1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any drummers here?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by KB3UBW, Feb 20, 2013.

1. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

So I just started drumming, but I still need to get some drums, cause right now I'm just using a Yamaha DD-6 from my friends basement. So I was wondering if y'all had any recommendations for a first drum set? I'm looking to spend about $250-$300, but I might be able to stretch that a bit further. Also, what sticks/stool, would y'all recommend? Thanks for the help.

KB3UBW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Makaveli

Makaveli Loaded Pockets

For that price range you may have to stick with used.

You can find complete kits for about $600 but you are not talking great stuff.

For $800ish you can get a pdp concept maple kit but thats just for the drums, you need everything else. If you are not in a rush I would suggest using what you are not and saving

You can always get a practice pad and practice rudiments while you get a kit.

Its not cheap to start. Dont get something cheap. Sound wise is not worth it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

WWW likes this.
  3. Mighty Max
    • In Omnia Paratus

Mighty Max Loaded Pockets

+1 ^^^
    You might want to save and get the best used gear you can find. 600 might do.

Ogre and ProjeKtWEREWOLF like this.
  4. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

What brand names should I be looking for?

5. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

Used only for that money. I played for over a year on a borrowed, cannibalised kit before buying a Yamaha Stage Custom.

6. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

I have no problems buying used, as long as its still good equipment.

7. Makaveli

Makaveli Loaded Pockets

Well it depends, since you are on a budget you should worry about the $

Same for the type of wood. Birch... Maple etc.

I like DW drums and PDP is made by them. My next kit will be a DW maple/mahogany kit.

If you can find a good use kit and replace the skins for something good you will be good for a while

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Mighty Max likes this.
  8. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Got a PDP CX for 200 off CL. Great for that price! :p
    Often see the PDP platinum and Gretsch Renown kits goin for under 6 though if you want to spend a little more. And do go cheap on the cymbals-for that price, I guess you'll have to take what you can get. Oh and Gretsch Catalinas for a little cheaper than the classic Vistalites. There's a lot of options out there.

But like EDC gear, might as well get something you really want the first time and you'll end up saving money. Sell some other gear if you don't use it and invest in some good equipment. I traded most of my old guitar equipment for Hand Hammered Sabians and Zildjian A's. Also bought an Iron Cobra double chain off ebay for like 50 bucks. Don't forget ebay and CL-they can be your best friends.

Ogre and Mighty Max like this.
  9. Mighty Max
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sweet double pedal action. :rolleyes:

Ogre and Cornholio2188 like this.
  10. Cornholio2188

Hah-I don't really do double bass :p Single pedal all the way.

11. Mighty Max
    • In Omnia Paratus

I go double speed on a single. Sike, I play the bass :D (guitar)

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  12. Cornholio2188

Gotta agree with MMax^^

Yeah-and 600 is cheap-that's the lowest I'd go-and definitely used. Used you'll sometimes get hardware and cymbals thrown in. I think a "decent" used kit will normally be around 3-400 if you're lucky-and that's without another hundred (at least) for stands

and maybe another 50-100 for a quality used pedal,

and cymbals at least 200 if you don't want them to have too much wishy washy overtones or sound like gongs and crack after playing some swingin' jazz LMAO.

13. Cornholio2188

Please don't cheap out on sound-you'll only be disappointing yourself.
    ...And neighbors. And roomates. And parents if you live with them. And the household cat/dog/llama.

Seriously, I used to be a budget shopper on music equipment. All my decent gear was given to me by my uncle-but the stuff I bought was all unreliable, and it sounded like 2-400 dollar guitars. And the only thing that sounds worse than cheap guitars is a cheap drumset. Finally found some deals and got me an okay drumset and good cymbals and heads-oh man...

I felt like it was the best decision I'd made in my life (hadn't made too many good ones), and I feel good every time I play it-think about it. You could feel self-conscious/regretful every time you pick up the sticks, or you could feel like you worked hard for this one and be satisfied every single time. Also-it makes you feel like you play better ;)

ProjeKtWEREWOLF, Ogre and Mighty Max like this.
  14. Cornholio2188

Hah-awesome! You could be playing double bass on a double neck!
    Some people can play just as fast as some double bass players on a single pedal using the slide technique or heel-toe-both of which I FAIL at.

Mighty Max likes this.
  15. Mighty Max
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yeah, I had a crappy squire bass for a long time and when I finally pulled the trigger on a real Fender, it was like night and day.

16. Ogre

Ogre Banned

i played for about 5 years on a REALLY crappy 5pc CB set. i mean horrible. by the time i got rid of them they were falling apart, and i wasn't gigging, just jamming in a couple of garages. still, they allowed me to play and to learn a lot. i bought the set used for about 250 with some sabian B8 cymbals, again crappy.

since i wasnt playing gigs, or recording in a studio, it didnt matter to me. i was able to jam with friends and have a good time, and that's all that really matters.

now im playing on a cheap electric set, but if i ever buy acoustic drums again ill buy a decent set

Cornholio2188 and Mighty Max like this.
  17. Ogre

Ogre Banned

oh the pedal that came with the CB drums was garbage. fell apart quick, super floppy. i went out and bought a dw 7000 double pedal.......actually still have that pedal

18. Mighty Max
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thats another way to look at it :)

19. Cornholio2188

The difference between even a Mexican made or American made Fender is a huge difference-then again, so is the price :p
    To me they look the same, feel pretty much same, and almost play the same-but when you play the pro stuff it's crazy how much of a difference there is (and how much I feel like I shouldn't be playing it).

I think those PDP sets are pretty darn decent for the price-sure they're no DW, but they also don't cost upwards of 3,000 bucks for just the shell pack...I used to have a Pearl Export, and I thought it was okay until I got the PDP...

Mighty Max likes this.
  20. Cornholio2188

LOL what do you expect?! :p It's a CB drum pedal....Did you get it when it was standard double chain drive? I remember last time I looked at them they were 200 or 250 for single chain drive...what a RIP

Ogre likes this.