1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

any drawbacks on a Marathon?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by oranges, Jan 20, 2008.

1. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

I have searched, and everyone seems to be very optimistic about them. I was curious if there is any down side.

Oh, and what size Zulu band do I need for a SAR?

Anyone go Zulu and regret not having the metal band? I am curious what I should do. This is going to be my beater watch, but never had a nylon band before. Any experiences appreciated. Thanks.

2. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

Well, I absolutely love my T-SAR, but there are maybe two things I don't like....

The first thing I don't like is the location of the crown....most people wear their watches on the left hand....with the crown in the center of the case at the 3:00 position, so sometimes the crown digs into the back of my hand. The crown on my Seiko's is slightly lower (at the 4:00 position) so it's not as noticable....not really a big thing, but just a picky observation I've had....

The second thing, and not at all bad...is the night time "flashlight" effect of my T-SAR's Tritium tubes....the sucker is BrIgHt as HECK! LOL...so if yo can't sleep with the light's on....make sure you leave your watch on the dresser before you hit the hay ;)

As for the Zulu strap, I have a one piece Maratac Zulu strap...from what I heard from the Marathon owners I questioned, the one piece is safer, as you would have to lose BOTH pins before the watch would fall off....I have lost watches before when a two piece strap is attached, and a pin pops out. One thing worth mentioning is that the pins or "bars" on these are much beefier than on most watches....

Overall I would not hesitate buying one....as a matter of fact, when funds permit I am going to look for an automatic SAR model to add to the collection.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your purchase! There is a Marathon thread somewhere here that offers up a good dealer (same guy I got mine from)....

3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Everything has a down side! Everything.

I've been wearing my Marathon SAR for about a month now. Here are some observations:

• [size=12pt]It is so thick that I cannot button my shirt sleeves over it.
    • The adjustment knob is so large that it gouges my wrist in certain positions.
    • The tritium markers are so bright that it can be seen from 50 feet away.

I use a Zulu 20mm, brushed finish, four-buckle band in either black or OD green. I am contemplating adding the stainless band later this year.

This is a work watch for me and it don't take any precaution to prevent scratches.

At with any watch that I happen to be wearing on Monday when I'm in the office, I synchronize it to the GPS receiver.

So far, his watch has only been 3-4 seconds off (fast) from the GPS on the three occasions that I compared it.

I am pleased with this product.

4. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

• This is exactly what I was trying to say....if you wore it on your right hand it wouldn't be a problem....but who wants to do that!?!

5. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Awesome post! Thank you. I appreciate the small things you noticed, being meticulous is an awesome trait. I am so excited!

6. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Interesting, same as LZ. Thanks for the post. I am definitely not seeing anything to scare me off from buying. Just curious why you are considering the metal band. Zulu not getting it done in terms of comfort or aesthetics? I have worn a metal band watch for so long, I don't know if nylon is for me. But I do love the aesthetics of a orange or OD Zulu band. Just don't know if I will like it in person.

7. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I've been quite happy with my Navigator.

8. urso

urso Loaded Pockets

My TSAR has proven to be one heck of a tough watch, keeps great time, and quite reliable- really a fantastic timepiece. :smitten:

I'm also planning on getting an automatic GSAR one day too, when the money is there.

9. Brickout

Brickout Loaded Pockets

I can't give you any advice on the Marathon because I do not own one...yet! But if you plan on ordering your watch from County Comm they'll give you a Zulu band for free.

In case you're wondering what the difference between Zulu and Nato bands are, from what I can tell Zulu have rounded rings and Nato have squared rings.

"Will you like the band?" Not sure, you just might. I have metal bands on almost all my watches. But on one of my Seiko dive watches (my beater) I have a Bond Nato band and I just love it! It's very comfortable and I think it gives the watch more of a 'functional' look and less of a 'dressy' look that the stainless band gives. Plus the black & gray band looks great with the black & white face of the watch. They really go well together.

Like I said earlier, if you order from County Comm you'll be getting the band with the watch. So it's not going to be of any extra cost to you. You can try it out to see if you like it. Or if you order one, they're only $14 to $16 plus shipping. So they're really not all that expensive to try out anyway.

10. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone! Thanks Brickout. You guys are awesome. I really appreciate the feedback. I ended up ordering it.. with metal band. I can't wait!!! I didn't order from CountyComm cause they were sold out. Oh well. I don't think I am gonna wear it without the metal band anyways.

11. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

LZ, I just saw your pics you posted. You got me scared sir. Either you have mammoth hands and arms, are the Marathon may be a bit small. I am a regular sized guy, so I am hoping you tell me you are a borderline giant. lol. ;D

12. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Another question. I know these are dive watches. But was curious about when its time to replace the batteries... when replaced will it lose its water proof factor like many other watches do??

13. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

:lolhammer: I'm only 6ft8 ....(in my dreams)...no seriously I'm average size Canadian Lad....Just under 6ft about 235pds...

The Marathon is actually about 2mm smaller in diameter than the seiko 007/009's.
    They also have smaller Lugs and use a 20mm band as opposed to the 22mm used by most Seiko dive watches....

I have no idea about the waterproofness after battery replacement...mine is still going strong as ever...my thought however is that you won't have problems if you use an authorized dealer for repairs...

14. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Oh boy, now I am a bit concerned as I thought the Marathon would be a strong sized watch. Oh well, I've wanted one for long enough now and should have it in a few days!

Wait... how do I find an authorized dealer? I couldn't find any that were even remotely close to me.

15. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

If I ever need service, I'll call Marathon's NA number: 800-822-4329.

16. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

Don't worry Oranges, the Marathon's definately have "the beef" you're looking for....built solid....you'll see!

Which model did you buy?

17. Jlyrgr

Jlyrgr Loaded Pockets

I hopped in kind of late on this one... but wanted to ask a question of the Zulu band owners:
    Any issues with a nylons band getting... well... stinky? I have had an aversion to any kind of cloth / fabric watch band because past experiences had them get nasty after awhile. I live in SC, and it gets hot in the summer, likewise the sand and sea water seem to "set up residence" in the cloth bands and have a "beachy" smell to them. I didn't know if the NATO band fabric countered this for some reason / etc. Thanks for the heads up. I have been watching th County Comm site, and hope to order soon. One other thing, how long is the lifespan of the tritium tubes?

Thanks

18. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Ahh thanks. Would you go to them just for a simple battery swap even?

19. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Uhh, TSAR.. I think. Quartz.

I seriously am so excited. Weird.

20. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

I got the watch! I love it!!!!!!!!! Super good decision to buy it. I am loving everything about it. Just gotta get the metal band on now.

QUESTION! Can you guys do me a favor please? When the crown is fully out (adjusting time position) does the crown have play from side to side? Mine does a little. PLEASE CHECK for me. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.