1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anti-gun+Pro-knife?

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by MagnaWolf, Jul 30, 2010.

1. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

we all "should" be nice to one another and we "should" all be polite but in my experiance should and are dont mean the same thing.
    the threat of death is a good motivator thus- armed = polite

btw- I should be able to carry whatever i want, that does not mean that it is needed(in most cases).

2. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I understand the anti-gun sentiment, I do, but in the end a gun is so much better at self-defense than a knife. In my job I have the opportunity to see the aftermath of literally dozens, probably hundreds of fights--fisticuffs all the way up to shoot outs. Those that involve a gun on one side and a non-firearm on the other do not turn out well.

Personally, I am all but forbidden from owning a gun because of prior family history, but I would never think that my pocket knife is a suitable self-defense tool.

Finally, I strongly believe that those who want to own guns and do so responsibly should have the right to own and carry a gun. As a student of John Stuart Mill I am a big proponent in the Harm Principle--you can do whatever you want as long as it does not harm others. In those rare instances in which self-defense is an issue, obviously the Harm Principle gives way.

3. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

I have zero respect for the anti gun point of view, just as i have for prohibition in general, OTOH i have great respect for one's right to hold such a view. I've put my money where my mouth is and paid the bill for people to have such freedoms, as have many others!

4. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

Science my indicate otherwise.

If you are willing to spend the time to take in the subject matter in its entireity, I found this bit to be incredably interesting!

Go to youtube and look for - Nice Guys Finish First (1/5) - Richard Dawkins

5. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Your attitude makes discussion difficult. However, for those who might be interested, I am in favor of appropriately regulated gun ownership. For example, we restrict automatic weapons because civilians do have an appropriate use for them. I believe that should be extended to semi-automatics as well.

I do not like firearms - I have used them at target ranges, but find that some people (by no means all) believe that carrying a firearm gives them additional cojones. This is unfortunately the result, and in my observation, often IQ= 100 - weapon caliber. Again, this applies to people who simply carry without reasonable justification.

Yet, if it came down to a life or death situation, I would not hesitate to use one.

So leave some room for nuance in the discussion. We live in too complex a society now to leave everything unregulated. Either-or attitudes are rapidly becoming obsolete, if they aren't already.

6. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

This is the reason I don't call my self "pro-gun", just like I don't call myself an environmentalist. Because there are the true pros and naturalists, and ******* whack jobs like paul watson and people who scream and moan every time anything they don't like about guns is mentioned, and start to accusing other side to be either anti-gun, or sheep, or whatever name they could come up with. The titles have been so tainted that they are automatically associated with the latter types by the population.

What do you do with the animals you hunt? You kill them. What's the underlying purpose of target practice? So you can kill more efficiently. The simply fact is guns are primarily a weapon designed to kill, which they cannot accept.

7. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

This is approaching silliness, pretty soon someone will argue that "guns don't kill people, bullets do". Semantics are all fine and good, but let's get back to the topic, shall we?

:topic:

8. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

This thread is getting a bit crazy for me...I'm out...

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I go to youtube for fun. My views however are based on experiencing life. And that has clearly shown me that most people are not basically good. Although the following issues are apparently being ignored by other members, they are worth mentioning again . . .

If most people were indeed basically good, why are there so many police officers in the world? Why is it still one of the only professions that continues to not only offer a pension, but an incredibly good one too? Why are prisons over-crowded? Why is murder so common? Why are other acts of violence and brutality so common that they appear on the nightly news, every night?

If MOST people in the world were indeed basically good, Police officers would be as common as door to door salesmen. Their pay-rate would be tiny. They'd have no pension plan because most of their job would entail sitting around all day, waiting for something to happen. Not only would prisons not be over crowded, but there would be far fewer of them in the world than there actually are. Murder cases would be so rare that all of them would get the type of coverage that the O.J. Simpson case received. Other crimes would be so rare, you could turn on the nightly news and enjoy good news on a daily basis. (Instead of the rare human interest story designed specifically to make viewers feel a bit better as to the state of the world.)

I'm not surprised no one on these boards wants to tackle the points I've brought up. What is there to say? "No, you're wrong." That sort of thing? I've proven my point that MOST people in the world are not basically good. If folks don't want to deal with that reality, I can't force them to.

10. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

inanimate objects don't kill anybody!

11. FreestyleAssassin

I'm not trying to run gang busters on your life experience by what I posted. Its worth checking out before you dismiss it!

The point that you are reinforcing, is in fact put to the test via scientific method in this series of videos.

youtube - Nice Guys Finish First (1/5) - Richard Dawkins

I am not aware of any "fun" evidence that is available on youtube in regards to this matter, sorry.

12. dieselgeek

dieselgeek Loaded Pockets

Don't bring a Knife to a gun fight :)

[​IMG]

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Life is a scientific experiment. With a far larger sample of incidents than any single researcher can come up with on his own. Nothing personal, but I don't need a scientist with a degree to tell me how MOST people basically behave. I've seen and experienced human interaction. Everyone has. You don't need a scientific degree in order to be an expert on human behavior.

And, once again, all of my main points have been completely ignored. As mentioned in my last post, I won't force anyone to accept reality. Please do me a favor by not trying to force me into accepting the myth.

14. smithy

smithy Loaded Pockets

Living in Germany I am not allowed to carry a gun and am restricted in my choice of knives I carry as EDC .

On the other hand there are legal ways to maintain firearms as a hunter or for sports under very strict rules and I for one part am glad that these are controlled by the state.
    But as mentioned early in this thread not all people are law abiding or sane and everything can be turned into a weapon. Its always the mindset thats important.

The thing between all primates ears usually called brain is where it all happens thats the place where the s..t hits the van.

15. Bravo_Kilo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bravo_Kilo Loaded Pockets

You're obviously entitled to your own opinion, but your argument isn't based on sound logic. You seem to be claiming that because "we have so many cops," and because "jails are overcrowded," and because "people do bad stuff that gets put on the news" that that means most people are bad. That proves nothing. Just because we have cops does not mean most people are bad. I don't know the exact ratio of cops to citizens, but it seems on the low side for all the bad people you claim are running around out there. Just because jails are full does not mean most people are criminals. Last I checked most people are not in jail or even being arrested. There are clearly far more law abiding citizens than criminals. That is reality. You don't need a college degree to be an expert on human behavior, but it helps. You're just coming across as cynical, paranoid and illogical to boot.

And I'd wager your points are being ignored partly for the reason I pointed out above, but mostly because this thread is not about the human condition or philosophy. Back on topic.

16. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

I recall several people being killed when the face of Half Dome in Yosemite park detached and fell into the valley. Rocks are generally inanimate.

17. FreestyleAssassin

Jezz Monocrom....

I am not suggesting that you need to be a scientist!

I tried to look for all of your "main points" throughout this thread but I can't seem to put my finger on your main points from your points.

YOU'VE GOT YOUR POINTS!

I am sorry, but I just don't know what the "main" ones are. And many are just plain hyperbole.

I though it would be benificial to put up some statistical analysis via the scientific method (youtube - Nice Guys Finish First (1/5) - Richard Dawkins) and you turn around and use the word "myth" in regards to that. Cut me some slack bro!

Alot of or even possably the majority of people around YOU being bad may be YOUR reality. Please recognize that I am not trying to change your mind in regards to the people around YOU. Your mode of operation around these people serves you well I am certain.

I am acknowledging that your perspective more than likely fits YOUR environment. You could stand to acknowlede the fact that I am not trying to force you into believing differently and that instead I simply stated that here is something interesting that challenges this perspective on a broader scale utilizing statistics and the scientific method.

Brother, I am more on your side than you know.

I treat each and every individual with what ever amount of suspicion I believe that individual is due. I am of the "have a plan to kill everyone you meet" mentality. Regardless of the FACTS inherant to the disposition of human beings that can be demonstrated by scientific method.

Call me anything, but a denialist. The word is a dangerious place.

18. FreestyleAssassin

BPA, lets not get too tricky here. A Knife or Gun requires an opperator to do evil. Unless of course your trip and fall on your own knife, lmao ;)

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Really? That's the arguement you're presenting? Seriously?

Okay, hold onto the myth that MOST people are basically good. I know it's an aspect of reality that is nearly impossible for folks to swallow. But to pretend the points I raised mean nothing? . . . Whatever helps you sleep at night.

20. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

I have to side with monochrome. People are bad, only by choice do they do good. Or do you know of anyone that hasn't( wells lets go easy ) broken the 10 commandments? I think the reason you see so much good is because we are a fairly wealthy society with functioning families that try hard to educate their offspring on morals. Should our economy go bye bye and food become rare people will do ANYTHING to keep from starving. I'm no cop or paramedic but I have seen what despicable acts humans are capable of. I personally want to go down "swinging" if I'm going down. I spend at least a hour at the range every week practicing for an event that hopefully will never happen.

I do understand the idea that people can be sympathetic to knifes but not to guns. I have no problem with this, as long as they don't try to legislate my guns away from me. In which case I reserve my right (aka 2nd amendment) to use said guns on you.