1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any Defib trainers on here?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by smellypaddler, Nov 22, 2014.

1. smellypaddler

smellypaddler Loaded Pockets

This is going to be a long shot but am hoping that someone might be able to help. I have just bought a Phillips FR2+ defibrillator to use for training as I have my own small first aid training company. I have the training and admin lack for it which works great but I need to change the protocols as it still wants to deliver 3 stacked shocks and 1 minute of CPR etc. I have googled everywhere for the instructions that accompany the training and admin pack but can't find any. Does anyone on here have access to a copy that they could have a look at and tell me which buttons to press in order to access and change the current protocols.

Many thanks in advance to anyone that can help?

2. CHARLIE O

CHARLIE O Loaded Pockets

I am not familiar with that brand or model. You may have to contact the company directly to get support for them to reprogram it. My department just had to buy a couple thousand new AEDs due to the fact that the previous models did not allow for the protocols to be changed. It was time to replace them any way.

Good luck with it.

3. smellypaddler

Thanks Charlie O, this defib has a training and admin pack that allows you to change the protocols, only problem is that I can't figure out for the life of me which configuration of buttons to push to access the protocol menu. Phillips will sell the instruction booklet for around $30 but I really only need to know one thing, once and I'll be set. Cheers for your reply.

4. smellypaddler

Please ignore my post above. I managed to find a 1 line obscure reference hidden in the 166 page manual and now have my defib set to current protocols as well as the ability to manually charge and shock. Now just need to find a willing victim/volunteer/dog/mother in law .....err patient to practice on.

Russ Prechtl likes this.
  5. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

Manually charge and shock, like without the AED analyzing? Without a cardiac monitor to verify the patient is in V fib why would you be doing that?

thekapow and brand0n like this.
  6. smellypaddler

Maybe because it has an ECG monitor screen that allows you to assess cardiac rhythms and some AED's such as those from phillips are known to not advise a shock in patients in pulseless VT with a rate under 150

7. smellypaddler

Plus it should be good fun at parties or after a marathon session of beer pong.

8. munkynut454

munkynut454 Loaded Pockets

I am an Automated External Defibrillator instructor, I assume you are after someone to train EMT/Paramedic level use because manual override shocking is something only taught to more advanced practitioners here.
    The FR2 has been discontinued as far as I am aware (it's the one we currently use) and is being replaced.
    Whatever you teach, always emphasise good pad placement because not all AED's work on the same principle, namely some are biphasic whereas others are monophasic. If the pads are the wrong way round then it won't work. My knowledge is limited to the FR2 and the attendant Laerdal training unit but I can try to help.

9. smellypaddler

Thanks Munkynut, I figured out what I needed to do I'm all good but thanks for the offer. I am only teaching AED but wanted the manual override option for myself in case I need to use it. I'm an Advanced Life Support Paramedic and registered nurse with advanced life support qualifications. Thanks.