1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any car mechanics in the house?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Highbinder, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

To help me diagnose a worrisome clunking noise?

I own an '06 plate Ford Fusion, around 115k on it. Recently it has developed a clunking noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear left (although sometimes sounds more central under the car).

It may or may not be related to an incident I had on a little backroad recently, where I had to pass a car coming the other way which didn't want to move over all the way and whilst trying to get past him my left side wheels came off the road surface and down onto the verge (road surface was a few inches higher), so it's possible I've knocked something out of place during that.

Its' also quite old with some miles on it so possible something has just worn out.

Anyway, symptoms are:

- Clunking going over bumps/holes & 'something loose' rattling on rough roads
    - Clunking under hard acceleration (more noticable at low speed)
    - Clunking under hard braking (low speed)
    - No noises during turning
    - No noticable deteriation in driving
    - (maybe related or not), but a lot of steering wheel vibration at higher speeds

I'm not mechanically inclined but I've been doing some research as to possible causes so I'm more informed when I take it into a garage.

Possible causes seem to be:

- Sway bar linkage
    - Strut bearing
    - CV joint (don't think so as no noise on turning)
    - Shocks / shock mount
    - End links

It's raining hard today but I plan on getting under and having a good root around and see if theres any obvious signs of damage, worn or cracked parts or excessive play but tbh don't really know what I'm looking for.

So, I turn to you guys in the hopes someone can help me rule out possible causes. Are there any checks I can perform to determine whats' causing the issue?

My gut it telling me it's the sway bar from the general rattling on average surfaces and heavier clunks over bumps.

Last edited by Highbinder, Mar 29, 2015
  2. M-14

M-14 Loaded Pockets

Might want to try garagejournal.com

3. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I'll check it out

4. mikeylikesit5805

mikeylikesit5805 Loaded Pockets

I bet you bent a sway bar.... But yes garage journal is awesome!