose, strippers that went to 8 gauge, #2 phillps, trim driver, 6 inch level, 25 foot tape measure, and dikes (i like the angle headed ones). Other tools would come and go depending on the job. I suggest having a 20 oz hammer and at least a cordless drill. They will get used a ton but you don't have to tote them when not needed.

Good luck getting though school. I found it boring as all out and learned most of what I did on the job before they taught it to us in class. I do agree it should be required because I've worked with some guys that grandfathered in before they done away with it (their daddy gave them their license) and they don't know squat.

Tony Sal, ran23 and Nick4305 like this.
  5. Denim_Chicken

Thanks man! I also agree with the schooling. I got through residential (ugh) and I'm just starting commercial. The code is a killer as well as the other books but there is a lot of information that I've used when I went on a few jobs with a friend. Good with the bad I suppose. I recently started carrying a Stanley tool bag during labs (the tool belts they got us horrible). I'll take note of your tool load out for future reference. Appreciate it thanks again man.

6. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Your lucky if they supplied you with anything. I think where I worked at (disabled now) gives out a basic list now but when I started you were pretty much on your own figuring out what you needed. Back then he would let us charge tools to his account (hold it out of our check) at the supply house but you had to go to the supply house and then pay their markup for tools. I also worked with a great bunch that didn't mind letting us borrow stuff time to time.

I loved being a sparky before my health went to crap and I couldn't do it anymore. My only regret is waiting till I was in my mid 20s to start doing it.

7. Denim_Chicken

I'm right with ya man! I just turned 27 and I envy the few 18yo in my class. Can't regret anything though. Better late than never I suppose!

I can't wait to get out into some commercial work. Just been doing residential jobs. It's dirty work but it really helps being able to match what I read in a book and then actually doing some of it.

Tony Sal likes this.
  8. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

My only Vic user is a Farmer.
    Silver alox. Since, let me think ... may be three years.

9. tyman26

tyman26 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG] this victorinox electrician seems to work well for me when I do electrical work, but I'm not doing electrical work everyday.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. Denim_Chicken

Wow. Come to think of it my grandfather has HIS fathers SAK and still uses it from time to time. I'll have to snag a pic of it.

I'm using a Cadet now for daily tasks but there's been times when that saw and awl could have come in handy. Do you find the Farmer to be too bulky at all? Oh and I noticed the Alox Harvester is the same but with a hawkbill blade. Is it the same specs as the Farmer?

Tony Sal and Nick4305 like this.
  11. Denim_Chicken

Right on. I've been looking at that knife quite a bit. Maybe just for small side jobs when I don't need to carry a lot of tools.

tyman26 likes this.
  12. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah, Harvester has a smart hawkbill small blade instead of the can opener (not a great loss...) and small screwdriver (and this is bad...) combo tool.
    Defiantly one of my most preferred alox toolset.
    But i put a Farmer years ago in my pocket, and it's still there everyday.

13. Denim_Chicken

Right on man. I'll have to pick one up before I get my orange collection going

Nick4305 likes this.
  14. TOPOS

TOPOS Loaded Pockets

I'll second the Alox Electrician, I rarely ever use it for actual electrician's work (because I know nothing about that stuff). Still it's a wonderful all around knife.

15. Denim_Chicken

[​IMG]

I was checking this one out. Looks like the hawkbill would be pretty useful and the saw and awl might come in handy.

Warsong and Nick4305 like this.
  16. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

...and once there have been more than one colored version too... oooppps ... sorry for the alox's derailment ! :D

[​IMG]

17. Denim_Chicken

Haha I think I forgot what this post was about

Nick4305 likes this.
  18. Ellis Chapman

Ellis Chapman Loaded Pockets

I've been an electrician for 30 yrs. IMO the utility knife is the way to go. I always carry a nice folder also.

Nick4305 likes this.
  19. Denim_Chicken

I'm sure that's the route I'll go. Thanks for the reply.

Nick4305 likes this.
  20. SV-97

SV-97 Loaded Pockets

I'm in my third year now; I usually carry an "abuser" fixed blade, a small folder + a larger folder (at least one with onehand opening), and I always try to have a multitool on me (for example Tops MSK, Spyderco Squeak, Manly Comrade, Leatherman M.U.T) Other tool i carry at work are a pair of gloves, a mini prybar, a sturdy ballpen and a small flashlight

One could cut the two folders down to a victorinox or something similar with a small and a large blade and a fixed blade
    I would not recommend cable knives
    And utility knives aren't even allowed here in germany by the trade association, for a reason I say, seen some messy :censored: happen with them(snapping blades and such); that said many colleagues still carry one

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9195 mit Tapatalk