1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any EDC stories ??

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by clock, Apr 15, 2006.

1. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Emergencies, semi-emergencies, or major inconveniencies >>>
    where you had to wave your sword ... errrr ... EDC and hop to the rescue ?

Convince us ( and lurking readers ) that ERCers are not nuts. 
    Rather they are prepred for things that CAN happen. ::)

:angel:

2. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

I can't remember the amount of times I've responded to the half-hearted question, "does anyone have a knife?" My favorite part is when I actually hand the person a knife and they look surprised that I actually have a knife. People just don't expect people to have knives.

3. xDANx

xDANx Banned

About 7 months ago I was in a clothing store and the power was knocked out from a storm, I was the only one with a flashlight. Got a lot of weird looks when I pulled the light out though. :-[

4. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I've helped people by using my multitools, knives, flashlights, and Band-Aids. But, I surprised a middle aged couple by letting them use a small, folding magnifying glass that I carry.

We were standing at a store's battery display. They were shopping for a replacement battery and straining their eyes trying to read the number on a tiny button cell battery they brought with them.

5. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

The number of times the screwdrivers on my SAK and Leatherman have seen use is beyond compare. People come to me when they have loose eyeglass screws because I have the only driver around that fits. But there's one time I proved I wasn't wasting my money on pocket toys.

My wife had gestational diabetes with her last pregnancy. One night we're at the local high school in a darkened auditorium, and it's time for her to test her blood sugar on an unlighted meter. By golly, I do have a flashlight on me. ;D

6. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

My six-year-old thinks it is normal for a daddy to carry everthing that she needs: kleenex for her nose, scissors to cut tags off of clothing, knives to open blister packs, flashlights for everthing, bandaids, chapstik, etc. Of course, she now wonders why I don't have a Batterang or a grapling hook gun on my utility belt...

7. gordonk

gordonk Empty Pockets

Just in the last stages of prepping one of my rental properties - lots of stuff here :) My Paladin/SOG 510 multi-tool for doing electrical when my toolkit is in another room, or I'm up the stepladder and brought the wrong tool. Scraping paint off baseboards with one of my folders, as you room to room painting, taping, etc. Scoring drywall with one my folders to re-fit pieces into a wall. Using my Gerber Infinity or Inova X5 to poke around in dark places in the house. Trying to change a light fixture at nite (this rental stuff is over and above my "real job" ::) - using my LED headset so I have both hands free. Installing a dishwasher and cutting hose to the correct length with my saw on my LM Wave II, then using the screwdriver portiont to tighten up hose clamps. We buy paint in 18 litre containers and I used my paracord to slip thru the handle of of the paint bucket and lash to a ceiling catch so the bucket wouldn't tip over during transport. Using the point on one of my folders to chip out drywall so it could be patched correctly. Using a folder to cut the fibreglass tape for drywalling. Using the tip of a folder to clean out those drywall bits when they clog up. Using a folder to scrap off plaster from the plastering blade. Using the tip of a folder to scrape out the cornersof silicon sealant out of tiling in bathrooms, counters, etc. when the scraper doesn't work.

- gord

8. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

In November, 2004, I was headed to work about an hour before sunrise on a rainy day.  There's a strech of road where there are 2 S-curves, separated by about 400 yds of straight road.  The curves are both blind, but are gentle enough that vehicles can stay at the 40 MPH speed limit safely, even in the rain - under normal conditions.  This morning was anything but normal.

When I was about 1/3 of the way past the eastern curve, headed towards the western curve, an SUV coming towards me drifted off the shoulder, which was very steep.  The SUV then hit a telephone and started to spin around into the roadway.  I had just enough time to get my foot off the gas before I passed him - I was headed to the brake pedal but didn't make it.  Although we were never able to determine exactly what hit my front left quarterpanel, it was probably the alternator or A/C compressor from the SUV as it spun around the telephone pole.  Had I not gotten my foot off the gas, whatever it was would have come in the driver-side window and I might not be typing this at all.  It hit with enough force to bounce back across the roadway and down into a field.  At least, that's what we think.  We never did find it.

The SUV spun around the pole with enough force to totally destroy the driver's side door on the opposite side of the pole, which snapped in two about 20 ft up.  I came to a stop about 100 yds from the western S-curve.  We were one accident just waiting for another one to happen.  I was blocking the west-bound lane, the wrecked SUV was blocking the east-bound.  I truly expected the SUV driver to have serious inuries, or worse, so I wanted to leave my vehicle exactly where it was.

My next thought was to check on the SUV driver, so I grabbed my Surefire Z3/P91.  As I was getting out, I saw the SUV driver out in the road, walking normally.  Since it looked much better than I had expected, the more pressing need seemed to be to stop any traffic coming towards us, especially from around the western curve, which we were closer to.  The Z3 with the P91 bulb puts out 200 lumens, so I was easily able to reach down to the S-curve so that drivers had advanced warning that something was up, long before they came around the curve .  I then called 911 to report the incident.  I wish I'd had a second light to shine back the other way, but I wasn't that prepared.  As soon as enough cars had backed up that they were around the S-curve, I went to check on the other driver.  Turns out, he had fallen asleep and only had a scratch.  The SUV was totally destroyed.  It looked like a giant pair of pliers had tried to crush it.

Had I not had my Z3, anyone coming around the western S-curve at, or even near, the speed limit would not have had time to stop, given the rainy conditions, especially as the line of stopped cars worked it's way back to the curve.  I can't say that the Z3 prevented a worse accident, but it definitely decreased the odds.

When I got home, I put new cells and a new bulb in the Z3.  It's for emergencies only, so I want it as fresh as possible, should I need it again.  And I always have a second light with me now, just in case.