1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

any cyclists out there?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Angry Scientist, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Angry Scientist

Angry Scientist Empty Pockets

anyone have one of these? it says it has a "keychain loop", but i'm wondering how large it is, and if it would really fit on a keychain comfortably?? looks to be perfect for what i need to have on me when i'm in the saddle. i commute to work a few times a week by bike, and small, lightweight tools are a must...

made by ritchey:

image link

2. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

Looks cool but I'm not usre it would make good use of space when packed. Geez, I would hate to think of that thing being in my pocket!
    If I stowed that in my under seat bag I could see other things getting pulled out along with it. What is the overall length and how much does it cost?

3. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

looks too oddly shaped to be useful. why not just get a regular ol' bike tool where the tools fold in/out as you need them?

4. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would check out the specialized EMT race multi tool it fits in a jersey pocket easy enough or a pants pocket.

5. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Modern bikes don't need a lot of tools. I think mine is completely standardized on 5mm and 8mm allen wrenches, and everything else isn't important enough to fix on the road. I would recommend a chain tool, however.

6. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Just carry one of those small multitools by Parktool or Crank Bros, etc. It's not all that much and it fits nicely into a saddlebag. I usually pack CO2 and patch kit in case of flats and a 14mm (was it?) hex wrench so I can take off the wheels on my fixed gear.

7. ssmtbracer

15mm

8. ssmtbracer

Its always good to have a multi tool with chain tool. You never know when you might need a allen not to always fix your bike just maybe adjust it. Like if you crash and your bars or seat move. or things of that nature

9. heckboy

heckboy Empty Pockets

I'm a bike commuter/randonneur/tourist. On one of my bikes I have one of these in the seat bag. Although I don't keychain carry it I think it would be more doable than the Ritchey tool. I have a thing for bike multi-tools. I'll have to pick up the Ritchey for my collection.

Later,
    HB

10. Angry Scientist

Angry Scientist Empty Pockets

i have that park tools tool, and find it useless most of the time, the short length of the hexheads makes it hard to use for anything on the bike, its a neat little tool though...

11. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

If only I had a modern bike... :p

My 1994 Trek works quite nicely, but it takes a lot of different tools to handle everything that might need adjusting. I keep a Topeak Alien II in my seat bag. It has saved me from a lot of unexpected walking.

--Bob Q

12. heckboy

heckboy Empty Pockets

Interesting. I haven't experienced that.

13. skullpin

skullpin Empty Pockets

That Park MT1 is neat, and often useful, but it is very pokey. Try bearing down on it to loosen over-tightened bolts. Also, all those bits coming off the ends get in the way in tight places.

14. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I also have the Park Tool and agree it's not very useful....for the reasons stated by an earlier poster. I carry a now-discontinued Blackburn Road tool. I have never ever carried a chain tool for road riding. I've been riding seriously since 1981 and have never had occasion to use one on the road. I don't ride mountain bikes, so I don't know if that would hold for that type of riding.

15. ssmtbracer

you should always carry a chain tool. Because your chain is the most vital thing on you bike to keep you going. If you break your derailleur you can make you bike a single speed but only if you have a chain tool or if you break the hanger. I have seen these kind of thing happen on the road bike all to often.

16. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

17. ssmtbracer

18. vaildrop

vaildrop Empty Pockets

I've an older Trek, too, and you're right; everything adjustable needs a tool of its own. Very annoying. I've got about five allen keys, and that's without the different sized bolts and screwheads. I've got the kitchen sink under my saddle, with a couple of spare chain links and some mechanic's soap for when out and about and needing to tinker with something unexpectedly gone wrong!

Nothing lightweight about my toolkit at all, although I may have a look into this Topeak Alien; I had a brief look at it once, but a second perusal may be in order.

19. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

When I bought my bike 2 years ago I talked the guy in the shop into throwing in a bottle holder and a kit like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SJZ7DC/ref=asc_df_B001SJZ7DC950299?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B001SJZ7DC, most of the under saddle bags have a folding multi tool and the combo wrenches, and what I like about mine is it has a spare tube, a puncture kit and a chainbreaker as well. The thing at the beginning of this thread looks too difficult to stow anywhere.

20. Bogart

Bogart Empty Pockets

I'm a big fan of the Crank Bros. line of tools. I carry the large one on my pole dancing bike and use it all the time.