1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any drummers here?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by KB3UBW, Feb 20, 2013.

1. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

Nice tubs deeker. Electric Turquoise? That's sharp. I had a turquoise lacquered DW 10,12,14,16, 22 w/ black hdwr back in the day. Fabulous drums.

2. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Is that a vintage rogers and a black oyster ludwig?! :eek: beautiful. BEAUTIFUL!!

3. Cornholio2188

nice sets! Custom setup on the bottom?

4. Cornholio2188

I agree with all these guys^^ Intermediate electric sets could run close to 500-not much cheaper than new...but you could expect them to work. You should always try them out though.

5. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

I might be able to stretch my budget that far, if so, what sets would y'all recommend I look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  6. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

So it looks like I might be able to stretch my budget to about $500-$750, not including sticks, and a stool, and that kind of stuff. Is there a decent electric set that you would recommend for that range?

7. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

The best chair I’ve seen, sat on and bought for that reason is a Tama 1st chair. Available in leather or cloth, in standard or sumo size, and optional with a backrest. But obviously not exactly cheap.
    Looks like either they changed the “sumo” part to “wide” or I was just fantasising. Anyway, I got a HT530C.

8. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

Ok, what sticks do y'all use/ what type of music do you play?

9. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

+1. I bought one I still use as an office chair.

10. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

Anybody have experience with the Yamaha DTX500X? I'm seeing it for about $600 which I could make work, as long as y'all think it'd be worth it.

11. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

Not quite custom, more "thrown together from various kits and parts, then wrapped in white to look similar". Sounds decent, but the 18" kick can be a bit enemic without some support in most cases.

Thanks. They sound better than I can play! I'd love a 4th tom, but that's just me being greedy. Do you have a photo of your kit with the black hardware? Bet it looked great!

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  12. Cornholio2188

Yamaha sets are always a good bet, as long as it's one of the newer models...I would say wait til one pops up for 500 if you can...if you buy new than 700 is cool.

I have Vater Power 5b's....only use those. I've used all kinds of sticks-promark, all kinds of zildjians, cheapos, and vic firth...but the Vaters are the only ones that work for me. And I mostly just play different types of rock.

As far as thrones, pork pies are really nice, but my roc n' soc drum throne is AMAZING. That would be something you get down the road if you find yourself playing for hours on end, daily. If just for a few hours couple times a week, I'd say just get a cheapo one.

The cheap pdp throne I used for a really long time was only like 30 bucks-didn't wobble very badly or come loose too easily-seemed sturdy for the price.

For sticks, bass drum pedals, and thrones you probably want to go to a major music store and sit/hold/ try them out...for sticks it's gona take some trial and error before you find one that suits you.

13. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

Is there a particular Yamaha set you would recommend? As for sticks, I was planning on trying a bunch, I was just looking to get pointed in the right direction.

14. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ya..you need at least 600 for a decent used cuz you're gonna need hardware and cymbals as well. Good starters kits are tama rock stars, and pdp.

15. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I’m currently trying Vater Fusion Hickory Wood Tip. Before I used Vic Firth Peter Erskine Signature, but I wanted something cheaper with a bigger ball head.

What style of music do you want to play, and related to that, what number and sizes of shells do you need or want?
    These are a few prototypic configurations, but in no way obligatory or complete:
    • mainstream rock/pop/fusion/funk with medium sized (22") bass drum and 3–5 toms
    • “Man sized” rock shells with big bass drum (24"–26") and toms (Led Zeppelin/John Bonham style)
    • Metal with small-medium double (20") bass drums and many toms
    • Jazz with a small (16"–18") bass drum and few small toms
    • Drum&Bass/electronic on acoustic drums with small (12"–13") snare snaredrum, otherwise similar to jazz
    Then there are laquered/waxed/oiled or wrapped shells, or acrylic and other kinds of exotics. And many more variations …

Ludwell01 likes this.
  16. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

I'm going to be playing a mix of pop and rock, but I was thinking about getting a electric kit as opposed to a acoustic kit.

17. Makaveli

Makaveli Loaded Pockets

Electronic kits are a hit or miss for most. You can find decent kits that are as close to an acoustic kit as you can but those are expensive.

In my current situation i could use the flexibility you can get from an electronic kit but i cant do it. I need acoustic drums, the felling on both dont compare.

As far as what work best regarding sticks etc. What i recommend is going with what you can afford and later when you have been playing for a while investing in a good kit. Try different things, what works for you may not work for others.

I know a lot of professional drummers and each have their own style and preference on everything.

While i worked at a radio station i played and made friends with a lot of them and it was interesting to play their set ups.

Start with some sticks and a practice pad, go from there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

18. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

I prefer the flexibility of electric kits, and the aesthetics of the kit don't matter right now, as I won't be playing gigs. Right now, I'm just trying to get suggestions as to what electric kits are any good.

19. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

Anybody got any suggestions?

20. Makaveli

Makaveli Loaded Pockets

Roland from what i hear makes good electronic kits but you will have to search hard for a used kit in your price range. Don't settle for cheap

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD