1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any C=64 junkies on the boards?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Sharaz_Jek, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

I finally dug my system out and got it set up again...

[​IMG]

Omega Man, Ataki, surefire7 and 2 others like this.
  2. 10i

10i Loaded Pockets

I used to have one of these when I was a teen.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

powerring and ManVsLawn like this.
  3. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Whoa... flashback.

Sharaz_Jek, powerring and ManVsLawn like this.
  4. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I was a Commodore 64 enthusiast for many years. I had both the original 64 and the follow on Commodore 64c (which had the same guts, but a sleeker look). I recognize a lot of the hardware I had in your photo, including the best joystick ever made, the Epyx 500XJ, and the slowpoke C1530 tape drive.

I've spent my entire adult life in IT but I don't think I ever enjoyed a computer more than my good old 64. I spent many hours playing Jumpman, Skyfox and International Soccer mixed with writing papers using Paperclip, programming with Simons BASIC, discovering the online world with QuantumLink. Later GEOS introduced me to my first GUI.

Commodore introduced a lot of folks to computers during the late 70's and 80's and I'll always remember the Vic, 64, 128, and Amiga with great fondness. :)

5. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I was a huge Commodore fan. Had all of them, including an original PET (one of those keyboard/monitor all in one things). Was still using the Amiga daily in the '90's, until a friend told me I needed to move up to an "IBM compatible" computer. How weird is it that in such a short period of time IBM compatibility became a non-issue, and, "Does it work with Windows" became the big thing? But I still miss DR-DOS and GEOS from time to time. I may have to drag the 128 out of the closet and play with it for awhile. And repossess the Amiga from that same friend.

6. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Wow a PET! I never had any first hand experience with one of those or their CBM business brethren but I read a lot about them.

The C128 was one of the most powerful 8-bit computers, capable of running three distinct libraries of software: C64, C128 and CP/M, with both a 8502 processor and a Z-80.

I'll never forget the first time I saw an Amiga first hand. It was in a computer store in Northern Virginia and my jaw nearly dropped at the smoothness and quality of the animation it could display. Jay Miner and the rest of the designers were geniuses and the Amiga deserved a better fate than it ultimately received. If nothing else, the team validated a lot of concepts we would later take for granted in other personal computers such as true multitasking, co-processors for various functions (the Portia, Daphne and Agnes processors), and remarkable graphics and sound.

GEOS (Geoworks Ensemble) on the PC was amazing in a time when the desktop GUI battle hadn't been fully won by Windows. It was fast, memory efficient, and smooth - largely due to being largely programmed in assembly. I used it for quite a while.

The old days were fun. :D

Rasthor likes this.
  7. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I remember sitting there for hours typing and debugging SpeedScript out of Compute Magazine on the C64. It was almost as good as some of the commercial word processors of it's day. It just couldn't right justify.

The old days WERE fun.:)

Sharaz_Jek and powerring like this.
  8. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Yep. I did the same. I remember Mom unplugging my C64 to plug in the vacuum while entering one of those Compute! or Compute's Gazette apps. That will teach you to save early and often (which isn't easy with a 1530 cassette drive)!

SpeedScript was amazing for a free program. Charles Brannon, the author, was a pretty young guy when he wrote it. He wrote a lot of stuff for them. I've often wondered what happened to him.

9. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

Well, I Googled him, and, it looks like he's now the Information Technology Manager for Group U.S., which has something to do with the insurance industry.

powerring likes this.
  10. Ataki

Ataki Loaded Pockets

We had a C64 and later a C128 when I was little. I still remember playing "Murder On the Mississippi" with my older sister. My wife still gets mad at me when she complains about the Internet speed, and I respond with "Back in the day, we only had 150bps"

Rasthor, powerring and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  11. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

I've been jamming to demoscenes the last few days while folding laundry, showering,etc. I love the SID music, which shaped my childhood. Don't get me wrong, i looove the games and have fun watching playthroughs on YouTube, but the chiptunes just transport me to being a kid again.

powerring, ran23 and Rasthor like this.
  12. Rizzle O

Rizzle O Loaded Pockets

I wish I had a c64.. only retro I currently have is a Tandy 1000, all the accessories, still works great.

Sent from my HTC Desire 625 using Tapatalk

Ataki likes this.