1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any cool USB flash drives out there?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Minion, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Minion

Minion Loaded Pockets

I've seen the Swissflash.
    I'm just wondering what you all use?
    I'm looking for one and just want to see whats out there! Maybe waterproof?!

2. LupinIII

LupinIII Loaded Pockets

Not sure if this qualifies as "cool", but I carry an 8GB Cruzer. Sometimes, I wish I had a larger capacity drive for transferring media files, but 8GB is generally more than enough.

After putting the drive through both the washer and dryer, I can attest to the quality of the Cruzer drives. I heard something banging around in my dryer, popped it open, and to my dismay found the drive in there. I was amazed when I plugged her in, and all of the data on the drive was still intact.

I have seen some pretty interesting designs though. My friend had a USB drive shaped like a certain essential male body part, got quite a few stares and laughs.

Ethan459625 likes this.
  3. casamance

casamance Loaded Pockets

Hmm, sorry to disappoint on the "coolness" front but I carry a 1G USB drive from Trekstor and have been for years. I used to go through one USB drive a year almost but although I lost the cap on this one, it has lasted the longest and is still going strong.

I have looked at "cool" USB drives before but I was put off by the silly pricing. I simply can't justify the plastic Darth-Vader add-on to something that is probably not going to last anyway.

4. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

I carry a 4 GB Transcend JetFlash.I liked the Cruzer, but I don't have any money.

5. happygypsy

happygypsy Loaded Pockets

I carry a tiny stainless waterproof pico 8gb... The packaging said waterproof but I'm a but scared to test it! I mainly like it because it's tiny.

6. Kardolf

Kardolf Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of Titanium Cruzers, if that counts as cool. 1GB and 2GB, if I recall correctly. Last time I bought a USB drive, though, all I could find was the plastic Cruzer (I was in a rush), so I have an 8GB plastic on my keychain that I carry at work.

7. Effzedess

Effzedess Empty Pockets

8. Minion

Minion Loaded Pockets

If you think it is, then it is cool. lol
    Really a cruzer survived a dishwasher?? How did it even get in there?

9. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

10. Wooden Foot

Wooden Foot Empty Pockets

I carry a PNY 2gb. I think it cost me 9 bucks a wal-mart... not sure about the waterproofness though.

11. xBlue

xBlue Empty Pockets

The one at Tadgear really caught my eye. Dog tags ftw

[​IMG]

Evilbunny likes this.
  12. Minion

Minion Loaded Pockets

Lol awesome!! Do they put your stats on them?

13. Minion

Minion Loaded Pockets

14. xBlue

xBlue Empty Pockets

I think they all come pre-etched with Tadgear's skull character, but yours would be an awesome idea O0

15. BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY Loaded Pockets

How about the Swiss Army one?

16. GQGeek81

GQGeek81 Loaded Pockets

The waterproofing is a non issue as someone mentioned above. You can find countless accounts of putting these things through the wash to no ill effect so long as you don't plug them in while still wet.

To me it makes more sense to get a small card reader.

My EDC is a Sandisk micro SD/M2 reader as seen here

I think I may have spent $6 shipped for it and then another $11 or so for an 8gig microSD card.

At the time I could put it in my phone it needed (my current phone doesn't take them) and with an adapter I can use it in my camera if I should manage to fill up the dedicated card I keep in it.

By starting with the smallest size, you have a lot of options and you can get the adapters for pennies.

With microSD you can size up through the whole SD family, some Sony sticks and some XD cameras can also take a microSD with an adapter. Just about anything can turn into Compact Flash and there's the USB drives as well.

Currently, I'm looking for a cheap 32 flash drive to use for backups.

I have a 4 gig setup with Clonezilla as a bootable drive that I can plug in and create an image of my OS drive and store it on my big external drive.

With a bigger flash drive I could store a copy on the same drive I have Clonezilla loaded on and keep it elsewhere.

I'm a bit excited to try out these things in USB 3.0 flavors but its going to be a while before you'll be able to use them many places even if you do find one.

17. Minion

Minion Loaded Pockets

Wow thanks for the info!!! Most helpful!!!

18. Gat_Pig

Gat_Pig Empty Pockets

[​IMG]

I wanted a corsair survivor but couldn't justify the cost of it..

Very cool though--its waterproof, shockproof, and looks like James Bond crap..

qqb825 likes this.
  19. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

I want to second the SD Card adapter idea. Another advantage is if you are tied to the BlackBerry platform, you can keep the SD card in your phone -- and if lost -- it can be remotely wiped. You have to watch the cordage on the adapter. The hole is small and the cords that fit wear out quickly.

20. burntrat

burntrat Loaded Pockets